Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

I have held 2 full time jobs for the past 3 years.

I know I can't collect 2 unemployment checks at once.
Does it mean when I have exhausted the unemployment benefits from job#1 that I could collect the unemployment benefits from the job #2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
If you're working two full-time jobs concurrently, it's unlikely you'll collect anything because either job alone will exceed your unemployment benefit.

Now, if you're asking if you lose both jobs simultaneously, then your benefit will be calculated using the earnings from both jobs, and you'll just get a bigger benefit up to a max benefit cap. You won't be able to qualify for a subsequent claim with earnings dated after your claim began.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 79,348 times
Im currently facing an issue...

I work part time and my brother is asking if i would like part time work at a different place

My question, will my benefits be affected if i work 30hr at one place and 12 hrs at a different job...

My hrs are never consistent at work, they fluctuate between 8 to 30hrs a week...and this second part time job is on once a week (catering service)

I just dont want to get my benefits taken away for workin 40 hrs on one week period and its only for this week...

So to put it bluntly, will working 40hrs for those 2 jobs in one week affect me negatively...?

I get roughly 700 every 2 weeks, but deducted amount obviously by what i make at my reg part time job... this second job is only once a week and pays a bit better than regular part time... any help is appreciated

Old 05-19-2012, 03:57 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
My question, will my benefits be affected if i work 30hr at one place and 12 hrs at a different job...

My hrs are never consistent at work, they fluctuate between 8 to 30hrs a week...and this second part time job is on once a week (catering service)

I just dont want to get my benefits taken away for workin 40 hrs on one week period and its only for this week...

So to put it bluntly, will working 40hrs for those 2 jobs in one week affect me negatively...?
You are in California, I see from previous posts. Please, always indicate your state. Whether not claims are closed after one week of working full-time, or not receiving a benefit, varies by state. In WI, claims are not closed until two consecutive weeks pass without a benefit being paid.

CA, however, will close or suspend your claim if, in any week, you work "full-time" or earn $$ in excess of your benefit taking into consideration its 25% allowance. You will need to call CA to resume benefits when your hours/earnings once again qualify you for benefits. There shouldn't be a problem, but CA will need to schedule an interview which will delay payment of benefits.

Only you can determine if the hassle is worth it. You won't lose your benefits, just have to jump through a few hoops.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If you earn enough to lose unemployment pay for a week, GREAT. That extends the life of your benefits. Could come in handy in a few months if no work is to be found.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You are in California, I see from previous posts. Please, always indicate your state. Whether not claims are closed after one week of working full-time, or not receiving a benefit, varies by state. In WI, claims are not closed until two consecutive weeks pass without a benefit being paid.

CA, however, will close or suspend your claim if, in any week, you work "full-time" or earn $$ in excess of your benefit taking into consideration its 25% allowance. You will need to call CA to resume benefits when your hours/earnings once again qualify you for benefits. There shouldn't be a problem, but CA will need to schedule an interview which will delay payment of benefits.

Only you can determine if the hassle is worth it. You won't lose your benefits, just have to jump through a few hoops.
The claim is suspended and not closed (I have done this too, LOL...the last 2 years have been an adventure through EDD). The only way there would be an issue with the claim actually being closed is if the BYE occurs during the time in which you are not collecting.

When you call to restart the benefits, you are scheduled for a phone interview. All you have to tell them is what happened, that you took a "one shot" job that caused you to go over either in hours or to exceed the benefit amount. Your benefit amount also remains the same (unless, again, there is a BYE during the time period). You are still able to certify for benefits between the date that you call EDD to reopen your claim and while you are waiting for the phone interview. You don't get the money until you are found eligible, but they do pay any weeks that are missed while waiting for the phone interview to restart payments on the claim. It has also been my experience that the new claim wait time for the phone interview is usually about 3 weeks (sometimes 2) but that when you reopen a claim, the time frame for the phone interview is shorter.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Ohh i get it...since im betting 350 a week...as long as it doesnt exceed that for that week, ill be able to worth both job... great to know....thank u

Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Do you have to report actual hours worked in CA? If so, working more than 30 or 32 hrs may stop your benefits, regardless of what you earn.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Do you have to report actual hours worked in CA? If so, working more than 30 or 32 hrs may stop your benefits, regardless of what you earn.
You report both. They use both of them as a way to figure it out, at least that is what I was told last time. I worked one week about 34 hours and was able to retain my benefits as I showed that the next week I only worked 8. There is a section where you report total earnings and also who you worked for and indicate if you no longer work there and why, or if you are still working. and the amount earned are separated by week on the claim form. The earnings If you work 30 hours but only make 250, then even though you worked 30 hours, you did not make over the benefit amount.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You report both. They use both of them as a way to figure it out, at least that is what I was told last time. I worked one week about 34 hours and was able to retain my benefits as I showed that the next week I only worked 8. There is a section where you report total earnings and also who you worked for and indicate if you no longer work there and why, or if you are still working. and the amount earned are separated by week on the claim form. The earnings If you work 30 hours but only make 250, then even though you worked 30 hours, you did not make over the benefit amount.
My weeks are just as inconsistent one week ill work 5 hrs, the next 24, the next 30 hours the next 10...

I figured i could use this secondary part time on days when i get only 8 hrs a week...they pay more and its once a week...figured it will just help me instead of waiting for UI since it pays weekly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment