U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,899,452 times

Advertisements

Hippeee!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM

106 posts, read 273,114 times
Here is some news for anyone looking for info about EB in NJ. I claimed my last Tier 2 check on 4/16 aand received a brown envelope (like the blue one that comes with your check) in the mail today, 4/20. There is a yellow section across the top that you need to fill out with job search info and mail back on the Fri. before you claiim your benefits. I have to claim my benefits on 4/30 so I have to mail my yellow form on 4/24 and thats pretty much it. Good luck and happy job searching!!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM

38 posts, read 78,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embagel View Post
"you must have exhausted your Tier II ON OR AFTER 1/25/09, but if you exhausted Tier II PRIOR to 1/25/09, THEN your benefit year end must be 1/31/09 or later. So which is it?"

If you were receiving EUC Tier 1 & 2, and exhausted the benefits after 1/25/09 you qualify for Extended Benefits (EB); if you are still receiving EUC benefits then you qualify for EB when you exhaust all EUC benefits. For most people this is what will apply to them as most people have just recently begun to exhaust all EUC benefits.

For those that exhausted all EUC benefits PRIOR to 1/25/09, then the criteria to qualify for Extended Benefits (EB) is their benefit year end has to be 1/31/09 or later. If their benefit year ending is prior to 1/31/09 then they will not qualify for EB.
This is a great answer! I have been very confused....just to run my situation by you, I live in Georgia and have exhausted my second tier benefits, however when looking at the paperwork, it says my benefit year ends 7/29/09, so does this mean I am eligible for EB? According to your post, I guess I would qualify, but I just wanted to clarify since i am sitting here having a nervous breakdown at the possibility of my benefits being completely exhausted at this time. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 AM

46 posts, read 138,586 times
For Michigan Unemployment recipients about to start drawing EB. We are mailed letters telling us to file the ap before we run out of Tier II, but if the ap is received BEFORE the last Tier II week is paid, the ap goes into a "holding tank." When the last Tier II week is paid, the ap is supposed to move over and become active. This is not happening. If you filed your EB af BEFORE YOU CALLED FOR YOUR LAST WEEK OF TIER II, call in because your ap is just sitting there and nothing is going to happen. The attendant I spoke to today was awesome, she took my info., resent my ap, and is going to check Thursday to see if it processed. If not, she is going to manually hand it to a data entry clerk to be processed in time for my first EB call Monday 4/27. She is going to CALL ME Monday after my call in time to make sure I got an amount and date for my payment. How is THAT for service! I can't say enough about how helpful the Michigan UIA workers have been in the past 13 months.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM

151 posts, read 334,766 times
My call date for my last week (I only getting 1 not 2 weeks paid) of Tier II is tomorrow (Wednesday, April, 22nd, 2009) between 10:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.

Should I call the Unemployment Office after or before I do the above on the Internet (I don't call).

I don't believe that the EB will go in effect the second week (ending 4-18-09), even though I am only getting the first week (ending 4-11-09) paid for by Tier II.

Paul

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM

304 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phogstenjr View Post
My call date for my last week (I only getting 1 not 2 weeks paid) of Tier II is tomorrow (Wednesday, April, 22nd, 2009) between 10:00 a.m - 11:00 a.m.

Should I call the Unemployment Office after or before I do the above on the Internet (I don't call).

I don't believe that the EB will go in effect the second week (ending 4-18-09), even though I am only getting the first week (ending 4-11-09) paid for by Tier II.

Paul

I would call them and ask, because it should continue right on....I would still claim that second week........They told me to continue right on certifying with marvin even though my tier 2 was at the end. Back when I was crossing over from tier 1 to tier 2 I was like you, only had 1 of the last two weeks left....I only did the 1 week and just for the heck of it called them up and the guy asked me why I didnt do the 2nd week and I told him I didnt know I could, and didnt want to get in any trouble for trying to claim an extra week...he issued me that weeks check which was the begining of my tier 2 that I was at that time didnt even know I had yet...Same for EB...but if you have any doubts call in, it wont hurt to ask. I just got my monetary determination in the mail today for the Extended benefits....3 weeks after I filed for the EB online.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM

304 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganCap View Post
For Michigan Unemployment recipients about to start drawing EB. We are mailed letters telling us to file the ap before we run out of Tier II, but if the ap is received BEFORE the last Tier II week is paid, the ap goes into a "holding tank." When the last Tier II week is paid, the ap is supposed to move over and become active. This is not happening. If you filed your EB af BEFORE YOU CALLED FOR YOUR LAST WEEK OF TIER II, call in because your ap is just sitting there and nothing is going to happen. The attendant I spoke to today was awesome, she took my info., resent my ap, and is going to check Thursday to see if it processed. If not, she is going to manually hand it to a data entry clerk to be processed in time for my first EB call Monday 4/27. She is going to CALL ME Monday after my call in time to make sure I got an amount and date for my payment. How is THAT for service! I can't say enough about how helpful the Michigan UIA workers have been in the past 13 months.

yep, when I called last week it didnt show I applied for the EB even though I did over 2 weeks ago.....she put mine right through at that time. I think I still have to go down to Michigan works and register again though. Doing that tomorrow, already updated my resume for the 15th time*LOL*

Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM

151 posts, read 334,766 times
OK....... Thanks for the information!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM

46 posts, read 138,586 times
Michiganmom: the rep I spoke to today said that since I had a valid reg. from 2/24/09 at MIWORKS, that I did NOT need to go in again. The MIWORKS registrations are supposed to be good for one year. I am hoping *fingers crossed* that I don't have any trouble Monday and I am given an amount and date. I found it funny that with the glut on the UIA system, I was told I could fax my form in Friday and still be fine to call Monday...I seriously doubt anyone is going to look at these forms unless they audit your claim.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM

106 posts, read 273,114 times
FYI for NJ: The EB benefits for NJ will be extended from 13 weeks to 20 weeks. This will give all of us struggling to find a job an additional 7 weeks of benefits. Good luck to all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment