Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,714 times

Advertisements

Hi I am correcly collecting EUC tier 2 and I have to make a payment claim for my two weeks this sunday. However I am starting a new job working the night shift tonight and tech I would have one work day for a check next week. Do I still file for my claim? Do I have to report those 12 hours and if so how does it affect my payment claim? I am asking because I don't want to lose my benefits or get any penalties. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,266,868 times
You can continue to claim benefits. Report the actual number of hours you work today before midnight. Anything you work after midnight should be reported when you claim next week.

Yes, you must report your GROSS wages - BEFORE any deductions for taxes, etc. - the actual week you work - NOT when you are paid. In other words, if you work 12 hours @ $15/hr. BEFORE TAXES, you report $180 income.
Quote:
Working and Reporting Income

You may work part time and collect benefits but you must report all of your hours worked and earnings each time you request payment. Unreported earnings cause overpayments that you must repay (see Page 5).

Report your total earnings in the week you earned them, not when you are paid.

The workweek for reporting begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday. You must report:

■ Your total number of hours worked each week. Include your hours and earnings for all your work. (Work is any kind of service for pay. That includes commissions, tips, contract work, and “side jobs.”)

■ Total earnings before deductions (gross pay), not “take-home” pay.

■ Earnings in whole dollars. For example, if you earned $100.75, report $100 and drop the 75 cents.
TX will use its Partial Benefit Formula
Quote:
Working and Receiving Benefits

If you work part time, you can earn up to 25 percent of your weekly benefit amount (WBA) before TWC reduces your benefit payment.

For example, if your WBA is $160, you may earn $40 without a reduction.

If you earn $50, we reduce your WBA for the week to $150.

In both cases, your benefits plus your earnings equal $200. If you earn more than $200, we cannot pay you benefits for that week.
All of the above are from the TX handbook. Download and read:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/bnfts/bi-99.pdf

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM

8 posts, read 31,007 times
I work for college part time TWC denied my UI for summer because TWC hearing officer think that college have a summer vacation – colleges do not have any vacation – How can I explain—any help

Old 12-03-2013, 01:47 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david77007 View Post
I work for college part time TWC denied my UI for summer because TWC hearing officer think that college have a summer vacation – colleges do not have any vacation – How can I explain—any help
School employees, for the most part, are not able to collect UI benefits during the summer. It's a problem in every state. You will need to appeal, with proof that yours is a year-round job, even though it is at a school. Clearly, if you are not working during the summer, it is NOT a year-round job. So, how do you expect to prove this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment