Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

I have just started receiving $405 a week unemployment, but I just got a call for a temp job that would be $15 an hour for only 4 days.... it adds up after taxes taken out to not much more. Would it benefit me just to take unemployment and have the week free for "real job" interviews if they come up? or should I take the temp job and walk away with an extra 50 in my pocket? or keep the week free?
confused- never been on unemployment before and I'm still nervous that it works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I think if you don't use the unemployment benefits, I say take the job for the experience. You might make a connection toward a full time job.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:41 PM

295 posts, read 1,178,842 times
Keep one thing in mind too - if the agency wants to press it and you decline the offer - they can make it affect your unemployment.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I have to chime in because this attitude drives me crazy. I'm dealing with it from my husband right now.

I can't understand how someone would prefer to be home all day rather than out doing something. I think it's a great idea to get out of the house. It will do your mental outlook some good. And check with your local UI office. We're in MA and my husband gets $600/wk (the max before it was raised to $618). He can make up to 1/3 the weekly amount before they start reducing his benefits dollar for dollar. So that means he can earn up to $200/wk at a part time job and still keep the $600. But instead of going out and working a $10-15/hr job, he'll tell me that he's making the equivalent of $20/hr on UI so why bother? Why bother?????? Well, every penny counts. An extra $200/wk means an extra $800/month! And even if he went over the $200/wk, it would still be ok. Anything you do to reduce your UI benefit just extends the benefit. So if your temp job ends, you go back to your benefits.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times
I would take the temp job and still look for work-KWIM? Its easier to get a job while you are still working and also you never know, you might like the company you are temping for and get a permanent job there as well. Yo umight learn something new and something else to ad to you resume. Good luck and update us!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Also you won't get unemployment benefits for the 4 days that you work - so basically you'll still have that money there if you don't find anything right away. My mom did this for about 8 months. A temp job would pop up for 2 -3 weeks and she would take it and then when it ends she would file unemployment again. She never had to do that first week without payment thing again (which is what they do in FL) because she kept claiming her weeks but she would put that she did earn money so it kept her in the system. The temp agency always calls her though so i'm sure the fact that she takes these little here and there jobs works in her favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment