Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 AM

160 posts, read 374,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Boardwalk: I don't at all want to sound discouraging but I must ask- how have you determined that this medical certification is indeed in a high-demand field? The medical field is being touted as a high growth field but believe it or not I have friends who are being laid off in this field. And, if they are not being laid off they are not being offered full-time work. Plus, I volunteer in a medical setting and, believe it or not, some of the newer employees have been let go due to lack of work. Just thought that I should lay all the cards on the table, and dispel some of the myths (in my opinion, they are myths) about what the media says regarding opportunities in the medical field these days.
Locally, the job postings are endless. This particular niche in medical field is in high demand in my area in part because of the high senior population. I have a few friends that are RN's who have also confirmed this. Last semester, this particular program placed 80% of those who graduated PRIOR to the class even ending. I'm OK with P/T work. I'm more concerned with getting established in this field.

P.S. I never believe ANYTHING the media tells me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 AM

154 posts, read 532,855 times
Great! Best of luck to you and it will be so nice to hear of a success story. And it you like your new occupation that's the icing on the cake.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 63,060 times
I want to go back to school. I have applied for and am in the process of transferring old college credit over. My benefits run out in late July, with no hope of extension on the horizon. I have been unemployed since Feb 2009. If I were to go back to school this Fall, there will be a conflict with not having the money for daycare. My wife works, but once we start putting my daughter back in school, on no additional income, we are going to be screwed....NC has a WIA program for dislocated workers for myself, but, they are out of money for now, and maybe/maybe not will have the funding come late June. IF. Late-registration is in June, but still the fact remains of one paycheck paying for everything non-school related....I have 21 years experience of QA/QC experience in engineering consulting lab management, but nobody is hiring.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,982,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk 08755 View Post
I have a BS degree in political science (totally useless). Last time I lost my job (in 2001), NJ UI said a degree was as "skill" and I did not qualify for re-training. Now I'm out of work again, but have saved up enough cash to pay for a "fast track" medical certification at a local community college. (Yes, it's a high-demand field and no, I have not enrolled yet). I know the state won't pay for it...I don't expect them to. My question is however; will I qualify for UI benefits if I'm attending school at night or should I just claim I'm not attending school at all? Technically, I can still look for work during the day, and If I did get a job, could continue to go to school at night. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
Please tell me what the specific medical certification is for. I'm very curious! What will you be getting certified for?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM

When I became unemployed in NY in 1999, I had to go to unemployment for some kind of orientation. They gave out pamphlets explaining how to fill out the job search forms, etc. Waaaay at the back of the book there was information about going to college and remaining on unemployment. Turns out that if an industry was considered in high demand by the state DOL, I could matriculate and go to college (they did not pay for the college), and continue on unemployment.

They paid me unemployment for two years while I got my associate's degree. Luckily, I was able to live on the unemployment I got. I did not have to look for a job. I had to maintain a C or better to continue in the program.

Now, here in PA, the county I live in (maybe all counties, IDK for sure) will give people $3000 towards going to the county's community college (does not have to be a high demand industry, I think). There are waiting lists, I've heard. Aside from the community college, people also can get trained for free (and receive unemployment) in high demand fields (like CDL driving, health care, a lot of things) as determined by the state, and do not have to look for work while they are in training. There are tons of programs to sign up for.

The thinking in both cases is that it's worth it to invest in the individual if the final result will be a working individual who will make a living wage (or much better).

In neither case above was the information posted anywhere conspicuously. You have to really search in your own state to see if they provide training services or will allow you to go to college while on unemployment.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 14,622 times
What happens if you get financial aid with unemployment? If the loan gives you money for "living expenses" do you have to claim that as income for unemployment?

I'm thinking about taking online courses and getting a subsidized Stafford loan. I'm told they give you enough for classes, textbooks, room and board and living expenses.

So if there's $2,000 given for living expenses, is that deducted from my unemployment benefits?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 PM

723 posts, read 2,188,758 times
you are OK. Student loans do not count towards income.

However depending on what type of course it is you may or may not have to keep up with your daily job searches. Anything regarding job retraining (not a four year degree) may exempt you from looking for work. If it's a typical degree program you'd still be expected to look for work.

I just took out 6k for the previous year so...yeah...I made sure what was going on before hand.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
you are OK. Student loans do not count towards income.

However depending on what type of course it is you may or may not have to keep up with your daily job searches. Anything regarding job retraining (not a four year degree) may exempt you from looking for work. If it's a typical degree program you'd still be expected to look for work.

I just took out 6k for the previous year so...yeah...I made sure what was going on before hand.
It depends upon the state you live in. Some states will pay for your tuition if you sign up through their Dept. of Labor for a matriculated program that they have deemed as an "in demand" field. This can lead to a certificate, associate's degree, or a bachelor's degree. If you do this, you do not have to look for a job while going to college (at least in NY). Check with your state's DOL.

Some states also will pay for training in the health fields, like a one-year certificate as a medical assistant, or an 8 week program to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL).

If you can get the DOL to pay for the program then you would only have to get a loan for living expenses.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 33,506 times
I went through Wf1 in Florida, they are Paying 6000.00 for the school that offers the training I need. I am actively looking for work during the day and meeting all the requirements of U?C. I called U/C last week to ask about the extension U/C payment and I made the mistake and told the guy that I had a job offer but I could not take the job until I finish the training that WF1 is paying for and I get the required license from the state for the job. I told him I was going to school at night to receive training for the job and it would not effect my looking for a job or working if I find one. The guy told me he would make a note of it and put it in my file and told me that I did qualify for the next extension and should not be a problem. This was on Tuesday the day I claimed my weeks.
On Friday I checked my bank to make sure my U/C was paid and it was not there. I panicked because the U/C benefit is not enough to pay your bills with as it is and I will probably get evicted with out my check, like next week. It's sad to say but things are that close, I know most people can
relate. I called U/C and ask them why I did not get my check and they told me because I was going to school and I would not be able to look for a job as required by U/C. I told them that my going to school at night like in no way shape or form interferes with my job search and if I find a job if i have to will quit the school, I don't have a job that's the point of the training that the state is paying for. This is unbelievable. i ask to speak to his supervisor and he told me he had no supervisor and there's no one else to talk to. I ask him to tell me where in there paperwork, Website, or even in the Florida statutes or rules and regulations did it say that if I cannot find a job and I get approved training at night that would qualify me for a job with out effecting my required job search that you can just stop my check. He said look on the website. I did and there is nothing about it on there, not in the hand book or anywhere else.
I called them back and told him that. He said your case is going up before the review board and it's going take 4 to 6 weeks. I have been unemployed for a while, exhausted all my savings and if I go 6 weeks without income I will loose every thing i own and get evicted and be out in the street. You ever try to go to school or look for a job while living under a bridge.
I have worked my ass off all my life and paid for unemployment insurance it was taken out of my pay check every week and dammit I'm entitled to it to help me get by till I get back to work. As a matter of fact this guy that just made a decision to stop my check gets paid from the tax money they took out of my paycheck when I was working.
I think these are some very sick, mentally i'll people that are allowed to work for the state and make decisions and play games with peoples life like that. They need to be fired, tared and feathered, put out in the street, black balled with no chance of getting a job and then put in jail for vagrancy, extortion and crimes against the state. By the way if you happen to see me standing in one of the intersections in the street please drop some change in my cup. The bridge I'm going to have to live under is 12 miles from school and I'm going to need bus fare and pencils for school.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM

3,321 posts, read 7,937,936 times
This was a few years ago so I'm pretty sure the rules are different now. I worked part-time for about 3 years at a company then was laid off. I was going to school during these years. I collected umemployment while going to school full-time. I also obtained a loan during this time as well. I had ZERO issues with this or on my tax return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment