Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,989 times

Advertisements

Got laid off at the end of the year. No luck finding anything with the current economy. January is typically the worst month at finding work I hear.

What to do all day and not spend much money? Getting cabin fever

Sitting at home all day get boring fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,685,676 times
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. Have you cleaned the house top to bottom, yet? That's what I've done in the past and felt like I accomplished something.

But, it sounds like you are looking for stimulation. Maybe taking up running? Or look up volunteer opportunities? Where do you live?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear it. Have you cleaned the house top to bottom, yet? That's what I've done in the past and felt like I accomplished something.

But, it sounds like you are looking for stimulation. Maybe taking up running? Or look up volunteer opportunities? Where do you live?
Thank you. Yes, I do clean, but thats not very fun . Also seems like as soon as the kids get home its all wrecked in 10 minutes so I'm not overly motivated to bust my tail on it in some cases.

There's lots of places to go in CA, but its really no fun by myself and even less fun to have no extra to play with. I do end up driving around, or going hiking, or ride my bike. or play with the pets and kids when the kids get home. Window shop, roam the mall, surf the web, even play my son's video games, but mostly your right, I'm just b-o-r-e-d. Don't have any friends (so that doesn't help)

The computer and tv offer some escape but even thats getting dull. I'm very physical and sitting around too long is just not me.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,797,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Thank you. Yes, I do clean, but thats not very fun . Also seems like as soon as the kids get home its all wrecked in 10 minutes so I'm not overly motivated to bust my tail on it in some cases.

There's lots of places to go in CA, but its really no fun by myself and even less fun to have no extra to play with. I do end up driving around, or going hiking, or ride my bike. or play with the pets and kids when the kids get home. Window shop, roam the mall, surf the web, even play my son's video games, but mostly your right, I'm just b-o-r-e-d. Don't have any friends (so that doesn't help)

The computer and tv offer some escape but even thats getting dull. I'm very physical and sitting around too long is just not me.
I hear you. I'm in the same boat. I did start college classes online and evening last term (keeping those days frees for possible job just in case). I hate being home all day. The house is clean, but I am bored to death. Like you said, you can't go to the mall, or shopping, if you're trying not to spend money. Not that I'm a big shopper anyway. LOL.
This is my first time unemployed since I was in my late teens, and I'm not liking it much. School is GREAT though. Love that.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,630,481 times
I was unemployed for about 3 months last year, and it was college all over again for me. I was going to bed at 4am and waking up at noon! LOL!

But when I was really getting bored, one thing that helped was I would go to the library and pick up a book to learn something. I was engaged at that time, so I thought building a webpage for me and my fiance would be cool, and I always wanted to learn how to design webpages. So I picked up a couple of books and wound up building a simple page, but my fiance loved it - and it probably took me about a month to do!! but the good thing was, the time just flew by and I barely realized it. I know webpage design is not for everyone, but something in those lines might help with the boredom.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,797,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I was unemployed for about 3 months last year, and it was college all over again for me. I was going to bed at 4am and waking up at noon! LOL!

But when I was really getting bored, one thing that helped was I would go to the library and pick up a book to learn something. I was engaged at that time, so I thought building a webpage for me and my fiance would be cool, and I always wanted to learn how to design webpages. So I picked up a couple of books and wound up building a simple page, but my fiance loved it - and it probably took me about a month to do!! but the good thing was, the time just flew by and I barely realized it. I know webpage design is not for everyone, but something in those lines might help with the boredom.
That's why I'm loving college classes. Keeps my brain working learning new things. I've been off from college since mid Dec though, but finally start again next week. My daughter thinks I'm nuts that I'm all excited for school to start again. LOL.
I hope the economy picks up soon though. This is not fun.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,021,815 times
I've been unemployed since the end of August and bored, too.
I should be working 'somewhere' and bringing in money but with a Masters or even just putting a BA, few 'stores' will even look at me for a job

I keep saying I will volunteer somewhere and need to get outside and do it. My world has become too small again.

Maybe you can volunteer, too.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,343,777 times
No sympathy from me. You're bored? You probably think that you've done everything in the book to find a job. If you aren't actively seeking a job and getting your resume on every job board, Linkedin, etc. out there, then you don't exist. Make yourself and your skills known, market yourself.

There are plenty of jobs and ways to keep your time occupied. If you can't earn a living right now - instead of sitting around the house doing nothing, do volunteer work. I bet your community could use your help or some other charitable organization. Sometimes, this is a great way of transitioning to a paying job. Get out there - get yourself known - make yourself indespensible.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,493,818 times
deliver newspapers
walk dogs
go grocery shopping for the elderly
wash cars
collect cans & turn them in

tons of things you can do for money and kill time

Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times
working will help greatly. if you were to punish me you would take away all my activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment