Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

I hope you get it. The only 'real' job I have had since living here was with an agency. My experience was positive, except when they screwed up my check a few times.

Now they have nothing going...amazing...what do they do at these places to generate revenue when they haven't any jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 02:17 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hope you get it. The only 'real' job I have had since living here was with an agency. My experience was positive, except when they screwed up my check a few times.

Now they have nothing going...amazing...what do they do at these places to generate revenue when they haven't any jobs?
Well that was a waste of time and gas money! Ugh!

I went to the staffing agency (which was FAR from my house, btw) for this specific job that they were advertising for. "Direct hire", they said. So I get there and have to wait forever for the lady to be back from lunch... apparently they told me the wrong time to show up. Then I start their computer application process and testing... then the lady shows up and informs me that they are no longer recruiting for the position I want. No idea why they didn't tell me that on the phone! I have to go directly to the hiring company (other side of town) and apply!

Thankfully she told me before I finished the rest of their testing, which would have been another hour.

Arrrgh. Wish they'd had their info straight before having me come out!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Default relocating

I have to relocate to Columbia South Carolina and don't know what to do. My daughter is over there completing her training with the army and wants to stay there the weather is good for my son's asthma. The army won't accept her transfer until she have a place to go in Columbia plus she is also attending school there. I need to find an apartment soon a job and a small car could some help I have apply for different jobs there but in order for them to consider me I have to be there. thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
I'm saying the hell with. I've quit looking for work. I just filed for an extension on my UI. I'm just going to sit on my my butt and comtemplate a career change and how to go about it. No jobs here, and the ones that may be out there pay less than my unemployment. Why not just sit on my a$$ and drink beer? This job market is scary as hell, especially where I live.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
You live in California, the UCs are cheap as all hell.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
At this point any position possible, funny thing is everyone wants exp now no one is willing to train people anymore. Even janitors are required to have experience, for what to mop a floor???
It has been forecasted that within ten to fifteen years 75% of all jobs in the US will require at least a BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
It is a bit of a slap in the face.
It is, but this is nothing new. Talk to people who are in their 30's and 40's and you will see that they had similar experiences when they were fresh out of college.

Quote:
Something needs to change. The people in my area are complaining that very few young people are coming back to the region b/c of lack of jobs.
Once again, same old sh*t for the past 20+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
LOL yes, I've seen ads for maids / housekeepers that want experience. For some absurd reason, having LIVED IN A HOUSE for 37 years and having had a hand in cleaning since I was, oh, 5 or so, does not "count" as experience. Nor does having cleaned up after 3 kids and 2 dogs and numerous cats for decades. Whatever. Dumb.
I have been working on my own vehicles for about the last twenty years. Even with all of that experience, I cannot get a job in a shop because I do not have the formal training. And, even if I did get hired, would you really want me to work on your car, even if I did know what I was doing?

You know how to keep your house clean, not others.

Quote:
From what I've been seeing so far, people are preferring the latter b/c they have "experience". Though, new people might have more updated knowledge. Experienced people may go back to update their education, but some of them prefer to stick with what they know. Yes, experience is very important, but it is also ridiculous to expect experience when no one is hiring new people to gain experience?
Once again, something that every young adult says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexbaud View Post
However, I was let go again in Augest and have been out of work since. I have since applied for 45+ jobs and have yet to get a single phone call.
Not to sound intentionally rude, but did you bother to call any of them yourself? Employers may tell you not to call, but the reality is that they are not going to offer a job to someone that feel is not interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Guys,

Health care is where the jobs are. If you can somehow retool and get re-educated in the health care field, you will have a job from Day 1. The pay is also good. Nurses can start at $20 per hour.
Nursing positions can pay up $30 an hour depending on your location. Maybe more?

Yes, the health field is always in demand, except I should warn that nursing programs are one of the more popular programs being offered by colleges these days. While there are many in-demand positions right now, five or ten years from now the field is going to be flooded with too many graduates/job seekers. Just like what happened with doctors and lawyers in the 1980's. Just because the job is hot now, does not mean that it will be tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgossipcolumn View Post
With a lot of "us" college grads and "us" who have a degree in something....... why is it that "we" are the ones having a tough time stepping foot in a work field? I mean, there are soooooo many, and I mean, many high school drop outs and people who didn't even go to college... or better yet, never finished college.... these are the ones who are actually employed.

I mean, if I would of known that I'm just going to have a tough time finding a career with my degree... I would of NOT invested and spent all these thousands of dollars for 4 years in college!

Now, I'm unemployed......... AND can't even pay for my student loans!...... I'll be paying that off til I'm in my grave! the way the economy is right now. =(

And DON'T ever think you're the "loser" in your family.... it's NOT your fault.......... that's what we get if we're ran by a screwed up... dirty government and in America.... you're either poor or rich.... "us" middle class citizens... they don't care about us................ we don't even exist and "we" are the ones running and bringing money into this country...............

So, when election comes around.... please vote for OBAMA..... WE do NEED desperate change..... and specially for people who are unemployed... well, WE do need him in that white house =)
I know that you are from California and all, but I seriously hope that you do not talk like this during interviews. Nor Cal rules, by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
Well I mean to be fair there are some jobs out there. The problem is that they are generally low paying and involve general labor which would be a waste of time for someone with a bachelors degree (someone like myself in business finance/some accounting). Finding not just a good job but ANY job requiring my degree and helping my career path is the tough part.
You know, there are jobs out there, but too many people are not willing to go for the lower pay or they feel that they are above the position. Which is funny because these are generally the same people who moan about illegals coming in and stealing jobs from Americans. Funny, since they are 'stealing' jobs that most Americans are not willing to do.

You have the right attitude, though; not many college graduates realize that you have to start out on the bottom and work your self up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
A lot of the problems are what you are studying in college--remember colleges are businesses, not 'career guidance counselors.' Where I used to live they kept advertising at one college how they would graduate X amount of education students a year.
I would expand on this by saying that far too many young adults are getting educated in fields that seem 'cool' or give some notion of making them tons of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Take me for example. I have clerical skills and my work history is primarily in clerical crap. Personally I could care less what I am doing if it pays the same so let's say tomorrow I want to go work in a plant nursery for the same money but I'd have to work weekends...... then I decide later I need to go back to clerical for the hours or schedule for child care reasons. It's still going to be an issue with people hiring for office jobs, that I spent the past couple years taking care of plants....
You don't forget your work skills. Even if you took a few years off from clerical to raise plants you can still go back. And I can guaranty you this: working in a nursery looks a heck of a lot better then not working at all.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
You live in California, the UCs are cheap as all hell.
Higher education is a bargain in CA. I have a mortgage with kids. It's either online or night school in San Luis Obispo, because moving isn't an option. I need to look in to attneding school while receiving UI, or work and go to night school or the online thing. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO MAJOR IN OR STUDY!!!I WANT TO BE INSURED A JOB!!!what the hell to do?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Regarding working as a nurse, the field really cannot be flooded, at least not easily. The average U.S. RN is something like 54 years old. Many many hospital diploma programs have closed. The 2-year community colleges have something like a 10-1 applicant/acceptance rate. The needs are going up with the aging population.
That said, many foreign nurses are coming here, especially from the Philippines. Filipino doctors are becoming nurses to come here and make money. However, foreign nurses have to pass the English language test and nursing boards here- they can't just show up, as in other fields.
And hey, in 5-10 years I'll be ditching my license, I hope- there's a job right there!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Who would you rather hire?

A new person with a fresh new attitude, willing to learn, hardworking and responsible.
OR
A experienced know it all jerk off, who does'nt want people to tell him anything, lazy and calls out of work every other day?
Now that's not even FAIR.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
I just found out my husband is getting laid off indefinitely,today. I am scared to death. Jobs are next to impossible to find in our area,and w/ a 17 month old baby w/ cerebral palsy,I can't bring myself to stick him in daycare & go to back to work. Right before Christmas,too... I don't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment