Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM

304 posts, read 1,436,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganCap View Post
Michiganmom: the rep I spoke to today said that since I had a valid reg. from 2/24/09 at MIWORKS, that I did NOT need to go in again. The MIWORKS registrations are supposed to be good for one year. I am hoping *fingers crossed* that I don't have any trouble Monday and I am given an amount and date. I found it funny that with the glut on the UIA system, I was told I could fax my form in Friday and still be fine to call Monday...I seriously doubt anyone is going to look at these forms unless they audit your claim.

ok good. let us know if it all goes smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 8,772 times
Hey everyone,

Re: California Fed UI Extension - Today I spoke to 'Mike' at Cal EDD who said that they haven't finished updating the computer system and/or they haven't received funding yet for the 3rd Tier extension that will be paid for those who have exhausted all of their previous extensions. He said that there was no need for potential recipients to contact the office, that once everything was set up, notices would be sent and/or claim forms will be sent. Many of us received our last 2nd tier check last week for the week ending 4/10.

On the website EDD says that they expected to have their computers updated to administer the Fed UI by mid-April, but apparently they haven't. I read an article on the web that said Cal EDD is battling antiquated electronic systems including the phone and the computer system.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 AM

151 posts, read 346,097 times
My guess is that if GM shuts down almost all of its plants for 9 weeks starting in July, unemployment in Michigan will probably go to 15%. If Chrysler and Ford follow suite we could see a 20% unemployment rate.

Should we expect an additional extension of unemployment benefits topping 100 weeks?

What are your thoughts if we see this rate of unemployment in Michigan?

Paul

Last edited by phogstenjr; 04-23-2009 at 03:55 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 AM

Scared!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 17,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phogstenjr View Post
My guess is that if GM shuts down almost all of its plants for 9 weeks starting in July, unemployment in Michigan will probably go to 15%. If Chrysler and Ford follow suite we could see a 20% unemployment rate.

Should we expect an additional extension of unemployment benefits topping 100 weeks?

What are your thoughts if we see this rate of unemployment in Michigan?

Paul
I second michiganmom2008---SCARED!!! I really really hate this. I have no idea how Granholm is going to get us out of this one. My area is so small and the jobs so sparse (at least the ones I'm qualified for) I would have to drive over an hour away just to find something half way decent. By the time you account for expenses (daycare, gas, maintenance) I'd be on the losing end. *big sigh*

Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM

well what we are doing ...we are moving into a 2 bedroom apartment this weekend, $125.00 a month cheaper, the boys are all gonna bunk together. My husband sold his truck so we only have 1 vehicle to maintain and carry insurance on. We are selling alot of our stuff that we dont need, but would of liked to keep...not an option though at this point. We are going to try to survive this through...but who knows how long or even if we will make it. Our town was a good size one.....but ALOT of the factorys have closed or are on the way to closing their doors soon. I dont know how anyone could get us out of this one.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM

710 posts, read 1,968,155 times
I am so sorry, Michiganmom and others in a similar situation. It seems like you are trying to be proactive and do what you can to get through this. I am so so sorry.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
I am so sorry, Michiganmom and others in a similar situation. It seems like you are trying to be proactive and do what you can to get through this. I am so so sorry.

Thanks Wordy....I am thanking my lucky stars for what we have though thats for sure! I know there are alot of people much worse off then us. Those families that didnt get the extensions or didnt qualify for unemployment for whatever reason. I am very thankful for everything. Very thankful for all the VERY nice and helpful people in this forum. Thanks to all of you.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM

151 posts, read 346,097 times
Hello again,

I just hope the economy turns around soon. I still have 3 more semesters before I graduate (hopefully by May of 2010, there will actually be some type of Computer Networking position available in Michigan to actually apply for)!

I don't want to have to leave Michigan in order to find a job due to the fact that I get my son Nicholas every other day and every other week end. My X-Fiance works as at medical billing, so I assume her job is somewhat secure (however it is for a/psychology office that does seems to be staying afloat due to court ordered counseling). Therefore she would not be willing to leave Michigan.

Paul

Last edited by phogstenjr; 04-23-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM

2,364 posts, read 11,147,499 times
Try for government jobs, state/federal if you have at least 5 years experience.
goodluck!

p.s. Keep your eye on the Bureau of Labor Statistics and keep track of industries that are hiring. Also, the business journals or sections of the newspaper to know where the green jobs are going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogstenjr View Post
Hello again,

I just hope the economy turns around soon. I still have 3 more semesters before I graduate (hopefully by May of 20010, there will actually be some type of Computer Networking position available in Michigan to actually apply for)!

I don't want to have to leave Michigan in order to find a job due to the fact that I get my son Nicholas every other day and every other week end. My X-Fiance works as at medical billing, so I assume her job is somewhat secure (however it is for a/psychology office that does seems to be staying afloat due to court ordered counseling). Therefore she would not be willing to leave Michigan.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment