Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
 
3,646 posts, read 5,437,956 times
Reputation: 5833

Advertisements

Good afternoon, everyone. I have a request for all of our posters this week. Can we please try to put a positive spin on the posts and try to refrain from negative remarks toward fellow posters? You may not agree with their job search methods, but just try to practice a little restraint one week. The sad fact is that until employers start rehiring in significant numbers we will continue to have high levels of unemployment. It will be interesting to see the January 5 numbers. In the meantime, let's practice a little compassion towards our fellow human beings. It will make a wonderful Christmas present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
 
303 posts, read 565,117 times
Reputation: 163
I could not agree with you more. Some of the comments I've seen here are downright mean and hurtful. People who are unemployed are hurting and don't need more misery heaped upon them.

Thanks for posting this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
475 posts, read 1,648,048 times
Reputation: 251
Ok, I'll try, unemployment is down this month. enjoy the holidays, don't worry until next year about getting a job. Obama is going to stimulate jobs with the money he got back from the banks. Merry Christmas to all and specially to Ohgreat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY
145 posts, read 578,568 times
Reputation: 202
I agree. I am surprised this thread did not generate more positive responses. Makes me think most cannot control their unsupportive comments to and about the unemployed.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays (whichever applies) to all. This is a time to reflect on peace and goodwill. We all have times in our life where the light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train! It's how we navigate through the tunnel to get to the real light that is the issue. Some can do it alone, some need support.

This holiday more than any other in recent years, we need to count and focus on our blessings....job or no job we all have people/circumstances in our life to be thankful for. No matter how bad your situation is, there is someone who has it worse. For those who are not struggling through this season, refraining from passing judgment is a wonderful gift that costs nothing but will generate lots of appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 22,127,423 times
Reputation: 4773
Merry Christmas to all those who are unemployed. In 2010 let's hope things get better for those who deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
 
303 posts, read 565,117 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Merry Christmas to all those who are unemployed. In 2010 let's hope things get better for those who deserve it.
Yes. Let's hope this is the last Christmas we are in this boat. Let's hope 2010 brings us all of bit of hope and good fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 2,125,952 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Good afternoon, everyone. I have a request for all of our posters this week. Can we please try to put a positive spin on the posts and try to refrain from negative remarks toward fellow posters? You may not agree with their job search methods, but just try to practice a little restraint one week. The sad fact is that until employers start rehiring in significant numbers we will continue to have high levels of unemployment. It will be interesting to see the January 5 numbers. In the meantime, let's practice a little compassion towards our fellow human beings. It will make a wonderful Christmas present.
Great idea!

For those who are fortunate enough to have a job, I would also suggest ways to take this a step further....

(1) If someone you know is looking for work, take the time and effort to do what you can to "network" on their behalf over the next couple of weeks while you are catching up with family and friends, in person or on phone and email.

(2) if you have some spare cash, purchase some gift vouchers from the supermarket and put them into a card and anonymously slip them through the door of a friend or neighbour who you know is looking for work and struggling financially.

(3) Grass-roots animal rescue groups are really hurting this year. If you are an animal love and can afford to, dig deep and send them a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 PM
 
3,646 posts, read 5,437,956 times
Reputation: 5833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Great idea!

For those who are fortunate enough to have a job, I would also suggest ways to take this a step further....

(1) If someone you know is looking for work, take the time and effort to do what you can to "network" on their behalf over the next couple of weeks while you are catching up with family and friends, in person or on phone and email.

(2) if you have some spare cash, purchase some gift vouchers from the supermarket and put them into a card and anonymously slip them through the door of a friend or neighbour who you know is looking for work and struggling financially.

(3) Grass-roots animal rescue groups are really hurting this year. If you are an animal love and can afford to, dig deep and send them a check.
First rate suggestions from a classy poster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top