U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,546 times

Advertisements

HI all, I just started my Tier II extension and have seemed to notice that the benefit amount bi weekly is now only half of what the initial claim amount was. Is this right? I am living outside of NJ, but when i spke to NJ Unemployment, they never said that a) moving out of state would effect my extension amount or that b)the extension amount would be cut in half.
If anyone has any solid ideas on what's up, i would really thank you for your input here. And for anyone trying to talk to an actual person, i call 201 601 4100 and start dialing at 6:55am. even then, get ready to wait at least 1/2 hour
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 38,665 times
I am about to start tier 2....according to the NJ unemployment website, tier 2 and any other extensions WILL BE 1/2 your original unemployment benefits.....Sucks!!!!!! But better than nothing.....

Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,972,383 times
What it means is not a change to your weekly benefit payment, but to your total. Tier 1 was 20 weeks[let's say 400/week X 20]; Tier 2 is 14 weeks [or 400/week X 14] - which isn't 1/2, but less than 20 weeks. But the weekly amount shouldn't change unless something is off specifically about your claim.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM

94 posts, read 186,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunner5 View Post
I am about to start tier 2....according to the NJ unemployment website, tier 2 and any other extensions WILL BE 1/2 your original unemployment benefits.....Sucks!!!!!! But better than nothing.....
Where in the world do you see that on the NJ Unemployment website? I think you're confusing "50% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim" with thinking they're going to cut your weekly benefit rate in half. They're not. Your checks will be for the same amount as before.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunner5 View Post

Do you know anything about the tiers and if you qualify? Im also in Tennesse and my year ended on Feb. 20,2010. I have one week left of Tier 2 and I am not sure if I will transition into tier3. How do I find this out as the Tennessee web site is soooo confusing?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM

16,715 posts, read 11,670,211 times
You get re-assessed at each year anniversary not each tier. At least in NJ.

What an ****ing mess. to go from tier to tier and my 1 year anniversary.

Wish me luck, I have 3 (yes really) prospects and hopefully soon can stop my bi-weekly visits to unscrew up the unemployment. The problem is sheer volume of highly qualified people applying for each position nevermind the completely unqualified clogging up the inbox. I have come in 2nd 2 times and once went throug 4 interviews before they decided to not even fill the position. I do find resumes I sent out LAST YEAR were saved and people responding to them now.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:49 AM

478 posts, read 1,681,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger1 View Post
HI all, I just started my Tier II extension and have seemed to notice that the benefit amount bi weekly is now only half of what the initial claim amount was. Is this right? I am living outside of NJ, but when i spke to NJ Unemployment, they never said that a) moving out of state would effect my extension amount or that b)the extension amount would be cut in half.
If anyone has any solid ideas on what's up, i would really thank you for your input here. And for anyone trying to talk to an actual person, i call 201 601 4100 and start dialing at 6:55am. even then, get ready to wait at least 1/2 hour

Federal legislation in November 2008 expanded the EUC program to provide additional benefits to individuals exhausting their EUC Tier 1 benefits. EUC Tier 2 initially provided up to 13 weeks or 50% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount was less. However, on November 6, 2009, new federal legislation was signed into law, allowing an additional week of EUC Tier 2 benefits. EUC Tier 2 now provides 14 weeks or 54% of the individual’s maximum benefit amount on their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less.

Your weekly benefit amount (the $$$$) will be same as you always received from start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment