Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,763,746 times

Advertisements

More-Cities-Seeing-at-Least-15-Percent-Unemployment: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Glad I don't live there! But it's already hard getting a job in Chicago at 9% unemployment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,099,062 times
None of these things surprise me. When someone like me with years of experience and education cannot get hired for a 12 hour a week job or a 20 hour a week job it's just something I cannot get my head around.

I keep wondering who are these FANTASTIC people I am competing with?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,250,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
None of these things surprise me. When someone like me with years of experience and education cannot get hired for a 12 hour a week job or a 20 hour a week job it's just something I cannot get my head around.

I keep wondering who are these FANTASTIC people I am competing with?
It's probably because you have too much education and experience, and they know you'll leave when something more substantial comes along. That's my guess.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,141,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
It's probably because you have too much education and experience, and they know you'll leave when something more substantial comes along. That's my guess.
I agree. Also retail hiring managers are only considering people with full availability. If you say you need Sundays off or can only work days, you're put in the reject pile regardless of how much experience you have.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,099,062 times
Yes, I think so...

Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 AM

989 posts, read 1,880,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post

That's a very good point. This is a tough economy right now, and you may want to re-work your resume by playing down your skills, education,experience,etc. Being overqualified for a role is just as much as a dilemma as being underqualified for a role.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,676,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
That's a very good point. This is a tough economy right now, and you may want to re-work your resume by playing down your skills, education,experience,etc. Being overqualified for a role is just as much as a dilemma as being underqualified for a role.

Yep. When I was applying for a part time job last year to supplement my full time job (stupid pesky medical bills) I deleted about half my resume. One HR person from a big box pet store (I have 15+ years of livestock/pet/ranch experience) told me I might make the other employees feel bad if I knew too much....

Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,717,830 times
Oh but your govt tells us things are really improving and we hit bottom. If you believe that then I'm telling you right now that I hit the pick 6 lotto mega millions 10 consectutive drawings in a row. And I will even share it with you.

Now....we all know whatever your govt tells us is half truth if there is any truth to it at all. It is safe to just about double those numbers to come up with an accurate reading.

Even if you were sucker and gullable enough to believe your govt then you still have to add in all those who's unemployment ran out, those who gave up looking for work and of course those who are/were self employed for which no statistics are even kept. These peasants of our country are not counted in the official unemployment rate.

Everything the govt releases is just manipulated numbers to fool us.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 AM

710 posts, read 1,964,308 times
I'm sorry, Gypsy. I hope something happens for you very soon.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,463,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
I'm sorry, Gypsy. I hope something happens for you very soon.
I am sorry too Gypsy (hey, I had a dog named Gypsy! )

How's your husband treating you these days in light of our jobless economy?

As for me, I haven't even tried. Have bigger fish to fry right now. I do have an appt with a temp agency next Thursday, but I am so-so on the whole deal. If something is available, I'll take it. If not, then I guess I won't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment