U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,608,579 times

Advertisements

For those of you unemployed, looking and applying for jobs doesn't take 100% of my time... What do you do in all that spare time?

For me, I enjoy sleep / waking up later, but I don't want to waste away my time in sleep. Then I picked up a new hobby - COOKING! I'm baking my own brownies, cookies, and pies, and trying some cooking like making fancy hamburgers... Then I workout on road bikes and bmx bikes. I waste time away on web forums...

But I should be brushing up on my job skills reading technical books! And another hobby I'm picking up is web design - this can be profitable!

So what do you do in your unemployed spare time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 PM

32,792 posts, read 13,669,489 times
I always thought I could do all these things, but ended up stressing about being unemployed instead!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
FBJ

39,606 posts, read 52,796,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
For those of you unemployed, looking and applying for jobs doesn't take 100% of my time... What do you do in all that spare time?

For me, I enjoy sleep / waking up later, but I don't want to waste away my time in sleep. Then I picked up a new hobby - COOKING! I'm baking my own brownies, cookies, and pies, and trying some cooking like making fancy hamburgers... Then I workout on road bikes and bmx bikes. I waste time away on web forums...

But I should be brushing up on my job skills reading technical books! And another hobby I'm picking up is web design - this can be profitable!

You shouldn't be waking up too late if you are unemployed. Maybe 10am at the latest

Old 09-06-2009, 08:25 PM

6,369 posts, read 19,986,528 times
If i end up working at kmart brushing up on those skills isn't going to do me much good. With the way the market is right now...jobs and financials...I'm not sure that it is a good idea. The only jobs I'm seeing are for $12/hr or less. I'm not going to spend more of the less money I have now to be a better employee for that kind of pay. I used to make more than $25/hr so $12 is less than 50% of my former salary.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM

16,082 posts, read 25,215,927 times
I'm unemployed by choice and fortunately am not soley dependent
on my own income, but that can work against you as well.

If you've never been unemployed in the past, its nice to have time to
do things you normally don't, although I'm sure there are plenty here
that wouldn't agree, enjoy it for a while.

Last edited by virgode; 09-06-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,608,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You shouldn't be waking up too late if you are unemployed. Maybe 10am at the latest
I usually wake up by 9am. But there have been a few lazy days where I dozed to 11am.

I'm very lucky to get $806 monthly SSDI FREE! So I don't have to work a PT Kmart job and I got Medicare A & B too!

And I'm very lucky to have my mom, dad, and aunt to pay the house bills. But without a job, I feel like a loser unworthy of a woman. That's why I seek happiness in my $32,800 collection of 10 bmx, 2 mtn, and 7 road bikes!

I really want to get on with life and a good job. Being an SSDI loafer sucks!

I look forward to cooking and baking as I discover new recipes...

Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 AM

5,507 posts, read 15,974,851 times
Mostly I take care of our 2 children. We have a 4 yr old boy and a 4 month old boy, so they take up 90% of my time from 6am till 6pm when my wife gets home from her full time job. I also do the housework and cook dinner. After dinner, my wife takes the kids and I study, as I've been enrolling in classes to keep up my job skills and learn new ones. I also organized a charity fundraiser for a local business, and I served as a board member for a local non-profit agency. I usually have about 1 hour per day (when kids take their nap) to relax. . . . . so shhhh. . . . don't call me at that time. . . . it'll wake the kids.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM

962 posts, read 2,389,268 times
GREAT TOPIC

Admittedly, the first few weeks, I really just did nothing. I had anger built up. I was tired because I had been working non-stop for a few years without a real vacation. I really had to unwind and clear my mind.

After my "vacay" was over, I have really be focusing on self-improvement and
doing all the things I said I would do "if I had the time". Well, I have all the time in the world and no time is better than now.
  • Exercise: I am putting in about 5.5 hours a week to some type of aerobic activity. I am going to start spending maybe half of that time doing some routines outside to enjoy some fresh air while the whether still permits.
  • Cooking: I eat 95% of my meals at home and it has been a joy to learn how to cook. I will start to learn to bake soon, too. It feels so good having control over my diet and knowing I am eating healthy choices.
  • Training: I am working toward completing a certificate, getting a certification in another area, and also taking some other training classes to build my skill set. I really want to take control and responsibility for "what I can do."
  • Volunteering: This is something I knew I needed to improve over the years and I hope to join an/a few organization(s) by years end.
  • Networking/Socializing: I just signed up for a few free workshops focused on a skill set in my field. I want to continue attended functions as such to keep me "up to date" on whats going on and to find ways to mingle with others with similar goals in mind.

In the midst of all this chaos, now is really the time to put my money/actions where my talk/thoughts have been. I am humbled by this experience and realize that I am doing better than many who find themselves in this place. I really want to make the best of it and in order to do so...planning and actions will be my foundation to progress.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Great topic sir!!

Well, in my spare time, I am studying programming at the local community college. I am discovering that Java is a fun programming language to learn. I also view self-help videos and I have also been studying the human mind and spirituality which has helped me tremendously. I also dedicate at least 4 times per week to exercise which is wonderful for me both mentally and physically. And although I never would have said this before, the CA dry heat is not so bad after all

Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,333,919 times
When I'm not looking for work or trying to figure out a way to enhance my skills for free I;

Walk around my place and take photographs with my DSLR (already owned it pre-UI) and tinker with the photos in Adobe Elements learning new graphics and photo skills

Play with and train my dogs

That's about it, I try not to drive unless I absolutly have to due to gas and two of my tires are not in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or