U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM

26,590 posts, read 56,713,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeo View Post
I don't care and don't approve extended unemployment benefits unless college graduates, who will end up paying for this generations royal ****up, are added to unemployment benefits.

Who do you define as "this generation?"

Those in their 20's? 30's? 40's? 50's? 60's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:42 PM

14,323 posts, read 20,273,634 times
The catastrophic effects of Republican/Conservative/Klan/Neocon/Clueless policies under the village idiot continue to haunt. 61 million in this country voted to reelect Bush in '04 while the rest of the world shook their heads in disbelief. It will take time to recover, but Obama is working on it, and we're fortunate to have him doing so...rather than yet another clueless Republican.

A good time for people to get back in school, stay with relatives, move to any place where they can get work, even if they never considered moving to such a place.

I'd also like to see an end to bringing workers here from other countries through the H-1 visa program. Those who are here now should be immediately sent back and their positions filled with Americans. These people are taking jobs from qualified Americans and they add nothing to the communities that they temporarily reside in. They practice severe separatist behavior and only support their own. Quite a shame and very divisive element here. Maybe someone can post some link showing the effect of these visa workers on the unemployment rate in this country.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,111,652 times
Default This is a joke, right?

LMAO at the naivete! Do you really think they give out Medicaid like it was candy? Try and get it. You will be in for a surprise if you are not completely destitute and unemployed. Even some unemployed people make too much on their UI benefits to get it!

If so, then why do we even have health care reform on the table? We wouldn't need it if Medicaid was so easy to get as that would be the public option fior everyone whose job doesn't give health insurance benefits.

What is your next idea? Like George Bush said? Everyone without health insurance should just go to the emergency room? LMAO again.

I don't think wanting health insurance benefits is such a crime because we need it to stay healthy and heal us when we are sick. I think it is a basic human need like shelter, water and food.

People who work for a living are not beggars. They actually DO contribute to the success of their companies and they actually also helped their companies get started and remain in operation thanks to the infrastrcture our tax dollars build and the tax breaks employers get because the rest of the country (workers) are paying full taxes with no big breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It is just amazing to me how so many employed people want so many benefits....and wonder why so many jobs are outsourced.

I didn't live through the Depression, but I know there was a time when feeding your family and keeping a roof over their head was enough of a benefit. If someone does lose their health benefits, apply for Medicaid like millions of other American people.

Overview Medicaid Eligibility (http://www.cms.hhs.gov/medicaideligibility/ - broken link)

It isn't the end of the world just because life is a little difficult and everyone doesn't have the best of everything.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM
FBJ

39,606 posts, read 52,816,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Maybe you'd like them to print lies instead ? ? In all honesty, you need to stop coming off so "holier then thou" because you "finally" found a job.
I just want to see happy stories so people can feel better and have hope

Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,134,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would love to see those kinds of stories also but it's all a big IF with economy.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 PM

12,342 posts, read 15,924,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO at the naivete! Do you really think they give out Medicaid like it was candy? Try and get it. You will be in for a surprise if you are not completely destitute and unemployed. Even some unemployed people make too much on their UI benefits to get it!
I have a daughter that's been out of work for 9 months, no unemployment benefits for her. She's not entitled to medicaid at all in our state. If you're not old, disabled, or have kids, you might as well hang it up here as far as medicaid.

I went with her to a local clinic where we spent six hours waiting for a 10 minute visit, only to wind up with a referral to another clinic. Good thing she's unemployed instead of being one of the working poor that don't have insurance. I have no idea how a person could repeatedly spend that much time in a clinic for a health problem and not lose whatever minimum wage job they had.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:29 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,847,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I found just the place for you.

Disneyland Park

Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,287 times
There are jobs out there. But this isn't 2004 anymore. You will probably have to find work for less pay in something less desireable and outside of your career field. You may also have to sell the house and move if you're living in a place like Elk Hart, IN. There's work out there for everybody, they just have to go find it.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 AM

51,697 posts, read 13,764,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
There are jobs out there. But this isn't 2004 anymore. You will probably have to find work for less pay in something less desireable and outside of your career field. You may also have to sell the house and move if you're living in a place like Elk Hart, IN. There's work out there for everybody, they just have to go find it.
Yeah, right.............where? What about the "older" people who are discriminated against because their past their prime which is a crock of BS. MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL WHO ARE UNEMPLOYED. My husband just landed a 30 hour a week job ...........for how long, he isn't sure and there are no medical benefits at this time. I haven't been to a doctor in 3 years and have some medical issues and don't qualify for medicaid so I know what some of the other posters are talking about.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Yeah, right.............where? What about the "older" people who are discriminated against because their past their prime which is a crock of BS. MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL WHO ARE UNEMPLOYED. My husband just landed a 30 hour a week job ...........for how long, he isn't sure and there are no medical benefits at this time. I haven't been to a doctor in 3 years and have some medical issues and don't qualify for medicaid so I know what some of the other posters are talking about.
Like I said, you're husband just landed a job. Ideal? No. But would you rather live in a shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or