Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
This recession is going to level the playing field between us American workers and foreign cheap labor really fast.
I believe that's what it's all about. They told us when they were starting up NAFTA talks that Americans were going to compete with the third world. So they are still negotiating more jobs out of the country and planning to bring in many more immigrants.

They count on American spending and spending like there's no tomorrow because that's all we're good for as far as the globalists are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
55, my job as a pressman is over..company got resourced out,,when unemployment runs out im gonna die,,goodbye to the pressmen who used to print newspapers,my hand is reaching(not for$)but direction or life perserver

Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
my mother is employed...but searching for a better paying position in a different location. the calls for interviews have been non existent. she's been trying for like two years...a few false leads months and months ago but nothing.

._.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
my mother is employed...but searching for a better paying position in a different location. the calls for interviews have been non existent. she's been trying for like two years...a few false leads months and months ago but nothing.

._.
Her problem is probably the relocation part. I don't even consider resumes from people who aren't living locally except in very specific situations where I'm actually advertising in out of state papers to fill certain jobs where I want to recruit people leaving the military.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
In our new GOP Utopia you should have saved enough by 55 to retire, otherwise you are no longer Economically Viable

Falling Down economically viable - YouTube

Remember Rick Perry believes Social Security and Medicare are UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
There is definitely age discrimination, not just to the 50+ crowd buy 30+ in many businesses. If you go to any retail business such as clothes, Staples, Lowes, The Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. most of the employees are under 25. What do 18 and 19 year old kids working in The Home Depot know about construction and how things work or what you need for a project?? They've never worked in construction before and this is their first job.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Default 58 yrs. young and looking for work

I have been out of work for 2-1/2 yrs. I am 58 yrs. young and have been applying for jobs not only in my career field (legal assistant) but outside in other areas as well. In this market, you have to be open to other opportunities. As for the us older people not looking for work, that is a lie. There are a lot of us out there job hunting and being discriminated against because of our age and experience. I've had job interview after job interview and am constantly passed over for someone younger and will accept less pay. Because of all of this, I have lost my apartment and half of my belongings due to no more financial resources to pay the rent and the bills. I am being pushed out because of age and experience. As for me, luckily, one of my neighbors has taken me in and I applied at the local grocery store and will be working soon in their deli department. I will be taking a cut in pay by half of what I used to make as a legal assistant. You have to do what you have to do in order to survive in this day and age and that includes taking a pay cut and finding work outside of your usual career. How does all of this make me feel? Like crap!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM

475 posts, read 648,600 times
I am 55 and have been out of work for almost 3 years (35 months on the 24th). I did go back to school and finish up and get my BA from June-09 thru July-11 so that kept me occupied and gave me a daily purpose. But now almost three months since I graduated I have had 6 interviews and nada! However I will not give up, today I received a call for an interview on Tuesday

It is hard not to get discouraged as sometimes I wonder when/if I will work again. I have done some financial consulting/volunteering but that only fills up about 5 hours a week at best. I have never seen the economy in such dire circumstances. My wife currently has a great job that she has been at for 9 years but now that might be in jeopardy ! Just gotta have Faith, keep doing what you can (job search/attitude) and pray to God that He will open up some doors or even a window

Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In our new GOP Utopia you should have saved enough by 55 to retire, otherwise you are no longer Economically Viable

Falling Down economically viable - YouTube

Remember Rick Perry believes Social Security and Medicare are UNCONSTITUTIONAL
Jesus is it just me or do Liberals not know when the time and place is right for a political debate? Its called Politics and other Controversies. just a though there and blaming the GOP for all of America's problems is like blaming your parents for you flunking out of school. Try again.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Jesus is it just me or do Liberals not know when the time and place is right for a political debate? Its called Politics and other Controversies. just a though there and blaming the GOP for all of America's problems is like blaming your parents for you flunking out of school. Try again.
Which is where your post should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment