Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll,

I was just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas on where to find work. My husband got laid off in September and still isn't working. We use the want ads, of course, as well as the Employment bank locally, as well as craigslist. He has for the past two months, used a service the paper from Asheville,NC has online, which allows you to post your resume in other areas, not just locally. But still no luck, anyone have any suggestions? He does call back a few days after leaving his app and is doing everything right.He has a professional resume, is always neat in appearance, etc So we can't figure out why he hasn't been hired anywhere. (Lol, I mean other than the lack of jobs and the fact that over 500K were laid off last month alone.)

But still no luck, anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Not sure where you're from, but here in PA there is a Bureau of State Employment, (BSE) that isn't exactly civil service jobs, but still working-for-the-state jobs. We also have Careerlink. Like I said, not sure you have the same, but I'd be 'googling' it to see. Also, look around to see which businesses are still going strong even in this ecomony. Insurance companies, funeral homes, bars, banks, look around. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
the best advise I can give is keep your spirits up, especially his. People can get down, but you got keep going, something will come along. Mail resumes, ad, papers, computer, network, walk and talk!!! Dont just your selfworth by a job!!! Its depressing and discouraging but keep him laughing!!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
Not sure where you live, but you mentioned Asheville, NC. If you live anywhere near there, and you seem to have some time to invest, you may volunteer at the Biltmore Estate. They always need ushers and helpers. Everybody goes to the Biltmore. People will see him "neat in appearance" and he will be able to "market himself". He will tell them that he can volunteer while waiting for a job. Now they know he's looking. He can overtly advertise himself as people see that he's cheerful, friendly, and handy to have around. He may get hired on to work there. Worst case scenerio: He'll have fun. If not the Biltmore, any museum, anywhere, appreciates their volunteers. Best of luck.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I'd love some new ideas.

The only thing I get is rejections for interviews!!!
Oh, and the daily "I am not allowed to talk about the recession' from my husband.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

625 posts, read 3,635,145 times
Fortunately I was lucky enough to find a job in this horrible market. And everyday on my drive to work I notice all of these companies that I have never heard of, in these beautiful buildings and I always wonder "Are they hiring?" , "Why didn't I know they were here after 9 months of job hunting?" and "Does anyone know about these companies". I guess my advice would be to, if you can afford it and have transportation, take a drive to a business district and write down all of the names of the companies so that when you get home you can check out their website or send them your resume. It may sound stupid but there are a ton of companies small and large who don't advertise open positions on Monster, craigslist, or newspapers. The company I work for offers employees a $2500 incentive for referring potential employees.

Good Luck All and Keep Praying

Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi ya'll,

I was just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas on where to find work. My husband got laid off in September and still isn't working. We use the want ads, of course, as well as the Employment bank locally, as well as craigslist. He has for the past two months, used a service the paper from Asheville,NC has online, which allows you to post your resume in other areas, not just locally. But still no luck, anyone have any suggestions? He does call back a few days after leaving his app and is doing everything right.He has a professional resume, is always neat in appearance, etc So we can't figure out why he hasn't been hired anywhere. (Lol, I mean other than the lack of jobs and the fact that over 500K were laid off last month alone.)

But still no luck, anyone have any suggestions?
Look at this: 30 Best Markets to Find A Job
MSN Careers - 30 Best Markets to Find a Job - Career Advice Article

Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Default Thanks to Peter Bowerman

One of the best pieces of advice I've read was in one of his books. To paraphrase: 'You must get acoss to the potential customer, (or interviewer in this case), how you can benefit them and their company.' It is one thing to explain all the wonderful things you do; it is quite another to paint a picture in the mind of the person you're talking to how exactly they will benefit from having you aboard.

I fear that many today think it is enough that they show interest in a position, and therefore should be hired.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
It really depends on what type of work he does.

One thing that can never hurt is to make up 500 copies of his resume and a generic cover letter and literally go door to door and drop it off.

In this day I think people also have to be willing to take anything. heck the city of Green bay was paying people $8 an hour to shovel Lambeau Field yesterday. If I wasn't working and lived there, I would have tucked half a dozen resumes into a Ziplock bag and gone down there to shovel. And I would have talked to everyone I met an mentioned I was looking for work. You never know whose uncle mentioned at Thanksgiving dinner that they were looking to fill a position.

Also network through alumni groups, make sure his resume is on Career Builder and Monster.

One thing I'd do is have someone objective look at his resume and give constructive criticism. I review all incoming resumes for certain positions in the company I work for, and there have been a lot that I rejected, not because the people weren't qualified, but because their resume was either poorly constructed, way too wordy, or in poor form. These are senior level people with advanced degrees.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:42 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Also, try indeed dot com, I've had good luck with they way they post stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment