U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,416,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why are people on this board so motivated to post negative news? I never see any "Uplifting stories" posted just sad sh*t
My guess is that many of them are unemployed or underemployed and very angry, and they feel that the only way their situation in life will improve is with an improved economy, which means that the smug employed people need to support political and economic change. By posting the bad news and trying to publicize it they are helping to fight for that change.

The American populace is so steeped in no-think free market dogmatism that our nation is probably going to have to hit rock bottom first as a result of free trade and free market policies before people will be ready to support real change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM

3,119 posts, read 7,416,864 times
[quote=GloryB;10516177]It is just amazing to me how so many employed people want so many benefits....and wonder why so many jobs are outsourced.[/qutoe]

It has nothing to do with unemployment benefits. The outsourcing is based on the fact that relatively impoverished Chinese and Indian labor is willing to work for a fraction of the American cost. The Chinese government doesn't have as many labor and environmental regulations, either, which is arguably part of a worker's compensation in one way or another. The foreign outsourcing has almost nothing to do with unemployment benefits. Ironically the costs of unemployment insurance would probably decrease if we had less offshoring and less offshoring-created unemployment.

Quote:
It isn't the end of the world just because life is a little difficult and everyone doesn't have the best of everything.
You do realize that soon we will be living in a country where the top 10% have everything and the bottom 50% has nothing. Yeah, it's time for people to start whining. Our nation's economy is very broken.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,139,914 times
[quote=Bhaalspawn;15073581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
You do realize that soon we will be living in a country where the top 10% have everything and the bottom 50% has nothing. Yeah, it's time for people to start whining. Our nation's economy is very broken.
Indeed.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,443,826 times
Yes, it is tough out there for many people. I won't argue with that. I'm like many others still looking to land a job where I can be out of the house and bring in the money. But I'm wondering the same thing: why are there not some positive news stories? Why do we have to post all the negative stuff here? I don't even really watch the news anymore because it is just so much bad stuff there. They say ignorance is bliss. Very true because what you don't know has no power to hurt you.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
FBJ

39,606 posts, read 52,885,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Yes, it is tough out there for many people. I won't argue with that. I'm like many others still looking to land a job where I can be out of the house and bring in the money. But I'm wondering the same thing: why are there not some positive news stories? Why do we have to post all the negative stuff here? I don't even really watch the news anymore because it is just so much bad stuff there. They say ignorance is bliss. Very true because what you don't know has no power to hurt you.
And you know when it comes to news the NEGATIVE NEWS is what grabs attention not the positive ones

Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,443,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And you know when it comes to news the NEGATIVE NEWS is what grabs attention not the positive ones
Very true! that's why I don't even want to know how bad they say it is out there. The good things are out there if someone will take the time to look for them. The question I always ask myself is: "What could possibly go right?"

Last edited by AliveandWell; 08-09-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: capitalization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or