U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 25,682 times

Advertisements

Did you go full time or part time? I am thinking about either going to class one day a week for 2 1/2 hours during the day. If that might be a problem I can go at night. What do u think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
I was collecting umemployment while I was in school...in Illinois you have to prove that school doesn't interfere with work...it was a hassle I had to bring my class schedule every term and sit for hours to see an agent to explain to her why school didn't have anything to do with me looking for a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 25,600 times
that is NOT true. You can go to school and collect unemployment. You can only go part time. Then you must fill out a form indicating you are going to school. Get the form from your local unemployment office. The days and hours must be listed. Then you have to prove you applied for jobs during the weeks you are in school, and you will get paid! No need to lie. No need to cheat. Just follow the rules and fill out one easy form and then just track you applications.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM

14,508 posts, read 28,905,761 times
Your suggestion is not universal. Many states require the school/training to be "approved." If it's not approved, you can be disqualified over just a measly one-hour class.

So my suggestion is to never sign up on your own for classes, but to always check to see what the requirements are to get it approved first, and follow the rules. Getting benefits shut down while waiting on investigations, adjudications, and appeals is more than most people's savings accounts can ride out.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 48,766 times
My friend is currently going to school full time and receiving unemployment in CA. When they initially filed for UE they stated that they were in school and it triggered a phone interview. They were asked how often they went to school and they answered full time but that they were still actively looking for a job. UE had no problem with this and my friend's been getting UE now for 1.5 years.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 PM

112 posts, read 272,308 times
In 2009i was collection EDD. I was told by the rep that as long as you are in school full time (night = 20 hrs a week and day = 12 units) you dont have to look for work. I was going to school at night (20 hrs a week) and collecting EDD and dint have to look for work.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 AM

2 posts, read 50,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkkyy77 View Post
My husband was able to go to school full time and still collect unemployment benefits (last year). This is in WI. The catch was that he had to go through the local Job Center and enroll into an approved program (there was a lengthy list to choose from). Once he enrolled, his work search was waived and he went for a one year program in HVAC. Found a full time job at a great company a month or so before graduation, and started right after he was finished with school. So it is possible, but the proper steps must be followed for it to be eligible schooling.

Hey I live in Racine Wi, I was wondering if you could tell me how your husband got into that program (going to school and collecting unemployment)? what was the approved program called? and if you have a number i can call or any info ..Thank you

Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 50,303 times
Hey I live in Racine Wi, I was wondering if you could tell me how your husband got into that program (going to school and collecting unemployment)? what was the approved program called? and if you have a number i can call or any info ..Thank you

Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 23,881 times
I'm in California receiving UI and I'm curious as to how I find out if the school I'm going to is approved by edd? Need to turn in monthly form and idk if I leave the back blank or take it to my school and get it filled out before sending it off.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM

24,603 posts, read 53,333,010 times
Call EDD. Good strategies on last few pages of this thread:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 23,792 times
[quote=hnsq;8458547]One reason many people do not take out unemployment while students is that they are still officially marked as dependants on their parent's taxes, which means they can't file. If you want to get money for doing nothing, get a job with a company that pays for school and take classes at night - don't immediately look for a handout from the government[/

I'm sorry to say, but unemployment is not considered a handout. Welfare is considered a handout.

For those of us who work hard, we all contribute to the unemployment pot. Its there for the purpose to allow us time to look for employment in case we get laid off or terminated for whatever reason - political, good or bad - we can move onto another job.

It's ok to collect & seek employment in order to move on with life and go back to school to better yourself or simply to learn another career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment