U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,271 times

Advertisements

After 27 years I was laid off in TX. I am receiving severence pay. I moved to Fl. Do I have to wait untill severence stops before apply for unemployment and in which state do I apply? thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM

26,589 posts, read 59,445,149 times
Not sure about your questions, but I can tell you that FL unemployment maxes out at $275/week!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM

2,364 posts, read 10,850,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnana View Post
After 27 years I was laid off in TX. I am receiving severence pay. I moved to Fl. Do I have to wait untill severence stops before apply for unemployment and in which state do I apply? thanks

You of course will need to call your U.C. office to find out! But from what I understand you wait until your severance stops to apply!! And you apply in the state where your employer employed you and terminated you. That is the state that pays.

But I have also heard that you file right away and report any vaction or servarance pay you get during your weekly claims. But you will have to call or go online to find out!

good luck!!

p.s. I have heard that Texas unfairly sets up its rules to the detriment of employees and to the benefit of employers, so there may be more hoops to jump through!!

p.p.s Also, if you move, I believe that your EB will be affected! But not your Regular U.C. or your EUC, but you will have to double check!!

I personally moved from Phila where my U.C. claim was filed, to the state of Oregon! I had no problem getting my checks sent to Oregon! And I filed by telephone! But now online is the best way, if they offer it!! And your max. rate will more than likely be online! Phila is above 500!

p.s. Also, employers will sometimes will keep you on the rolls until they have paid you all they owe you, therefore you will not be able to file, until they have removed you from their employee rolls!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-20-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 PM

41 posts, read 141,869 times
I am receiving unemployment right now from Texas. I also received a severance check from my former employer. They do not care about that check. I still got my unemployment money. There was an option that asked if I worked in the time period or received any vacation hours. Severance is not vacation so I checked 'NO'.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Ok. I have been working in Florida for the last 4 years. My corporate office is in San Antonio, and I will be moving back to San Antonio within the next few weeks. In which state do I need to be filing for unemployment benefits?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM

24,760 posts, read 53,560,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaldey View Post
Ok. I have been working in Florida for the last 4 years. My corporate office is in San Antonio, and I will be moving back to San Antonio within the next few weeks. In which state do I need to be filing for unemployment benefits?
You file for benefits and submit all your claims to FL. Your employer should have been paying UI tax to FL for its FL employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment