U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM

259 posts, read 621,104 times

Advertisements

its not going to happen, what will probably happen is, they will knock the benefit rate down to what is right now 584. Also Christie is posturing for more federal aid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,173,035 times
Default Christie Gets "No" From Feds and From NJ Legislature

Following a meeting today with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) said today that the federal government will not bail out New Jersey's insolvent unemployment insurance fund.

New Jersey is one of 27 states who have borrowed a total of about $30 billion from the federal government to pay their unemployment claims.

Christie hoped to get New Jersey's debt -- $1.2 billion and growing -- to be forgiven. Christie has also proposed cutting benefits for future unemployed workers to help reduce a tax hike on employers that is set to take place in July, but Democrats who control the New Jersey State Legislature called the plan dead on arrival.

Under the stimulus act -- and its amendments -- passed last year, New Jersey received billions for its strapped unemployment insurance fund. The fund, which is filled mostly through taxes on employers, has been raided over the years by state politicians in both parties to pay for other purposes.

Menendez did say he is hopeful that Congress can soon pass a bill providing for extended unemployment benefits, which would be fully funded by the federal government.

N.J. unemployment fund will not be bailed out by federal money, Menendez says | - NJ.com

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Default Democrats' "Compromise" for Christie on UI Benefits

In response to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's plan to reduce the state's maximum weekly unemployment benefit by $50, Democrats in the New Jersey Legislature have proposed a compromise that would reduce the upcoming unemployment tax increase on businesses without cutting unemployment benefits.

Christie's proposal was part of an attempt to save the state's insolvent unemployment insurance fund without putting an additional burden on business. NJ businesses currently pay an average of about $772 per employee in unemployment tax per year. An increase in that annual tax of $400 per employee is due to take effect on July 1.

The Democrats' compromise plan would raise the unemployment tax on businesses by an average of $148 per employee to $920 a year -- with no change in the maximum weekly unemployment benefit.

NJ Democrats propose jobless benefits compromise - NewsFlash - NJ.com
PhillyBurbs.com: *NJ Democrats propose jobless benefits compromise (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/92/2010/march/04/nj-democrats-propose-jobless-benefits-compromise.html - broken link)
NBC40.net :: News (http://www.nbc40.net/view_story.php?id=12452 - broken link)

Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 PM

478 posts, read 1,593,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
In response to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's plan to reduce the state's maximum weekly unemployment benefit by $50, Democrats in the New Jersey Legislature have proposed a compromise that would reduce the upcoming unemployment tax increase on businesses without cutting unemployment benefits.

Christie's proposal was part of an attempt to save the state's insolvent unemployment insurance fund without putting an additional burden on business. NJ businesses currently pay an average of about $772 per employee in unemployment tax per year. An increase in that annual tax of $400 per employee is due to take effect on July 1.

The Democrats' compromise plan would raise the unemployment tax on businesses by an average of $148 per employee to $920 a year -- with no change in the maximum weekly unemployment benefit.

NJ Democrats propose jobless benefits compromise - NewsFlash - NJ.com
PhillyBurbs.com: *NJ Democrats propose jobless benefits compromise (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/92/2010/march/04/nj-democrats-propose-jobless-benefits-compromise.html - broken link)
NBC40.net :: News (http://www.nbc40.net/view_story.php?id=12452 - broken link)

Well thats good news better from before's idea.. I can't see why the unemployed have to suffer or even the employers..both did what they were suppose to do over the years pay UI taxes..its the past state officals who con all and got away with it by dipping into the UI funds for years.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 AM

9,755 posts, read 15,792,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
In answer to item 1)-in 2009 the highest NJ state UI benefit you could collect was $584/week. And I believe the Massachusetts maximum benefit is higher than N.J's. or at least it was in 2009. It does seem to me that NY's max.of $405 is pretty low if you happen to live in NYC or one of its nearby suburbs. I guess I should be glad to be unemployed in NJ instead of NY.
Yes, it is pathetically low if you live in NYC, Long Island, or Westchester County. But there are much worse places, the two worst max UI's I know of is $240/week in AZ and $275/week in FL.

MA is a little unique in that you can get a higher max UI if you have kids (neighboring CT is the only other state I know like that). I think in both states, the max UI is less than NJ's if you do not have kids and more if you do. I don't believe NJ has separate UI rates if you have kids.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yes, it is pathetically low if you live in NYC, Long Island, or Westchester County. But there are much worse places, the two worst max UI's I know of is $240/week in AZ and $275/week in FL.

MA is a little unique in that you can get a higher max UI if you have kids (neighboring CT is the only other state I know like that). I think in both states, the max UI is less than NJ's if you do not have kids and more if you do. I don't believe NJ has separate UI rates if you have kids.
New Jersey does have "Dependency Benefits":
If your Weekly Benefit Rate is less than the maximum amount possible ($600 in 2010) you may qualify to receive Dependency Benefits.

You may be entitled to receive an extra 7% of your Weekly Benefit Amount for your first dependent, and an extra 4% for each of the next two dependents. The most you can collect is an extra 15% for three dependents.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Dependency Benefits

Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 AM

Default Legislation Introduced to Address NJ UI Insolvency

Update on this story available at:
Bill that attempts to ensure solvency of New Jersey jobless fund introduced in Senate | State | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM

149 posts, read 319,756 times
This fool will only serve 1 term.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM

154 posts, read 447,412 times
Hey everyone. I just went to the posted link for the proposed bill. I have to wonder what Sen. Joe Pennacchio means by a "shared work employment benefits program". I cannot find any clarification on this anywhere on-line. If anyone out there can offer any insight please let us know. And, didn't Christie mention something earlier this month about cutting out the EB program in NJ if the Feds didn't agree to fund it 100%? I believe it is now funded 50/50 (NJ/Feds). Christie is on record saying that he doesn't care if he only serves 1 term. Yikes.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
Hey everyone. I just went to the posted link for the proposed bill. I have to wonder what Sen. Joe Pennacchio means by a "shared work employment benefits program". I cannot find any clarification on this anywhere on-line. If anyone out there can offer any insight please let us know. And, didn't Christie mention something earlier this month about cutting out the EB program in NJ if the Feds didn't agree to fund it 100%? I believe it is now funded 50/50 (NJ/Feds). Christie is on record saying that he doesn't care if he only serves 1 term. Yikes.
Shared Work Unemployment Compensation Plans
Shared Work Unemployment Compensation Plans are offered by individual states to companies facing a temporary decline in business. It is an alternative to laying off workers.

A Shared Work program allows companies to reduce the weekly work hours of full-time employees. In return, those workers get to collect partial unemployment benefits to supplement their reduced wages.

The details of Shared Work programs vary from state to state -- although all states offering the program do require companies to file a formal application to participate. Among the states currently offering Shared Work programs are New York, Washington, and Texas.

New York State Department of Labor - Shared Work- The layoff alternative
The Shared-Work Program
Shared Work Unemployment Compensation Plan

EB in New Jersey
In New Jersey, EB and High EB are triggered by the state's three-month average unemployment rate: an average of at least 6% is required for EB (up to 13 weeks), and at least 8% for High EB (up to an additional 7 weeks). To change or eliminate these triggers, new legislation would have to be passed by the New Jersey State legislature.

In February 2009, the federal government began providing 100% funding for EB benefits in all states offering EB. This 100% funding is one of the unemployment benefits that has been included in the extensions of the EUC Tiers.

So -- unless Congress continues to extend this 100% funding along with the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers beyond April 5 -- on April 6, 2010, this 100% federal funding will revert to the original 50% federal/50% state funding arrangement that existed before the Stimulus Act.

New Jersey will be required to contribute its 50% until it changes the state law which now specifies three-month average unemployment rates as triggers for EB benefits.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

Last edited by diorgirl; 03-25-2010 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or