U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM

77 posts, read 191,600 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job about a year ago during a mass lay off and have not been able to find a new one. I am collecting unemployment in NJ. I tried to claim my benefits today, as usual, on the internet and it informed me that I cannot file online and need to file by telephone. So I filed by telephone as usual and at the end of the filing process the robot voice informs me that "Your claim is not payable at this time. Credit will be issued for the weeks you just filed". I am not sure if this has anythign to do with it but last week was my 1-year mark an thats the week that I was trying to claim for when I got this message. I know I still have some money left in benefits because they gave me some extension...
I am trying to get answers but cannot get through to any of the #s - I guess too many callers.
Does this mean they stopped my benefits dead in the tracks like that? Without even informing me prior to this???
I don't know what to do.. I am so worried right now.. =/

Last edited by marycotter5678; 10-07-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM

336 posts, read 1,251,890 times
Since you hit the one year mark you must "re-open" your claim. You need to call or go to the unemployment office and tell them you are at the one year mark of collecting unemployment. This only takes a few minutes, but you could be on the phone for up to one hour. Make sure they understand that you have been collecting unemployment for one year so they DO NOT open a new claim on you. More information on this can be found in the blue book you recieved when you 1st went on unemployment.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM

77 posts, read 191,600 times
Thank you for replying and offering some peace of mind. I am attempting to call again the re-employment center - so far 30 minutes on hold. Hopefully I get to speak with someone.
The job seeking process has been so humiliating =/ ...

Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,595,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycotter5678 View Post
I was laid off from my job about a year ago during a mass lay off and have not been able to find a new one. I am collecting unemployment in NJ. I tried to claim my benefits today, as usual, on the internet and it informed me that I cannot file online and need to file by telephone. So I filed by telephone as usual and at the end of the filing process the robot voice informs me that "Your claim is not payable at this time. Credit will be issued for the weeks you just filed". I am not sure if this has anythign to do with it but last week was my 1-year mark an thats the week that I was trying to claim for when I got this message. I know I still have some money left in benefits because they gave me some extension...
I am trying to get answers but cannot get through to any of the #s - I guess too many callers.
Does this mean they stopped my benefits dead in the tracks like that? Without even informing me prior to this???
I don't know what to do.. I am so worried right now.. =/
At the one-year anniversary of your original claim, it is necessary to reinstate your claim. It is routine -- but until you do it, you will receive credit for your weeks of unemployment but no check.

To reinstate, you have to call your local unemployment number -- and you must speak to a person. You cannot do this automatically through the system by telephone or on line.

Explain to the rep that you are at the one-year anniversary of your claim, and you need to reinstate that claim. The rep can make the necessary adjustment in the system -- which is effective immediately -- and you will be sent the payments you have accumulated. BTW, in the event that you can't get through on your phone, the phones at your local unemployment office have direct lines to the reps. It might be worthwhile to stop by the office and use one of their direct lines -- you may still be put on hold, but the wait could be much shorter.

When you do call, be certain that the rep understands that you are reinstating you original claim -- and that you are not opening a new claim. Sometimes the reps open a new claim in one's name by mistake -- and that will have to be adjusted further down the road. It can also wreak havoc on your eligibility for extensions.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 40,460 times
All my benefits just ended and now ive come to the extended benefits. I have one problem, My Honda got broken into ( again ) and my briefcase and laptop was stolen. I have a years worth of job records in there and dont know what to do. I can remember some of them but not a years worth.

what should i do?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,595,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiguy123 View Post
All my benefits just ended and now ive come to the extended benefits. I have one problem, My Honda got broken into ( again ) and my briefcase and laptop was stolen. I have a years worth of job records in there and dont know what to do. I can remember some of them but not a years worth.

what should i do?
Every state's requirements are different. Your screen name is "miamiguy" and you have posted this in the New Jersey forum. You should contact the local Unemployment office wherever you are claiming benefits.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 40,460 times
ooops, sorry

Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 18,931 times
Default Nj unemployment reinstate (1 year recertification)

Reinstate NJ Unemployment (at 1 year):

As I found out on Monday, after collecting NJ unemployment for 1 year, payments STOP, and you must call one of the three NJ Re-employment Centers, numbers follow to recertify and reinstate your claim:
732-761-2029
201-601-4100
856-507-2340

Well, I have been on the phone for 3 full days now, calling all three numbers, to no avail!!! In three days, I have not been able to get through to any of the Re-employment Centers due to tremendous call volumes.
I could be out pounding the pavement looking for a job, but no, I am stuck at home trying to get through to reinstate my claim!!!! HELP!!!! I even called Governor Jon Corzine's office in Trenton to get help with this issue. His office number is 609-292-6000. I guess I'm not the only one having a problem claiming my last two weeks payment. I am in IT, and my suggestion is to have Mr. Corzine not only continue to staff his Unemployment office with more folks, but to have his IT folks come up with a better solution for people like myself you just require "reinstating/recertification" of an active claim, for those people that are collecting for 1 year now. I have another acquaintance in NJ who has been calling for over 1 week now for the same issue.
A quick fix in the computer system to stagger the "recert/reinstate" claims alphabetically would at least take some of the volume away!!!!! I suggest:
A-E 1 year reinstate
F-J 13 months reinstate
K-O 14 months reinstate
P-T 15 months reinstate
U-Z 16 months reinstate

PLEASE HELP US, JON CORZINE!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 34,649 times
First off, thank you to everybody who posts such valuable information on this forum. I have been able to follow all of the news much more closely due to your work. Thank you.

And now to the self-serving part...I went to certify online last week as usual, but got the same one-year message that I needed to call in. I did so, but was told that six months of my wage information was missing (my last job before filing) and that someone would contact me in a week and a half to determine whether I needed to open a new claim or be put back on extensions. How would these wages disappear from their system? I have a W-2 to fax to them to prove that I worked those months, but am still worried about it, because I like to worry. Has anyone heard of this happening? I'm terrified because if they file a new claim I assume that I wouldn't be getting any benefits for all of November (the last date I received for was w/e 10/31). I have a couple of interviews in the next week and am hopeful, but even if I get one of the jobs, I will be behind the eight-ball because of this. Any information would be appreciated!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,700,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH477 View Post
First off, thank you to everybody who posts such valuable information on this forum. I have been able to follow all of the news much more closely due to your work. Thank you.

And now to the self-serving part...I went to certify online last week as usual, but got the same one-year message that I needed to call in. I did so, but was told that six months of my wage information was missing (my last job before filing) and that someone would contact me in a week and a half to determine whether I needed to open a new claim or be put back on extensions. How would these wages disappear from their system? I have a W-2 to fax to them to prove that I worked those months, but am still worried about it, because I like to worry. Has anyone heard of this happening? I'm terrified because if they file a new claim I assume that I wouldn't be getting any benefits for all of November (the last date I received for was w/e 10/31). I have a couple of interviews in the next week and am hopeful, but even if I get one of the jobs, I will be behind the eight-ball because of this. Any information would be appreciated!
On another claim I had awhile back , a part or quarter of my wages were missing. When you get your original determination, wages should be checked. I took my W2'S down to UE and she entered it into the system. Your WBR is determined by your wages and time worked. I received a new determination and was able to collect full 26 wks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment