U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 AM

544 posts, read 972,032 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my full-time job at the end of Dec. I've been working a part-time job (17 hours) but I quickly realized that without the income of my full-time job, my part-time job was becoming a burden instead of a help.

Both jobs were a 45 minute commute, so I'm still having to drive 45 minutes each way 5 days a week (plus $2 in tolls) because of the hours 5:30-9pm I still have to pay for after-school care for my child because I have to leave home no later than 5pm in order to be on time and my partner doesn't get off work until 5:30.

So I'm paying $60 a week in gas to get back and forth; $10 a week in tolls; and $75 a week in childcare - a total of $145 and I only make $144.50 before taxes. I'm drawing partial unemployment because I was laid off from my day job but after we sat down and did the numbers because the expense of me getting to and from work, plus childcare I'm basically only living off my unemployment right now, which amounts to about $170 a week.

It's gotten to the point where the job is costing me more money to keep it and I want to quit but I'm afraid it will cause me to lose my unemployment. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've heard several people say if you have a good reason why you had to quit the job they may approve it. I'm hoping they will approve it because I was never drawing unemployment from my part-time job but my full-time job where I was laid off. I'm totally scared right now because I really can't afford to keep working this part-time job unless I find something full-time right away and I'm afraid if I quit I'll lose my UI and be totally without income until I find a job. Has anyone gone through the appeal process?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM

544 posts, read 972,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I was laid off from my full-time job at the end of Dec. I've been working a part-time job (17 hours) but I quickly realized that without the income of my full-time job, my part-time job was becoming a burden instead of a help.

Both jobs were a 45 minute commute, so I'm still having to drive 45 minutes each way 5 days a week (plus $2 in tolls) because of the hours 5:30-9pm I still have to pay for after-school care for my child because I have to leave home no later than 5pm in order to be on time and my partner doesn't get off work until 5:30.

So I'm paying $60 a week in gas to get back and forth; $10 a week in tolls; and $75 a week in childcare - a total of $145 and I only make $144.50 before taxes. I'm drawing partial unemployment because I was laid off from my day job but after we sat down and did the numbers because the expense of me getting to and from work, plus childcare I'm basically only living off my unemployment right now, which amounts to about $170 a week.

It's gotten to the point where the job is costing me more money to keep it and I want to quit but I'm afraid it will cause me to lose my unemployment. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've heard several people say if you have a good reason why you had to quit the job they may approve it. I'm hoping they will approve it because I was never drawing unemployment from my part-time job but my full-time job where I was laid off. I'm totally scared right now because I really can't afford to keep working this part-time job unless I find something full-time right away and I'm afraid if I quit I'll lose my UI and be totally without income until I find a job. Has anyone gone through the appeal process?
Well i quit and now my benefits are under review. The review process takes 4-6 and then if they deny me I have 20 days to appeal. I tried talking to the people at the toll-free number to see if there was a way to expeidite the review process os that if i have to appeal i can go ahead and file one but they're so unhelpful. I almost feel like i shouldn't have reported that i quit and just kept claiming that i was earning wages even when i wasn't since now i have zero dollars coming in.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,171,816 times
Quote:
Well i quit and now my benefits are under review. The review process takes 4-6 and then if they deny me I have 20 days to appeal. I tried talking to the people at the toll-free number to see if there was a way to expeidite the review process os that if i have to appeal i can go ahead and file one but they're so unhelpful. I almost feel like i shouldn't have reported that i quit and just kept claiming that i was earning wages even when i wasn't since now i have zero dollars coming in.
Just FYI -- when you file an initial claim, it goes to a UI examiner. The UI agents with whom you speak on the telephone are not allowed to comment on the likelihood that your claim will or will not be approved, and they have no control over how quickly a claim goes through the examiner's step of the process.

Whether or not you told UI that you quit, your claim is verified with your former employer. If your former employer challenges the claim by saying that you quit and you did not disclose the resignation to UI, that creates a problem for you. It's best that you respond honestly to the questions on the UI application.

BTW, if you are denied benefits and do appeal, because of the backlog of appeals the process can take several moths before you get an appeals hearing -- so keep your fingers crossed that you don't need to go through the appeals process.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,240,421 times
Quote:

as i just found out after being on unemployment and being stripped of it and now owing $1500 or jail time that you need to get fired for something that is no fault of your own or lose the job for no absolute fault of your own.....it's funny because the thing they approved me for i thought would have been less likely in gaining the benefits than the thing they stripped me for and put me in this bad situation all the while i still cant find work...hopefully this will direct you somehow but if not maybe someone else has been in the exact situation as you

Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM

12,228 posts, read 16,774,378 times
I went through that before. I had a full-time job in Lake Mary and then around the holidays picked up a part-time for extra money. I ended up staying at the part-time longer than I meant to and when I got laid off from my full-time job I couldn't see driving from Kissimmee to Lake Mary for 7.50. However, the unemployment system doesn't work that way. They will tell you that you knew the distance to work when you started the job. The childcare angle won't help you either. I say your best bet is too appeal and find some other reason...do your research and be prepared to fight. In the meantime look for another job

Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 41,412 times
I was hoping someone could help me out as well. I was just fired from a job because my car broke down while I was coming back to my town and I had no way to call anyone. I was scheduled to work that day, but since I had no way to inform them about my absence, they fired me for no call, no show. This was a part time job and I was still getting unemployment insurance. I do not see myself being able to get by without this income for 4 to 6 weeks as one had stated earlier. Does my reason for being fired seem valid and do I have a possibility of having my unemployment reinstated, or should I just pretend that I am still working by saying that I worked a couple of hours each week at my former job when I claim my check? Because, if I could get away with it for 2 months, I would think it would be worth it, seeing as how I get about a thousand a month and the fee for fraud is only 1500. If the only way that would work is to tell them the truth, I might just end up whoring myself out, I already sell my plasma for money as it is. Bills don't pay themselves after all.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM

87 posts, read 262,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Just FYI -- when you file an initial claim, it goes to a UI examiner. The UI agents with whom you speak on the telephone are not allowed to comment on the likelihood that your claim will or will not be approved, and they have no control over how quickly a claim goes through the examiner's step of the process.

Whether or not you told UI that you quit, your claim is verified with your former employer. If your former employer challenges the claim by saying that you quit and you did not disclose the resignation to UI, that creates a problem for you. It's best that you respond honestly to the questions on the UI application.

BTW, if you are denied benefits and do appeal, because of the backlog of appeals the process can take several moths before you get an appeals hearing -- so keep your fingers crossed that you don't need to go through the appeals process.
I believe Georgia requires that you have a hearing within 15 business days. My appeal was 2 weeks after I officially got the letter that my ex employer was fighting my case. I went through the appeal process and received payments within 2 weeks after my appeal.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,171,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochran View Post
I believe Georgia requires that you have a hearing within 15 business days. My appeal was 2 weeks after I officially got the letter that my ex employer was fighting my case. I went through the appeal process and received payments within 2 weeks after my appeal.
That's excellent turnaround. This obviously varies from state to state, but in New Jersey for more than a year now the backlog on appeals has been so great that one can typically wait 3-4 months to get a date for an appeals hearing.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 49,608 times
I am on my second extension and accepted a job that promised 26-30 hours a week with a pay rate better than my former job that I lost and is the original reason for my claim. Anyway,this job I accepted only assigns sporadic assignments and i only worked 10 hours a week if i am lucky. It was hurting me more than helping me. I don't see how UI can take my benefits away since this is not suitable work. I decided to quit and i do not plan on reporting this to unemployment.Does anyone think i will lose my benefits over this??? I shouldn't!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM

155 posts, read 485,878 times
When you started your new job, your new company registered you in your state's New Hire database. At that time, your new employer was probably notified of any Federal Tax benefits they could receive for hiring an unemployed person and they may have filed forms for those tax breaks.

Unfortunately, your new job probably will show up in the system at some point - just be prepared for that possibility. Good Luck and hope you find a suitable job soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or