Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I was half-joking...I don't agree with unemployment benefits on principle...but then again I had a job since I was 14 years old, so I can't really imagine being paid while NOT working
My mom worked since she was that age and is now on unemployment because she was laid off last June. It happens and if it happens to you, than you might be able to imagine collecting back some of the money you paid into the system over 40-50 years. Unemployment isn't welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Rep to Braunwyn. I've been "paying in" for 35 years. I have no issues with receiving my $450 per week.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Rep to Braunwyn. I've been "paying in" for 35 years. I have no issues with receiving my $450 per week.
And you shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, there are some folk out there that will actually go without a job on purpose in order to receive 200/wk. My gf's ex-husband did that since he worked in construction. But the idea that a seasoned worker should forfeit unemployment for $8/hr is unacceptable. As I mentioned to my mom, perhaps you should consider some temp work with the census this year. Census.gov is hiring for the 2010 census. From what I understand, they pay well, the work is fair, and you could go right back to unemployment when the gig is up. If I have the energy, I'm going to apply as well in my area.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Being employed is much better on a resume even if part time than not working.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
I thought it was pointless unless it was UNDER THE TABLE because i thought that the combination of the part time job and unemployment was the same money that you would get if you just received the unemploymnet. I know it wasn't more

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Some people work P/T because some companies provide health insurance for P/T workers. Some people may want to continue contributing to their Social Security.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought it was pointless unless it was UNDER THE TABLE because i thought that the combination of the part time job and unemployment was the same money that you would get if you just received the unemploymnet. I know it wasn't more
i guess getting out of the house and being around other people doing something physical and social, as opposed to sitting alone at home with not much to do the majority of the day could be a plus for some people.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
And you shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, there are some folk out there that will actually go without a job on purpose in order to receive 200/wk. My gf's ex-husband did that since he worked in construction. But the idea that a seasoned worker should forfeit unemployment for $8/hr is unacceptable. As I mentioned to my mom, perhaps you should consider some temp work with the census this year. Census.gov is hiring for the 2010 census. From what I understand, they pay well, the work is fair, and you could go right back to unemployment when the gig is up. If I have the energy, I'm going to apply as well in my area.
I just think the way the economy is, unemployment benefits are not the smartest thing to pay people. If you know you can receive unemployment, why make a greater effort to look for a job? I realize I pay for it with every paycheck I get, but on principle I simply don't agree. I find it a little irresponsible to take payouts when the country is in as much debt as it is and the economy is going donwhill at the rate it is. I think even an $8/hr job at wal-mart is contributing something to society, and that alone is worth it. The economic situation isn't something the government isn't going to magically fix for us, it will turn around when people take responsibility for their own actions and try to give something back instead of just trying to get the most money they can on a day-to-day basis.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Yep, fair enough. And, while I'm on the phone, I'll tell SSI that I'll also donate my social security when it comes time, since all of the money I've put into that can be used by someone else. Oh yeah, and I'll tell my life insurance company, that I've been kidding all of these years. I really want them to keep the money that I've given them for the past 35-years. I'm sure they'll put it to better use than my wife or children can.

What does working at Walmart for any amount of money have to do with contributing to society? Unemployment benefits are there for this precise purpose- "the way the economy is." A very small portion of the people on this forum WANT to be unemployed and it has nothing to do with "taking responsibility for their own actions." You are absolutely correct that people should take responsibility for their actions, but to tie this to being laid off and suggest that one should not make use of the benefits that they have, literally, paid for and earned is naive at best.

It should also be noted that all of the people on this forum are and have been looking for a new job. And many haven't been able to find a job with the McDonald's and Walmarts of the world.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM

140 posts, read 859,538 times
After being laid off two weeks for the 2nd time in two yrs, I am receiving UC benefits . The first time two yrs ago that I was on UC (been working for 30 yrs) I was looking for work but only finding PT openings. So I took a PT job three days a week, Mon 7:30am -finished (was told usually mid evening), Tues 8-4, Wed 8-4. I worked there 2 weeks and after 2 mondays of working till 11:30pm I told them I couldn't work those hours, being a single dad, so I quit. After telling UC about this ,UC had to do an investigation and my UC benefits would be stopped till it was done. It took 4 weeks for them to complete the investigation. So I recieved no UC for 4 weeks and pretty much depleated my savings account paying my monthly bills including my COBRA Health insurance plan ($425 per mo)from previous employer. I became reemployed at a FT position (40% decrease from last job)1 week after my UC restarted. I was employeed FT until 2 weeks ago when that company closed.
As for working FT at a Walmart type place for $8.00 per hr. that is about $320 a week before taxes and health ins. which would end up about $240. a week take home which is $960 a month .After my mortgage (which is low campared to others in my area) I would be left with $300 a month to pay utilities , car ins, gas, food, school lunch, etc. which is not possable on $300 a month.
So at this point I job hunt daily for a FT position and will try for a PT job that has hours that I can work and will supplement my UC benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment