Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

I hate Sunday...my husband expects me to scan the (few) jobs and say I have found four or five that I can do!
I am lucky to see one a month. (I also send out resumes to companies so I am not just waiting for the paper..).

He's giving me the daily lecture how I am just not trying...or that I am lying when I say all the jobs expect 'strange hours,' or 'that there is a hiring freeze'...

I have to say I am not looking forward to another week of this...

Good luck to my fellow job hunters...I hope others treat you better than I get treated for being out of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
Good luck to you Gypsy and good luck to you and your husband during these trying times.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Hi GS,

My hubby didn't really understand till he had to look at the job boards, like Careerbuilder, himself.

Suggest he register on Careerbuilder and look through to see what he could find for himself. He'll probably find what you and I already know. Lots of crappy jobs and very few viable ones in your specific field.

Have him "Help" you look for work. He will swiftly find out it's not as easy as he thinks.

One thing I do is keep a log of the places I've applied. It helps to remind me of how many I've actually applied to and when. It also serves as a reminder of how long MANY jobs remain on the job boards. I've started to apply to the same job several times till I started going back through my log and realized it was the same one............3 months later.

With his so called "help," he should quickly realize that you've probably already applied for everything you are qualified for and how much garbage you need to sort through to find those you DO apply for.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
No kidding. I am in a similar situation. I didn't lose my job but I work a dead end job and I am about to graduate with my AA degree in accounting. So I want to find an accounting job. I am having no luck.

Who knows how long this will keep up. We might be stuck in this slump of 10%+ unemployment for a long time and never get out of it. Not much you can do about it though. Just keep applying and don't spend your money on garbage!

I am sure glad I've saved 90% of my income while I was working and living with my parents. It sure is paying off.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
13th jobless week for me... and now the job listings in Eng in Craigslist and the Houston Chronicle went down so much.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 AM

Thanks all. I am not trying to have a pity party for myself. After all, what good does that do, right?

Anyhow, my husband has said he will help me look then he just gets frustrated and doesn't anymore...
He was 'looking' in the summer for me (I was just at a temp job) and he kept saying "There's not a lot out there..."

Now it's like *poof* nothing is there. I remember last year at this time I could have 4 jobs a week just from the paper to send resumes to...

I don't do job boards because I think most of them are a waste of time (I will scan them and get 'alerts' but 99.% are irrelevant.)

Anyhow, have to keep chugging along. Happy Monday.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Try using Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed. I've found that website to be very helpful. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:04 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hate Sunday...my husband expects me to scan the (few) jobs and say I have found four or five that I can do!
I am lucky to see one a month. (I also send out resumes to companies so I am not just waiting for the paper..).

He's giving me the daily lecture how I am just not trying...or that I am lying when I say all the jobs expect 'strange hours,' or 'that there is a hiring freeze'...

I have to say I am not looking forward to another week of this...

Good luck to my fellow job hunters...I hope others treat you better than I get treated for being out of work.

Sounds like he has some perceptive issues. Yes, there are a lot of jobs posted, but a lot of those jobs aren't real. Like the sales job, commission only, that promises you $300K your first year.
There are a lot of specific jobs, that require, say, an insurance license, or a particular degree.
But even for some of us with a degree or particular profession, jobs are down.
The job listings do not reflect what is truly available.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Try using Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed. I've found that website to be very helpful. Good luck!

Yeah, isn't Indeed.com great? You don't have to search a bunch of websites, and it pulls from places I never heard of!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Thank you for the link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment