U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,607 times

Advertisements

I was laid off for 2 weeks last December and filed a claim. I went back to work in January at the same employer.

In April I was permanently laid off. I re-opened my claim and received the rest of my regular 26-week benefits until September, when I applied for and began receiving my Tier 1 benefits.

My Benefit Year Ends December 19.

My regular call in would be Monday December 21. Do I call in that day to receive weeks ending Dec 12 and 19, and then immediately file a brand new claim?

If so, will I be providing more information such as my previous employers number and wages for some time period?

Thanks in advance. They provide so little information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,527,883 times
Yes you will need to file a new claim.

Based on how much you worked last year I would bet you get a brand new claim based off what you made last year to a point. They also go back 18 months as well. I just did it in Michigan as well and I just talked to them on the phone about it last week as well and when it asks you for the gross pay, They are asking you what you made after you were laid off not the full 18 months amount of the 18 months unless you were not laid off in those 18 months. It was very confusing to me.

I just ran into this as well, I did my claim early in the morning of my call in day and then it would not let me certify. If I were you I would certify then do the new claim. I had to call to get them to correct this issue as I was not approved for a new benefit year and stayed on the old one.

Yes you go through the whole process again, Just remember the gross pay thing I mentioned higher up.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,607 times
Since I was laid off twice, would the earnings be for Jan-April this year? That would be what I made after the initial filing of the claim.

It seems like they did their own calculations when I filed the original claim based on what the employer had already reported.

I have a feeling a headache is coming, just in time for X-mas.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,527,883 times
I'm guessing on this one but I think I would put in whatever I grossed in the last 12 months after being laid off. It should be more cut and dry then they make it. Some of it is hard to understand and forget reading their dam PDF stuff that stuff makes almost no sense to me at all.

Yea my first Benefit year didn't have my earnings in but this year they did have my reported earnings in there from the 18 months back.

Oh believe me I know, Ha. I was kind of hoping I would get a new year but don't know about all that either as I see everyone around here claiming you don't get the extensions on a new year. I think that will change though when congress gets off its butt and starts approving the extensions further out. Anyways I didn't get a new year because I didnt work at all last year. I bet you will based on you working last year. The big question for you will it be for the full amount or will they lower it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment