Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

Do I regret it? Nope.

Some things are more important than a job, like one's mental health, one's self respect, and one's physical health.

However, it is scary. But I believe the tide is going to turn for all of us. Maybe not for a couple of years, but there are things to do, meanwhile. Lots of self-improvement things could be taking place in that time.

At any rate, we are all on this Titanic together, right? We are so wealthy that we are spoiled. We don't know what it means to live like those in other countries. We may just get a glimpse of it in the years that come, and maybe there is a silver lining to every cloud, myself included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Do I regret it? Nope.

Some things are more important than a job, like one's mental health, one's self respect, and one's physical health.

However, it is scary. But I believe the tide is going to turn for all of us. Maybe not for a couple of years, but there are things to do, meanwhile. Lots of self-improvement things could be taking place in that time.

At any rate, we are all on this Titanic together, right? We are so wealthy that we are spoiled. We don't know what it means to live like those in other countries. We may just get a glimpse of it in the years that come, and maybe there is a silver lining to every cloud, myself included.
You had problems from what I read on your previous posts. I can relate to that. Good Luck!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM

195 posts, read 741,529 times
Quote:
Do I regret it? Nope.

The President of the United States of America should have issued you a Purple Heart!!!!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Do I regret it? Nope.

I actually think I'm going to try to get a job to replace one of the ones i have currently because they're screwing me out of hours. Yes, I know the economy is bad, but there's no real reason for them to schedule someone that's been there three weeks over me, who has been there for a year come February. Anyway, thinking about it is scary, even though it's for a part time job, because that weekend job i have now is the one that provides me with insurance and i don't want to go through the hassle of getting new insurance.

(I do have to disagree with the wealthy thing - because i'm not at all, i'm struggling to pay bills and I don't have any old credit card debt either - so slight disagreement )

Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
I also thought about quitting my job and was planning to do it at the end of January. I do have some funds set aside. I was going to refinance my condo, but put down yet another down payment, a huge one, reduce my payments so I could live on minimum wage.....however, after thinking about it and I have worked for 40 years, I decided not to do it. I dislike my new boss immensely, however I decided is it worth it for him to make me do this? Make me lose good to excellent benefits, a decent liveable wage? No. Though I dislike my company and my immediate boss, I actually thank God everyday that I am still employed. I go in this coming Tuesday for my "appraisal" and I'm sure he's going to ream me but good, but still, I'll have my job.

You are correct one has to weigh positive vs negative in regards to jobs. However, one must also realize who gets hurt the most if you quit ?

I just had a good talk with myself....and decided, this man was NOT going to get to me...you have to learn to brush some of it off, because just about every job out there has it's issues.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I also thought about quitting my job and was planning to do it at the end of January. I do have some funds set aside. I was going to refinance my condo, but put down yet another down payment, a huge one, reduce my payments so I could live on minimum wage.....however, after thinking about it and I have worked for 40 years, I decided not to do it. I dislike my new boss immensely, however I decided is it worth it for him to make me do this? Make me lose good to excellent benefits, a decent liveable wage? No. Though I dislike my company and my immediate boss, I actually thank God everyday that I am still employed. I go in this coming Tuesday for my "appraisal" and I'm sure he's going to ream me but good, but still, I'll have my job.

You are correct one has to weigh positive vs negative in regards to jobs. However, one must also realize who gets hurt the most if you quit ?

I just had a good talk with myself....and decided, this man was NOT going to get to me...you have to learn to brush some of it off, because just about every job out there has it's issues.
Meh, my house is paid for. I have no mortgage. Nor do I have debt. And I do have savings. For me, this was the right decision. For others, only they know.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
The number one problem with that idea is that as a result of our wealth, everything gets bid up to insane prices. In India, you can buy a BRAND NEW car for $2,500. In the US, you'll be lucky to find a brand new car for under 10k. In any metro area the real estate gets bid up to insane levels. Rents are sky high compared to other nations. No local farms anymore so everything has to be trucked in, adding costs. It is like that across the board. Once you learn to be self sufficient is only when you will really realize how wealthy you are because you won't have to pay the, "1st world premium." all the time.

Quote:
Meh, my house is paid for. I have no mortgage. Nor do I have debt. And I do have savings. For me, this was the right decision. For others, only they know.
Aww, you see. You can quit your job because you can afford to do so. Props to you personally. Not many achieve that level of financial freedom like you have. Most people live paycheck to paycheck. Now just to buy assets that give you cash each month (ie. REITs, MLPs, Rental property etc.) and you'll be set. Never have to work another day in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment