Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 51,906 times

Advertisements

I applied for unemployment benefits the same day that I got laid off. My full-time employer (my immediate boss and one of the HR reps) that laid me off told me that they wouldn't contest it given the volume of people that they're laying off right now. Of course, they could go back on that statement but I feel pretty confident that they will not.

For the past year, I've averaged about 16 hours a week with my part-time employer. For the last few months though, I've probably averaged 16 hours a month with my part-time employer. It will be kicking up to 40 hours for two weeks w/ my part time employer and then dropping down to maybe 20-28 hours after that. I officially worked 30 hours today for the week and am supposed to work 8 tomorrow so I kinda guess I've already started doing what I asking about earlier so hopefully no "confusion" occurs on the part of the Texas Work Force Commission lol. Hopefully this won't come back and bite me in the ass..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob401 View Post
I applied for unemployment benefits the same day that I got laid off. My full-time employer (my immediate boss and one of the HR reps) that laid me off told me that they wouldn't contest it given the volume of people that they're laying off right now. Of course, they could go back on that statement but I feel pretty confident that they will not.

For the past year, I've averaged about 16 hours a week with my part-time employer. For the last few months though, I've probably averaged 16 hours a month with my part-time employer. It will be kicking up to 40 hours for two weeks w/ my part time employer and then dropping down to maybe 20-28 hours after that. I officially worked 30 hours today for the week and am supposed to work 8 tomorrow so I kinda guess I've already started doing what I asking about earlier so hopefully no "confusion" occurs on the part of the Texas Work Force Commission lol. Hopefully this won't come back and bite me in the ass..

YES, I agree! hopefully it wont....but if we cannot trust people, who can we trust!!

good luck and i am glad all of our comments helped you make a decision with your eyes open...

Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
jacob, I've done just that. Your initial claim is good for the full year, 13 months in Texas. As long as you keep filing, and claiming income, even if you sometimes have more income than your weekly benefits, technically you are on UE. Texas recognizes this as "part-time" income to extend your benefits. For example, you have say, $10,600 in your fund to draw from for a year, as long as that money is there, and some weeks you get $400, some with income, you get $50, you may get Zero some, but for the most part, as long as you claim, you are still unemployed. You keep the claim open, not the workforce, not your ex-employer. Most employers pay their UI every quarter to the state, so even then, its not know for over a year if you worked or not.
So many people claim benefits for quite a while after they start working, (which is illegal) and because the new employer doesn't put their SS# on the sheet to the state except once every quarter, its not known they are working because those reports then go to the state and arent compared against anything for another six months. Thats why in the state of Texas it goes to the previous year of where you worked and how much was paid in for the quarter of the year prior to when you got laid off.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 AM

" I've done just that. Your initial claim is good for the full year, 13 months in Texas. As long as you keep filing, and claiming income, even if you sometimes have more income than your weekly benefits, technically you are on UE. "

Regarding the above comment, Yes,your claim is good for a Year (plus 1mo), but they, " U.C." will make a DECISION based on what you say. If they make their Determination, that you are working 40 hours, i.e. you are now working full-time at your 2nd job. They they will reject you. There are many reasons to deny a claim. You will then have to work 'X" amount of hours before you can refile.

If you are laid off or fired or hours reduced from a job that was a "permanent full time" then you can REFILE and they will use your Inital Filing Date, even though they turned you down the first time. It does not matter if you keep filing, since once they give you a negaitive determination, YOU ARE DEAD in the WATER until you WIN. (This also applies to "permanent part -time", if your hours are reduced from part-time to less than part-time, but you will get less money.)

For example, I filed in April of 2008, I was turned down, because I quit,, then I worked at my next job until Septmember 2008, when i was laid off, then I refiled, they then reopened the April Claim. So, even though I didnt' get my U.C. until October 12, 2008, My Claim year ends April 2009.

All of this, only becomes important, if your first determination is against you and for the employer.

good luck!!

Last edited by gea12345; 03-18-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
[b]"
For example, I filed in April of 2008, I was turned down, because I quit,, then I worked at my next job until Septmember 2008, when i was laid off, then I refiled, they then reopened the April Claim. So, even though I didnt' get my U.C. until October 12, 2008, My Claim year ends April 2009.!
I saw so many posts from you that I took a quick look at the listing. Just in the last 36 hours you were on CD continuously from early in the morning until late at night with obvious breaks only for lunch, dinner and bedtime and that seems to be a pretty regular pattern.

I honestly don't mean to be rude in any way at all, but are you seriously looking for a job?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM

STT I have a computer at home and at work...so if my opinions annoy you, then that is your problem not mine.... I actually like yours....but regarding the above comment, I don't want the poor guy to go part-time / ful-time and regret it!!

I am sure I will bore of this site after a few months...but at the moment I am finding it very "CHEAP" ENTERTAINMENT!! And if i can help people, why not.... even though I usually get paid for it....;-)

For example i like this comment you posted:

09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
STT Resident
befriend
911 posts, read 338,392 times

I've sometimes held a grudge for a while but it usually passes quite quickly. I've remained good friends with several ex-lovers over the years and probably would be on good terms with ex-husbands too if I knew where they were! Life is too short to hold grudges or dwell upon real or perceived wrongs.

I'll tell you this, though. Your decision to clam up and NOT talk about that Hershey Kisses episode wasn't a good idea and still isn't. Communication failures are the biggest obstacle to healthy relationships and the root cause of most marriage failures. My advice (not that you asked for it, but I'm a pushy old broad) is to bring it up NOW before you get married, get it resolved and then vow never again to ignore anything like it in the future. Cheers!

Last edited by gea12345; 03-18-2009 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 PM

FOR STT....
AND HERE IS A LIST OF MY LAST MONTHS JOBS, FOR THE PUSHY OLD BROAD WHO REQUESTED IT...I KEEP A LIST OF ALL THE JOBS I APPLY FOR, THANA JESUS, SO I CAN SHOW THEM TO YOU...;-) AND THE NEXT TIME I AM BORED....I WILL POST LESS TO APPEASE YOU...IF GOD ONLY KNEW WHO YOU WERE....OR PERHAPS JEALOUSY OR JUST PLAIN DISAGREEMENT WITH MY ADVICE...WHO KNOWS AND WHO CARES...OR PERHAPS IF YOU WERE TOO BUSY LOOKING YOU WOULD NOT HAVE TIME TO COUNT MY POSTS...AND A LUCKY EMPLOYER WOULD FIND YOU....I DON'T EXPECT THERE ARE TOO MANY JOBS ON THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...HOLY MACKERAL...
Sort by ▼
Sort by
Date
From
Subject
Size
Show only messages
With attachments
USASTAFFINGOFFICE@OPM.GOV Acknowledgement of Occupational Questionnaire‏ Yesterday
Abelson Legal Search Abelson Legal Search Announces New Service‏ Yesterday

USAJOBS Important Application Information‏ 3/11/09
USASTAFFINGOFFICE@OPM.GOV Acknowledgement of Occupational Questionnaire‏ 3/08/09
lachelle.crowder@occ.treas.gov INELIGIBLE APPLICANTS‏ 2/26/09
job-1041515338@craigslist.org FW: Patent Secretary, Administrative Assistant (Washington, DC)‏ 2/21/09
job-1041515338@craigslist.org Patent Secretary, Administrative Assistant (Washington, DC)‏ 2/21/09

job-1043637814@craigslist.org FW: Paralegal - Trademark - Education‏ 2/21/09
job-1043637814@craigslist.org FW: Paralegal - Trademark - Education‏ 2/21/09
job-1043637814@craigslist.org Paralegal - Trademark - Education‏ 2/21/09
morris.joecille@dol.gov RE: Important information regarding your application‏ 2/20/09
morris.joecille@dol.gov Important information regarding your application‏ 2/19/09
Aaron S. Edlin University of Virginia John M. Olin Program in Law and Economics Working Paper Series - new papers‏ 2/19/09
janet_medlock@wieb.uscourts.gov re: Case Manager Trainee‏ 2/19/09
mail@avuedigitalservices.com ENRD-08-061 (DEU), Legal Assistant (Office Automation), GS-0986-06, Washington, Dist of Columbia at Department of Justice‏ 2/18/09

hrmdeu@va.gov Notification Letter Vacancy ID: 237345‏ 2/17/09

Galinski, Elizabeth (USAVI) RE: Announcement No.: 09-VI-FCIP-01 Legal Assistant‏ 2/16/09
ncs_jobs@blm.gov BLM JOBS ONLINE Results‏ 2/16/09
elizabeth.galinski@usdoj.gov FW: KSA document‏ 2/16/09
elizabeth.galinski@usdoj.gov RE: KSA document‏ 2/16/09
elizabeth.galinski@usdoj.gov re: Announcement No.: 09-VI-FCIP-01 Legal Assistant‏ 2/16/09

Stone, Clicky (ENRD) RE: Question - Department of Justice‏ 2/09/09

USASTAFFINGOFFICE@OPM.GOV Acknowledgement of Occupational Questionnaire‏ 2/03/09

430 messagesPage1234…13

Last edited by gea12345; 03-18-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 06:25 PM

21 posts, read 62,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I saw so many posts from you that I took a quick look at the listing. Just in the last 36 hours you were on CD continuously from early in the morning until late at night with obvious breaks only for lunch, dinner and bedtime and that seems to be a pretty regular pattern.

I honestly don't mean to be rude in any way at all, but are you seriously looking for a job?
I don't think you're the one that is rude!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarPuc View Post
I don't think you're the one that is rude!!!!
Must confess that I am now a confused old broad! I certainly wasn't posting looking for a diatribe nor a massive defensive reaction (methinks the lady doth protest too much?) Just asked a question.

geal: Now I know that since you have a computer both at home and at work then obviously your employer has no problem with your using time on the job for your own purposes. None of my business at all. I thought, though, that your post indicated that your unemployment benefits finished in April 2009 so simply assumed that maybe you were indeed unemployed. Mea culpa. I've never been on unemployment so am quite unfamiliar with the whole process and the terminology. And I didn't have to count all your posts, just happened to notice that you posted an awful lot and out of curiosity went to your profile which indicates an average of 20 posts a day from you.

For the sake of good order, I'm not out of work. Actually I've been working continuously for 47 years. Holy mackerel indeed. Cheers!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,824 times
I just got my letter that I will get an extension (Texas) but it showed my regular weekly benefit amount, not including the $20 increase. Do we not get the increase on our extension? Or will the payment reflect the increase when it is deposited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment