U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 74,481 times

Advertisements

I quit a new job offer, which was a stretch a stretch as far as skills, hours, pay and commute was concerned. I am on unemployment for past 8 months.

I got desperate so I took a chance and accepted this offer which was :
1. below my past pay
2. much longer commute
3. much aggressive hours - for a mom of two
4. slightly beyond my skills
On first day, I realized that this job is not for me, due to most of the same reasons above - mostly #3.

I think they want to pay me for a few hours I was there.
Would I lose my unemployment in NJ?
Do I have to report it? Technically speaking, I didn't work at all - just spent time filling forms.
Will I lose subsidized COBRA?

Please help
Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 04:53 PM

132 posts, read 474,257 times
Interesting question. I think you can work a certain amount of hours and still collect.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,609,281 times
I was on unemployment and took a 2 day training job / job interview where I was paid $65 / hr. They still continued my TX unemployment benefits after this 2 day job.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 PM

475 posts, read 1,508,103 times
FYI, They have to pay you, they have no choice. As far as the other stuff I have no idea. You are going to get a 2010 w-4 for the earnings, so report it.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,339,921 times
Dick,
What came over you? You actually gave useful info for the first time ever.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM

475 posts, read 1,508,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Dick,
What came over you? You actually gave useful info for the first time ever.
New years resolution. I've joined an internet AA group!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,339,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
New years resolution. I've joined an internet AA group!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,173,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollersun View Post
I quit a new job offer, which was a stretch a stretch as far as skills, hours, pay and commute was concerned. I am on unemployment for past 8 months.

I got desperate so I took a chance and accepted this offer which was :
1. below my past pay
2. much longer commute
3. much aggressive hours - for a mom of two
4. slightly beyond my skills
On first day, I realized that this job is not for me, due to most of the same reasons above - mostly #3.

I think they want to pay me for a few hours I was there.
Would I lose my unemployment in NJ?
Do I have to report it? Technically speaking, I didn't work at all - just spent time filling forms.
Will I lose subsidized COBRA?

Please help
Thanks
dick1973 is right -- the new employer is obligated to pay you for the time you "worked". Since these were hours you put in after you were hired, it doesn't matter what they had you doing during those hours.

You do have to report it to UI, because your former employer has to report you to federal and state tax agencies as a new hire -- however brief your tenure. Eventually that job will be attached to your record and resurface when UI does a search of your former employers in the future. Then they can nail you for not reporting it when you certified your unemployment as usual every two weeks.

The question UI will consider is not how much you earned -- but rather the fact that you quit (i.e., you refused work that was available to you). The determinaton whether to allow you to continue UI will really be up to the UI rep who reviews your case.

To lose COBRA, you have to have been eligible for insurance offered by another employer. I suspect that your new employer had a waiting period for enrollment in their medical plan -- so you didn't pre-enroll, with coverage effective on your first day of work, right?

If you did enroll in the new employer's coverage, you can't have dual coverage -- the new employer's and COBRA at the same time. Normally, your COBRA would end in that case. But since you probably didn't have sufficient time to make a premium payment on the new coverage, technically it never went into effect. So your COBRA coverage would remain intact.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,226,813 times
wait a minute you have to be real careful here! there are two ways to go about it. First off you quit so dont admit this or your out of luck. You can either claim it like you worked temporary when you get your paycheck. When you call in they asked you if you worked, claim the hours and they will deduct that from the amount. The other thing is to get the company to either not pay you at all if it is going to challenge the UE. I had the same situation happen , I claimed it was a temp job for one day on UE. But you need to be careful, you did not quit!!! So if they look hard you might *********rself. Be careful, call like you would regularly call in claim when you get check hours but if asked it was a temp job.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,770,160 times
What did you tell the employer? That might have a bearing on it. Was this a "test/probation" period to see if they liked you and you liked them?

If UE doesn't allow you to refuse a job interview I doubt they'd look kindly on refusing an actual job, much less quitting once you had it after one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or