Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
oh yeah...did it before my tier 2 kicked in...had to file a new claim then too. that might be what you are remembering.

No, I remember quite clearly, since i do have a good memory when it comes to emotional stuff and people's problems.

You posted on April 3rd one day before I l eft for Canada the following info about your phone call, your letter re: EB benefits and my response: The below all refers to "EB" benefits, not to Euc beneifts. My comment above refers to you HAVING to file a new claim in order to get your EB benefits. You also asked why, since you had already been previously rejected. That is what I remember.

Originally Posted by michiganmom2008
ok....in the mail today I got a letter "Notice to unemployed workers who may be eligible for extended benefits (EB)"

To be Eligible is says you MUST MEET ALL THE FOLLOWING:
1. You are unemployed or underemployed, and
2. You have exhausted all state and federal unemployment compensation, and the federal EUC extension, and
3.You have a current benefit year with an expiration date of 01/31/09 or later, and
4. You meet the eligibility requirements of the law and are not disqualified.

Ok so I meet all except #3 because my benefit year ended 12/27/08. I called the office and said "I dont qualify right?" she says to fill out the application for EB because it is a screening process...I told her it wouldnt let me It says I have to file a new claim. She repeated herself and told me to go ahead and file the new claim, I would get a monetary determination and that it was part of the screening process...*L* OK! I GOT IT!! I will file a new claim!! and pray like heck I get the EB!! She says just cause I dont meet all the above doesnt mean I wont get the EB.

Well, at least it is crystal clear now....so all we have to hope is that your end date of your benefit year is so close to the 2009, that it will be negligible and that you made enough in your base year. That is what is saying in PA, that you must have made 40 x's your benefit amount in your base year.

good luck

Last edited by gea12345; 04-13-2009 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM

46 posts, read 141,746 times
MichiganMom: I haven't gotten my EB determination yet. When I called UIA to ask if they had my EB app. on file since I did it on online they said they had it, and that someone would review it once my Tier II ended. A friend of mine was told not to fill the ap out until she'd made her last Tier II call - so I'm not sure if me filling the EB ap out beforehand will create a problem; the guy I talked to did not indicate that it would and I got the letter before my Tier II ended telling me to apply for EB, so I guess we'll see.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 PM

304 posts, read 1,433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
No, I remember quite clearly, since i do have a good memory when it comes to emotional stuff and people's problems.

You posted on April 3rd one day before I l eft for Canada the following info about your phone call, your letter re: EB benefits and my response:

Originally Posted by michiganmom2008
ok....in the mail today I got a letter "Notice to unemployed workers who may be eligible for extended benefits (EB)"

To be Eligible is says you MUST MEET ALL THE FOLLOWING:
1. You are unemployed or underemployed, and
2. You have exhausted all state and federal unemployment compensation, and the federal EUC extension, and
3.You have a current benefit year with an expiration date of 01/31/09 or later, and
4. You meet the eligibility requirements of the law and are not disqualified.

Ok so I meet all except #3 because my benefit year ended 12/27/08. I called the office and said "I dont qualify right?" she says to fill out the application for EB because it is a screening process...I told her it wouldnt let me It says I have to file a new claim. She repeated herself and told me to go ahead and file the new claim, I would get a monetary determination and that it was part of the screening process...*L* OK! I GOT IT!! I will file a new claim!! and pray like heck I get the EB!! She says just cause I dont meet all the above doesnt mean I wont get the EB.

Well, at least it is crystal clear now....so all we have to hope is that your end date of your benefit year is so close to the 2009, that it will be negligible and that you made enough in your base year. That is what is saying in PA, that you must have made 40 x's your benefit amount in your base year.

good luck

ok then....yep that was when I called and yep did my last file on a new claim!*S*

Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganCap View Post
MichiganMom: I haven't gotten my EB determination yet. When I called UIA to ask if they had my EB app. on file since I did it on online they said they had it, and that someone would review it once my Tier II ended. A friend of mine was told not to fill the ap out until she'd made her last Tier II call - so I'm not sure if me filling the EB ap out beforehand will create a problem; the guy I talked to did not indicate that it would and I got the letter before my Tier II ended telling me to apply for EB, so I guess we'll see.

Yep I did the same...still waiting too.....let me know as soon as you hear something and I will do the same HOPE it dont mess anything up, they told me on the phone to go ahead and do it....but they have misguided me before so I guess it wouldnt surprise me any.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom2008 View Post
ok then....yep that was when I called and yep did my last file on a new claim!*S*

So, hopefully only one more week and you will hopefully know one way or another about your "EB" beneifts.... take care

Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

46 posts, read 141,746 times
My friend who was told not to fill out the ap had not gotten the letter. I am *hoping* that since I got the letter, and the system allowed me to fill out the ap, that there won't be an issue. I'll let you know either way!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM

[SIZE=+1]Governor Granholm Signs Legislation Extending Jobless Benefits up to Seven Weeks[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Contact: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Liz Boyd 517-335-7821[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=2] April 13, 2009 [/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Legislation part of state's continued efforts to protect citizens [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]LANSING - Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today signed legislation that provides jobless Michigan workers with up to seven additional weeks of unemployment benefits.

"In these extremely difficult times, I am pleased we can provide some additional financial help to unemployed workers in the state," Granholm said. "These additional unemployment benefits will not only help families in meeting their basic needs, but they also provide an economic boost to Michigan businesses - the service stations, grocery stores, and retailers - who sell the goods and services families need."

The newly signed legislation expands the extended benefit (EB) program from 13 weeks up to 20 weeks and takes effect immediately. It also boosts the maximum number of weeks an unemployed Michigan worker currently can receive unemployment benefits from 72 to 79 weeks.

Unemployed workers in the state may qualify for up to 26 weeks of state unemployment benefits, up to 33 weeks of federal emergency unemployment compensation (EUC) and, now, up to 20 weeks of extended benefits.

Starting today, newly filed extended-benefits claims will qualify for the additional weeks of EB. Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) will also go back and issue redeterminations for all existing EB claims and add up to seven weeks of benefits to those claims.

The UIA estimates that approximately 3,000 unemployed workers are now receiving extended benefits, but it anticipates the number will jump to 70,000 by the end of April as workers who are collecting federal EUC begin exhausting those benefits and moving into the EB program. By year's end, the agency estimates that over 200,000 unemployed Michigan workers will have received extended benefits.

The EB program began in January 2009. The week ending January 31 was the first week for which extended benefits could be paid.

Granholm pointed out that these extended benefits are funded by the federal Recovery Act, which means Michigan employers will not be assessed for them.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The UIA notifies unemployed workers about the EB program when they have two or less weeks remaining on their EUC claim. The agency sends them a notice telling the workers how to apply for the EB either by telephone or online. If the claim is allowed, the worker receives a packet of information, including details about the program's work search requirement.

To help the unemployed Michigan workers and their families who are trying to cope economically during these challenging times, earlier this year, Governor Granholm signed a contract with the U.S. Department of Labor, which increased unemployment benefits by $25 per week. The governor also expanded state services to utilize every available resource to ensure that Michigan citizens have expanded access to file claims, resolve problems, and get information on unemployment benefits in a timely manner.

Steps taken to meet the needs of unemployed citizens, include: extending hours and hiring additional staff at unemployment offices and call centers, opening a new call center in Lansing, extending the hours of the automated telephone system to include Saturdays, allowing citizens to certify for benefits online, adding more computer servers to process claims up to five times faster, and accelerating training to get new hires on the job faster.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM

151 posts, read 345,607 times
I received a letter "NOTICE TO UNEMPLOYED WORKERS WHO MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR EXTENDED BENEFITS (EB)" today.

I completed the EB form as instructed. The letter indicates the following:

"you must still report to your local MWA service center in person 2-3 days before you first contact with MARVIN to have your registration for work (resume) verified".

"If you are eligible for EB, you must seek work with at least three employers each week you certify for benefits". Note you will be provided Form 1583 to record your work search (or it can be recorded online). The completed Form 1583 is to be mailed back to the UIA before you contact MARVIN to claim your benefits.

After completion of the EB form and it is submitted you will be take to another document where a confirmation number is provided and you are informed to print the document for your records. This document also indicates that you are required to visit your local Michigan Works Agency 2-3 days before contacting MARVIN. Further more it states that "you will receive a decision by mail of your eligibiliybfor the extension".

Paul

Old 04-14-2009, 09:34 PM

I am happy for Michigan, since Pennsylvania is still at 33 plus 26 weeks at a total of 59 weeks tops!! I will let you know if we get more than 59 weeks, but I am hoping that i have a job before that point!
I will also provide you a link, so that you can verify what I say, if we do exceed 59 weeks! And yes, each state started their EUC and EB on different months and different dates, not at the same time!

take care!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-14-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 PM

151 posts, read 345,607 times
Wow EUC and EB has different start times.

I am currently attending college to obtain a CIS degree, which is being paid for by the Michigan Works "No Worker Left Behind" program.

As part of the requirements to obtain Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) legally (I don't want to be accused of fraud), I applied for and was granted a waiver for the seeking work requirements and availability for work requirements. I hope this waiver that I was granted will work with Extended Benefits (EB)?

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment