U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,707,035 times

Advertisements

15 Years Ago

I posted this in another thread but since so many people are somehow convinced that Obama changed the methods for calculating unemployment I felt the need to make a new thread. I'm not for or against Obama, but this is just silly.

This stuff isn't hard to find. Obama's posse is "fudging the numbers" in the same method that has been going on for the past 15 years. Not Bush, not Obama, but Clinton's administration changed the rules.

In 1994 the BLS, Bureau of Labor Statistics U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, changed the way unemployment was calculated. Methods were changed, renamed, and removed.

Current Population Survey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you believe Obama's administration is actively changing Wiki articles in between putting chemicals in your water supply here is an article located on the BLS website. The same article can be found as a citation on the wiki, but I'm sure the people that truly need to get their facts straight will quit reading after the first paragraph.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1995/10/art3full.pdf
Rate this post positively

Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 25,966 times
J Arp

I watch a video clip from Fox that claims the BLS has changed the calculation methodology as of Jan 2012... and I have search BLS and other sites and can't confirm this... or disprove it.... and I cam across your post "15 Years Ago" posted on 9.20.2009.... and figure you probably keep tabs on this or at least have a reliable source....

Here it the link to the Video clip Dick Morris Conspiracy Theory: Economic Data Are "Completely Phony" And "Propaganda," Declares "There Ain't No Recovery" | Media Matters for America

Thanks... Any clarification will be appreciated...
Greg

Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM

23,040 posts, read 48,982,332 times
BLS is calculating the numbers of unemployed the way it always has for the past 18 years. There is no new methodology being employed.

Everyone knows the huge numbers of unemployed/underemployed no longer collecting unemployment are not counted and never have been. Nothing new there at all. Just an unfactual, misleading statement meant to incite.

If you're looking to begin a discussion on the government, suggest you post this in P&C.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM

12,401 posts, read 34,557,219 times
Question asked and answered. Thread closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or