Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times

Advertisements

It does suck to be without work, I was out of work during the 2001/02 recession for almost a year and had to practically abandon my career choice & go elsewhere....My situation was a little different, having no college degree and basing my job hopes solely on my work experience was really tough.....building relationships w/those you may have worked with in the past tend to serve you well in the future....Networking is really key in many fields regardless of educational background...Stay positive, don't give up and work hard to find that special job....I know it's easier said than done but if I can do it, anyone can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I feel for all of you. I've been out of work for almost a year and starting to get DESPERATE! I wasted two years trying to become a hairdresser only to find that once you get out of school you can't find a damn person willing to take the time and energy to train. I got fired from two shops-no kidding, and I must have vistied 100 of them trying to see if I could just be a little "shampoo girl". Even that isn't realistic anymore. How in the do you get experience if SOMEONE doesn't take you on? All the posters are here are right on about that. There's no business in repeating my history because it is just like what everyone is doing here, but I can tell you.it's no picnic.
At least you didn't take out big ammounts of loans (or did you?). I have some loans I have to start repaying in feb. but I would say my loan ammt. is "avg." for a recent college grad. I have known and heard of people racking up insance debt and getting a liberal arts degree or something like that.

I don't know what to say other than keep plugging away, its not like we have a choice

Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,661 times
Unemployed for going on 2 months now, looking into starting my own online business. I am getting away from corporate America as far as I can.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,732 times
Found a job, but it's part time with mediocre pay and less than desirable hours. Looks like I gotta find another part time job if I wanna make a good dent in my debt.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,170 times
Well finally found 40 hrs a week, something I thought was impossible. Hope everyone comes through ok, keep fighting something will come through i'm living proof.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,901 times
Default Unemployment

Hello Mr. Man,

I'm so happy you found a fulltime position. I want to wish you the best on your new job.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I've been unemployeed since the first of June. I'm 58 years old and this is the third time my whole industry died I live in NE GA and there is no work here, I'd move but I can't sell my home

In the early 80's I appenticed with a Lawyer and learned Real Estate Title Examinations (not something taught in Law School or Paralegal School). Then in the late 80's the market took a dump and I was out of work...soooo I dusted off my typing skills and learned some basic computer word processing and went temping to keep my head above water. I would stay late and go in early and taught myself graphics, spreadsheets ect. eventually working my way up to Technical Writer/Web Design and at my own expense took a Web Design certificate course online to further my skills...sooo about eight years ago the IT industry tanked in the ATL area...soooooooooo back to Real Estate Title work, I was layed off in June with no hope of returning to that profession due to the market.

I have a great resume, I've been to tons of job fairs, look on the 'net each day and send out resume after resume, I've been on exactly two interviews. The first one wanted more experience ( I think it was an age thing but can't prove it) the 2nd one was as a calendar clerk for the DA's office they had over 300 resumes I was one of 16 called for the first interview, then I get an email saying the county now has a hiring freeze I applied for position in another county, knew the county solicitor who I'd be working for and now the guy who was moving isn't

I've worked all my life and I've never seen the job market so bad. I still have about 18 weeks of UI left but after that I'm screwed.

I've found an online paralegal AA program but unless I can sell my truck and horse trailer that's out.

At my age it gets scary, I've dumbed down my resume to "fit" just plain Administrative jobs but it's not helping. I live close to UGA and now these jobs are requiring BS in their areas for a secretary job.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I've been unemployeed since the first of June. I'm 58 years old and this is the third time my whole industry died I live in NE GA and there is no work here, I'd move but I can't sell my home

At my age it gets scary, I've dumbed down my resume to "fit" just plain Administrative jobs but it's not helping. I live close to UGA and now these jobs are requiring BS in their areas for a secretary job.
At least you live near Athens. Their job listings have more offerings than most cities in Georgia. I think you can find something based on your broad skill set. The pay scale there is not much to get excited about, but at least there's more to choose from. Keep trying and good luck.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:10 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
At least you live near Athens. Their job listings have more offerings than most cities in Georgia
Actually, that's part of the problem. They are wanted Degreed people for secretarial work. They also have lots of very low paying part time jobs that are even less the UI that the students take. Also, most of the jobs are without benifits.

If I can ever get my place sold, I'll never live this close to a major University, you are competing with students for the few jobs available. All the secretarial jobs (that I'm more than qualified for) want a degree in that area...ie the Agricultural Dept has a secretary job...but you have to have a degree in Agriculture or Forestry

Old 10-26-2008, 04:12 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Well finally found 40 hrs a week, something I thought was impossible. Hope everyone comes through ok, keep fighting something will come through i'm living proof.
Congrats Mr. Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment