U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:15 PM
 
10 posts, read 24,119 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I have tried posting this already, but was in the wrong area.

I am currently living in TX, after moving from MO where I was receiving unemployment. I was able to still claim until I got a full time job a about 2 months ago. However, I found out last weekend that i have to move out of where I am living by the 28th. I have tried finding an apartment etc. but with such a short time on the job and not being able to afford to get into anything I have no choice. I have family back in MO who have offered a place to live for my family and I. So my question is, will quitting my current job and moving back affect whether or not I can start reclaiming my unemployment benefits? It's either that or be homeless with a job. Really worried here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
Reputation: 36125
If you quit a job unless there is a valid reason like your being harassed or the workplace is environmentally unsafe(and you have to have proof of these situations) than you cannot quit and file for unemployment.

Sorry for your situation but unemployment won't consider that a valid reason. You do have family at least that is willing to help you. Hopefully you can find something in MO.

And of course nowadays everything is tracked, your SS number will you show you were working in Texas.

Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
 
4,805 posts, read 21,102,194 times
Reputation: 4995
Yes, unless the employer is creating the conditions that are making it impossible to continue working, you won't be eligible for unemployment.

If it were me, I'd do anything to keep the job. You've got two full weeks to find a place to live. It doesn't have to be nice or permanent. Quitting is only going to make it harder to find another job. An employer is going to assume you are unable to keep your personal life from interfering with your job and will have to quit on them too.

Call 2-1-1 to reach Texas' Health and Human Services, who can help you. They can help you with emergency rent assistance. They can also help you get into a shelter or 'transitional housing' (for people re-entering the workforce needing temporary housing until they are fully on their feet and independent). They can also help you apply for housing vouchers if you qualify with your income.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
 
10 posts, read 24,119 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you both for your answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,496 posts, read 21,804,889 times
Reputation: 8694
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfjr View Post
I have tried posting this already, but was in the wrong area.

I am currently living in TX, after moving from MO where I was receiving unemployment. I was able to still claim until I got a full time job a about 2 months ago. However, I found out last weekend that i have to move out of where I am living by the 28th. I have tried finding an apartment etc. but with such a short time on the job and not being able to afford to get into anything I have no choice. I have family back in MO who have offered a place to live for my family and I. So my question is, will quitting my current job and moving back affect whether or not I can start reclaiming my unemployment benefits? It's either that or be homeless with a job. Really worried here.
, when you get back, file to reopen your claim. Tell them that family problems caused you to have to return. You have a very good chance of reopening the claim against your original employer, which was already approved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,154,947 times
Reputation: 22320
I would pick working over not working even with relatives to live off. When it comes down to it, you can rent a cheap room, every town has a cheap hotel or motel of some kind, or rent a run down mobile home - or buy one, live out of a car even at a campground where you can at least shower until you get something. Even one of the homeless shelters if you had to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Texas
475 posts, read 1,508,103 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
, when you get back, file to reopen your claim. Tell them that family problems caused you to have to return. You have a very good chance of reopening the claim against your original employer, which was already approved.
I don't think quiting your job for lack of housing going to get unemployment benefits back in MO. Or were you suggesting lying about something else it to get the benefits?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,496 posts, read 21,804,889 times
Reputation: 8694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
I don't think quiting your job for lack of housing going to get unemployment benefits back in MO. Or were you suggesting lying about something else it to get the benefits?
NO He had a valid claim in Missouri, he went to work but could not maintain living there. That's not dishonest. He is NOT claiming against the employer in Texas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
NO He had a valid claim in Missouri, he went to work but could not maintain living there. That's not dishonest. He is NOT claiming against the employer in Texas
You can't reopen a claim just because you returned to your home state after quitting a job and decide to start collecting again. I agree with the poster who said try to stay in TX if they can and work.

But moving back to MO from TX and telling them I quit a job(they will see the SS number and ask why you left) isn't going to fly.

If OP had gotten laid off in TX they would qualify for TX unemployment and get that while living in MO.

But not having a place to stay isn't a valid reason to quit in the eyes of unemployment and reopen a claim.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,203,056 times
Reputation: 36125
You could try and reopen the claim( it can't hurt to try). But I think the SS number is going to come up and show you were employed in TX and left on your own.

It is worth a shot, all they can say is no.

I read my last post, and I thought you should at least try.

Again good luck in whatever you end up doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top