Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:15 PM

326 posts, read 880,616 times

Advertisements

For those who are unemployed
1) How many job applications do you send on average in a week or a month etc
2) Whats the longest you been une,ployed for?
3) For every 10applications, how many interviews are you landing?

Thanks

Any other info wld be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
For those who are unemployed
1) How many job applications do you send on average in a week or a month etc
2) Whats the longest you been une,ployed for?
3) For every 10applications, how many interviews are you landing?

Thanks

Any other info wld be helpful

I don't count how many times I apply to jobs but I do average 2 interviews a month

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't count how many times I apply to jobs but I do average 2 interviews a month
'
I've been having trouble for a long (finding a job) ...now wondering if I'm under applying.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
'
I've been having trouble for a long (finding a job) ...now wondering if I'm under applying.
see alot of people think that applying to hundreds of jobs increases their chances of getting a interview and that's not the case. You have to apply to the right jobs and if that means 5 applications a week then that's ok. I only applied to jobs I felt I was a good fit for and that was about 8 applys a week. People who send out 500 resumes are just applying to anything and that's not how you get job interviews. But I was finally able to get a job offer today and it took me 4 months so my advice to anyone that's unemployed is to apply to jobs that you are a good fit for not just any job. Just because you apply to 60 jobs in one day doesn't mean it was a productive day.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But I was finally able to get a job offer today and it took me 4 months so my advice to anyone that's unemployed is to apply to jobs that you are a good fit for not just any job. Just because you apply to 60 jobs in one day doesn't mean it was a productive day.
TVguy, congrats on the job offer!

For the OP,
I was unemployed last year and approached it differently than TVguy. I had about 8yrs of experience on me, mainly in finance and knew what I wanted to do and what I was qualified for. I pretty much applied to any job that I was interested in and pertained to my career and that I was qualified for. However, I also applied to jobs that I was not 100% qualified for. For example, if they listed 10 things that were requirements, and I only had 5, I applied for them anyway if it was a job I wanted. I felt that I had no job and no income (minus unemployment), so what did I have to lose? Worse case, I don't hear from them. I don't quite remember the numbers of submissions, but I would have to guess around 10-20 every week for about 6 weeks. After about a month, I started to get calls for interviews. For about a month, I pretty much had a interview 4 days out of the week. Some of the interviews I had were from the jobs where I did not meet all the requirements. I feel if my resume was good enough to get me in, it was my job to convince them I was the right person for the job.

In the end, I went to final round interviews with 3 companies, and received an offer from 2, and still with the company I accepted right now. Although I was unemployed for 3 months, it took me about 2 months to find a job cause I took the first month off.

Good luck on your job search.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
There is simply not a lot to apply to here. It's not a matter of me being picky but unless I get a job in a school, I am 'over qualified' for most jobs. I apply for every office job I see but the amount of these has diminished over the months. I just do not get many calls because I can't find many jobs...

March I applied for 5 jobs, had 2 interviews...did not get either of them. No, I do not suck. #1 was 12 hours a week, the other they got someone 'they knew' to do the job. In April there were no jobs. So far I am seeing the same thing in May. I am looking at getting certified to teach in this state so maybe I can get a job in September.

Pretty soon if I don't get a job I will be able to drive and point at all the places I have interviewed or sent blind resumes...

Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks guys. Yes its not so much the # of applications but also the fit. The whole of last month I applied to 4 jobs. So I guess I'm under applying. ?

TV Guy, congrats on ur job! And enjoy it!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yes its not so much the # of applications but also the fit. The whole of last month I applied to 4 jobs. So I guess I'm under applying. ?

Its not a such thing as UNDER APPLYING because it's more ways to get into a job than just applying. You can apply to 4 jobs the entire month but outside of that you were networking and having lunch with old co workers and coming accross people on face book and preparing for future job interviews. Even when I knew there was no interview scheduled, I would still prepare for my next job interview like it was in 2 days.

So having a productive day as a unemployed means more than just applying to jobs.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
You can also send resumes and cover letter to companies you are interested in working for. Sometimes instead of advertising an open position, a company will go through resumes that they already have on file.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:

Do you mention that you're pregnant and need a work visa on the job applications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment