Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm over 55 (60 yrs old) and having a heck of a time finding a job as much as my wife (61) is having finding a permanent one....she is on a Contract job right now that just keeps extending. Like others on this Forum, both of us have sent out (thru e-mails/websites) lots of resume's.
Employers and agencies can't tell our ages from our resumes, BUT when questions are asked (verbally or written), it comes out and then that "word" (you know it) shows up. Wife has a major college degree. I have college course-work, but no degree. We both have plenty of experience in our career fields, but..........?????? We have also experience pretty much the same thing with interviewers........much younger than us and showing very little interest.
So, with this being said, are people our age just plainly "SOL" when it comes to getting a job in today's job market?
Your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I think it depends on three things.

1. The corporate culture of the company. The last company I worked for preferred middle aged workers for many jobs due to our corporate culture.

2. The best qualified person to do the job. Just because someone has more experience, it doesn't mean that they are the most qualified.

3. The overeall "fit" of the applicant. Are they set in their ways? Willing to learn new concepts and technology? Does their overall personality work with the culture in that company? Do they have the right personality traits for the job? (Are they too shy to be in sales or are they too "bossy" to work as part of a team, etc.)

Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
not so. do not lay down and quit. i was 45 in 1993. no jobs --failed marriage 2 very sick parents to care for. i was temping everybody was 25 years old. its was awful. i got thru it kicking biting and fighting but i made it to retirement.
broaden your search consider employers that you would not consider b4.
some like older workers, welfare is one.
good luck. you will develop and see you are stronger than you thought from this experience. its the omaha beach that nobody hears about.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I'm 'only 43' and have 2 degrees and NO ONE has called me since June for any interviews. I apply when I can find jobs I can do. I will not apply 'for anything' as that is stupid and a time waster for everyone.

It's the times. Read these boards and see how many people of ALL ages are unemployed.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's the times. Read these boards and see how many people of ALL ages are unemployed.
You hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Funny thing is........I remember when we lived in Colorado and got interested in a church group of folks our age and up. While talking to the Leader on the phone, I asked him when the group held meetings. He told me, "Friday mornings at Denny's........." I told him that we couldn't make the meeting because both of us worked full-time jobs. He was somewhat amazed.......that we were still working at age 55! But, from what we have seen while living in Colorado, North Carolina and now in Florida, many-many people do stop working at age 55 (company retirement) or retire as soon as they can get SSI.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Yea, the "Search" has been pretty bad for both of us! I've had a hip replacement and a rotator cuff surgery so I have to be picky on what I look for. My biggest downfall in my career is NOT having a college degree or certification! Most jobs I see today, in my experience/career, ask for both a Bachelors Degree and Certification......things we just can't afford for me to get now!
As far as this Forum goes, I really don't see any (or many) folks in their 50's-60's looking for jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm 'only 43' and have 2 degrees and NO ONE has called me since June for any interviews. I apply when I can find jobs I can do. I will not apply 'for anything' as that is stupid and a time waster for everyone.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Everyone asks for a bachelors. Not because they need it for the position, but because everyone has one and they can ask for it and get a degreed candidate. That is what you are competing with. Too many bachelors degrees.
Also, I heard one smart comment: It is not about age, but about energy level. You must excude energy. Dress younger and stylish, (no polyester double knit) dye your hair (men too) get a new hairstyle, and make sure your skills are up to date. Microsoft has free tutorials of their most recent software on their website BTW.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Also, I heard one smart comment: It is not about age, but about energy level. You must excude energy. Dress younger and stylish, (no polyester double knit) dye your hair (men too) get a new hairstyle, and make sure your skills are up to date. Microsoft has free tutorials of their most recent software on their website BTW.
I agree with this so much! People who look old and tired aren't going to get hired. A bit of dye (a few shades lighter than your natural color!!), a chic haircut for women, and get rid of the Brill Cream for men. Get some stylish clothing--if it's more than five years old, it's probably not what you want to wear to an interview. If you are overweight, get on a diet and excercise program--dropping a few pounds and some daily excercise will give you a lot of energy.

I can remember many years ago, my boss was looking for a secretary, and most of the women he was interviewing were in their 40's and 50's. he never came out and said it, but the ones who looked "old" didn't stand a chance. The woman he hired was in her late 50's, but she was trim, stylish, and energetic. She actually appeared to be much more energetic than some of the frumpy women 10-15 years younger.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree with this so much! People who look old and tired aren't going to get hired. A bit of dye (a few shades lighter than your natural color!!), a chic haircut for women, and get rid of the Brill Cream for men. Get some stylish clothing--if it's more than five years old, it's probably not what you want to wear to an interview. If you are overweight, get on a diet and excercise program--dropping a few pounds and some daily excercise will give you a lot of energy.

I can remember many years ago, my boss was looking for a secretary, and most of the women he was interviewing were in their 40's and 50's. he never came out and said it, but the ones who looked "old" didn't stand a chance. The woman he hired was in her late 50's, but she was trim, stylish, and energetic. She actually appeared to be much more energetic than some of the frumpy women 10-15 years younger.
Amen! Be perky, alert, engaged, and interested. Leave the interviewer with the perception you are very active and healthy. If they ask about activities/interests have some you would share with younger people that are active like sports/physical fitness. Bridge and quilting do nothing but make you sound old and boring. It's all about perception.

And it's awful out there right now. There are plenty of 20 and 30 somethings unemployed too. It's not just 'older' folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment