U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
 
69 posts, read 428,360 times
Reputation: 53

Advertisements

I graduated with my bachelors degree in Human Resources Development last august but the only job I could muster was an overnight stock team member at Target. I spent many months trying to find work in my field and there were days when i had suicidal thoughts cause i was so depressed with the situation in this country. But I have a job for now I guess, though its only seasonal and if im laid off im not sure if i would qualify for U/E. The job I have pays 8 bucks an hour and i get $hitty hours. I have no idea how im going to survive like this for much longer but i see im not the only one going through this. I owe a LOT in student loans and I have to start repaying them starting february. I understand what you all are going through and I hope you all can muster up the strength (That im struggling to) to get through this messed up time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,906 times
Reputation: 10
Will unemployment get extended again?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 20,424,605 times
Reputation: 4720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man View Post
I graduated with my bachelors degree in Human Resources Development last august but the only job I could muster was an overnight stock team member at Target. I spent many months trying to find work in my field and there were days when i had suicidal thoughts cause i was so depressed with the situation in this country. But I have a job for now I guess, though its only seasonal and if im laid off im not sure if i would qualify for U/E. The job I have pays 8 bucks an hour and i get $hitty hours. I have no idea how im going to survive like this for much longer but i see im not the only one going through this. I owe a LOT in student loans and I have to start repaying them starting february. I understand what you all are going through and I hope you all can muster up the strength (That im struggling to) to get through this messed up time.
I feel your pain. I am so depressed sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,464,058 times
Reputation: 1610
Got an interview.

Now I'm sick! Coming down with whatever the kids had a few days ago. Ugh! I'm going to go anyway and Dayquil my way through it I suppose! I just hope that if they decide to hire I have a couple days to get better... starting a new job sick sucks! (done it before!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 20,424,605 times
Reputation: 4720
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Got an interview.

Now I'm sick! Coming down with whatever the kids had a few days ago. Ugh! I'm going to go anyway and Dayquil my way through it I suppose! I just hope that if they decide to hire I have a couple days to get better... starting a new job sick sucks! (done it before!)
I had that bad flu going around in March (caught it from my son). I normally don't get sick but got that horrible bug and I was ill for a week...had an interview on a Friday and went to it with a fever in the snow... Didn't get that job but a week or so later got something that lasted 5 months....

You can do it....hang in there...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,464,058 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I had that bad flu going around in March (caught it from my son). I normally don't get sick but got that horrible bug and I was ill for a week...had an interview on a Friday and went to it with a fever in the snow... Didn't get that job but a week or so later got something that lasted 5 months....

You can do it....hang in there...
Thanks. It's an "interview" with a staffing agency. I don't know that they pay too much attention to anything beyond your typing speed. LOL. And it's another job where they have no idea what the shift/hours will be! Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers, right!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
 
941 posts, read 2,134,664 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Got an interview.

Now I'm sick! Coming down with whatever the kids had a few days ago. Ugh! I'm going to go anyway and Dayquil my way through it I suppose! I just hope that if they decide to hire I have a couple days to get better... starting a new job sick sucks! (done it before!)
In this job market you gotta go, even if you only have one arm and one leg!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 20,424,605 times
Reputation: 4720
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Thanks. It's an "interview" with a staffing agency. I don't know that they pay too much attention to anything beyond your typing speed. LOL. And it's another job where they have no idea what the shift/hours will be! Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers, right!?
Don't be surprised if you never hear from them again, either. They just seem to be quota factories only interested in hooking in 'workers' for invisible jobs...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: 757
328 posts, read 1,449,628 times
Reputation: 112
I dont' think you can claim unemployment for a Seasonal Job??? I mean take UPS for instance, all those seasonal driver helpers and package handlers, I don't think once the job ends on or before Dec. 31 they can claim umployment. It is seasonal and you are told that from the start and the position is subject to termination at any given time...Right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,464,058 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Don't be surprised if you never hear from them again, either. They just seem to be quota factories only interested in hooking in 'workers' for invisible jobs...
Well it's a specific direct-hire position I'm after that they are hiring for... I have had so so luck with the agencies. Nothing great but in the past I had a couple good "placements"... one that was awesome in fact but then there were lay offs. :::sigh:::

OMG I feel like walking death today, day 2!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top