Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgossipcolumn View Post
With a lot of "us" college grads and "us" who have a degree in something....... why is it that "we" are the ones having a tough time stepping foot in a work field? I mean, there are soooooo many, and I mean, many high school drop outs and people who didn't even go to college... or better yet, never finished college.... these are the ones who are actually employed.

I mean, if I would of known that I'm just going to have a tough time finding a career with my degree... I would of NOT invested and spent all these thousands of dollars for 4 years in college!

Now, I'm unemployed......... AND can't even pay for my student loans!...... I'll be paying that off til I'm in my grave! the way the economy is right now. =(

And DON'T ever think you're the "loser" in your family.... it's NOT your fault.......... that's what we get if we're ran by a screwed up... dirty government and in America.... you're either poor or rich.... "us" middle class citizens... they don't care about us................ we don't even exist and "we" are the ones running and bringing money into this country...............

So, when election comes around.... please vote for OBAMA..... WE do NEED desperate change..... and specially for people who are unemployed... well, WE do need him in that white house =)
Well I mean to be fair there are some jobs out there. The problem is that they are generally low paying and involve general labor which would be a waste of time for someone with a bachelors degree (someone like myself in business finance/some accounting). Finding not just a good job but ANY job requiring my degree and helping my career path is the tough part. Non college grads have it easy in a way that they don't have to be neccesarily choosy in their job hunt.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against any such job and I am not against doing one until I find a good one if I absoulutely have too. Right now I am lucky in that I live with my parents and could afford to be unemployed somewhat. Even with living at home though I still need money for the little bills I have, gas, and the general cost that comes when job hunting. Because of this right now I am looking for part time flexible work where I could make some money and still have time to try to find a decent full time job.

It's been a little over a month and a half since I graduated (I know its not that much compared to others but still...) and I still havn't found a job and at this point I am just scared that my career won't even take off....then my degree would have truly been a waste of time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 11:54 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
I moved back with my mom a couple of years ago, she wasn't doing well in this job market and neither was I. So I'm helping support the household and everything while trying to pay for me to finish up college and get a Bachelor's in Accounting. I changed my major because Accounting seems be in higher demand, no matter what economy looks like. I figure companies always need someone to crunch numbers and figure out how to save money, and I like crunch numbers so that's what I'm gonna do. I was unemployed for 5 months, and finally found a part time job. I realized that I can't make it on a high school diploma so I decided to go to college recently. I'm in alot of debt, but it won't matter if I get a rewarding job in a couple of years. Unfortunately, I don't see myself going on my own for quite a while. My mom can't support herself because her field of work was outsourced and now she is forced to take mcjobs with sh**ty hours and low pay.

My plan someday is to become a businessman/accountant, save alot of money over 5 years while paying off debts and household bills. I plan to save for an affordable house and have financial stability someday, lol.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
A lot of the problems are what you are studying in college--remember colleges are businesses, not 'career guidance counselors.' Where I used to live they kept advertising at one college how they would graduate X amount of education students a year.

I used to say why do we need so many teachers? There are so few jobs, seriously, in that area for teachers. I keep hearing about teacher shortages (since I graduated grad school in '91 there were 'rumors' of all these teaching jobs).

Years later, there is no teacher shortage unless maybe it's in special ed, math, science or jobs in the hood....

Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I moved back with my mom a couple of years ago, she wasn't doing well in this job market and neither was I. So I'm helping support the household and everything while trying to pay for me to finish up college and get a Bachelor's in Accounting. I changed my major because Accounting seems be in higher demand, no matter what economy looks like. I figure companies always need someone to crunch numbers and figure out how to save money, and I like crunch numbers so that's what I'm gonna do. I was unemployed for 5 months, and finally found a part time job. I realized that I can't make it on a high school diploma so I decided to go to college recently. I'm in alot of debt, but it won't matter if I get a rewarding job in a couple of years. Unfortunately, I don't see myself going on my own for quite a while. My mom can't support herself because her field of work was outsourced and now she is forced to take mcjobs with sh**ty hours and low pay.

My plan someday is to become a businessman/accountant, save alot of money over 5 years while paying off debts and household bills. I plan to save for an affordable house and have financial stability someday, lol.
Accounting is a good major but then again I also know some accounting majors who are still having a hard time finding a job. Right now I have 15 accounting credits and I am taking one accounting class this semester (night school) so I could get enough credits to start applying for some government accounting jobs. Eventually I would like to get my CPA. Right now I am looking into getting a staff accountant position, heck I even got an interview with a small acounting firm with a finance degree lol.

By the time you graduate the economy will be better. I strongly advice you to get some internships, although it might be tough since you have to support your mom and might not be able to take summer internships far from home. I would at least recomend just getting any bookkeeping, accounting clerk job (there are entry level ones but pay **** though)...this way you have some "accounting experience" by the time you graduate.

It seems like you know what you are doing but an accounting or finance degree are really the only majors I would recomend to any business student. They go hand in hand , some finincial analyst positions I have seen even require a CPA. Alot of the jobs you see in business (companies) require an accounting or finance degree (some even have a minimum ammount of accounting credits needed). Finance/Accounting are the building blocks for a business

Old 10-11-2008, 03:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
Well I mean to be fair there are some jobs out there. The problem is that they are generally low paying and involve general labor which would be a waste of time for someone with a bachelors degree (someone like myself in business finance/some accounting). Finding not just a good job but ANY job requiring my degree and helping my career path is the tough part. Non college grads have it easy in a way that they don't have to be neccesarily choosy in their job hunt.

<snip>

I understand what you are saying but this isn't necessarily true. Even those of us w/o college degrees still have to consider the line of work, and taking a huge departure from what you've been doing can hurt if you want/need to go back to it later.

Take me for example. I have clerical skills and my work history is primarily in clerical crap. Personally I could care less what I am doing if it pays the same so let's say tomorrow I want to go work in a plant nursery for the same money but I'd have to work weekends...... then I decide later I need to go back to clerical for the hours or schedule for child care reasons. It's still going to be an issue with people hiring for office jobs, that I spent the past couple years taking care of plants....

Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I understand what you are saying but this isn't necessarily true. Even those of us w/o college degrees still have to consider the line of work, and taking a huge departure from what you've been doing can hurt if you want/need to go back to it later.

Take me for example. I have clerical skills and my work history is primarily in clerical crap. Personally I could care less what I am doing if it pays the same so let's say tomorrow I want to go work in a plant nursery for the same money but I'd have to work weekends...... then I decide later I need to go back to clerical for the hours or schedule for child care reasons. It's still going to be an issue with people hiring for office jobs, that I spent the past couple years taking care of plants....
Yeah sorry I generalized it like that. It sucks that the higher up you get the more specialized you are and it becomes harder. Being unemployed just plain sucks, especially right now with someone with no work experience and trying to get in the door.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
I have a BA in Public Relations. I ended up working for about nine years in social work. The last couple places I worked were shady and had unsafe environments. I tried one last job a few months ago but my supervisor was insane, provided no direction/supervision (she didn't even have a training agenda when I arrived), and yelled at me when I brought concerns to her. I couldn't take it, left, and think I'm done with socal work. Before that I worked as a night auditor in a hotel but once again had management that were shady, allowed workers to come in late all the time, would not pay or extra time I worked, and didn't care at all about their workers.

Sadly I have been working part time at a company and just got another part time job. This new job didn't start off well as I was hired and told to report for my schedule on a specific day a week later. I showed up and was treated like I was beign bothersome as they couldn't find any schedule and had no record that I was hired. I went to their orientation a week later which was less than impressive. They stated they would have my schedule ready for me on Friday, then called me on Friday to see what I could work, told me I would have to work opposite hours than what was agreed upon when I was hired, and still haven't heard back from them yet. I guess I'll call tomorrow but I'm not holding out any hope about this job.

I also had to leave thee other jobs in the last two years because one outright lied to me about hours and I could not work them, had to leave one after being verbally abused during a training and not allowed to file a grevience, and the other was a total nightmare as they let their staff get away with murder. I'm very frustrated and now dealing with some serious depression issues. I feel I'm in a hole because of these jobs as who wants to hire somebody that has left a bunch of jobs (even if it was for legit reasons). Most jobs don't want me because I'm a college grad and other jobs don't want me because all my background is in social work. Everybody keeps telling me that things will turn around but I'm really starting to wonder. I'm a great worker that never misses work, never is a discipline problem, goes the extra mile when needed, and has a genuine care in any work I perform. I'm losing hope here.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
My mom can't support herself because her field of work was outsourced and now she is forced to take mcjobs with sh**ty hours and low pay.
Can you be specific and tell us what field of work / specific job was outsourced?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
I would at least recomend just getting any bookkeeping, accounting clerk job (there are entry level ones but pay **** though)...this way you have some "accounting experience" by the time you graduate.
I'm way ahead of ya, I was thinking about taking some bookkeeping/clerk jobs in about a year or so or as an intern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69
Can you be specific and tell us what field of work / specific job was outsourced?
Semiconductor manufacturing(computer chips)

Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times
Default Join the club

I feel for all of you. I've been out of work for almost a year and starting to get DESPERATE! I wasted two years trying to become a hairdresser only to find that once you get out of school you can't find a damn person willing to take the time and energy to train. I got fired from two shops-no kidding, and I must have vistied 100 of them trying to see if I could just be a little "shampoo girl". Even that isn't realistic anymore. How in the do you get experience if SOMEONE doesn't take you on? All the posters are here are right on about that. There's no business in repeating my history because it is just like what everyone is doing here, but I can tell you.it's no picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment