Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times

Advertisements

I was waiting for my car at the mechanic the other day, as if I need another bill. Well, anyway, while I was there I saw a classified add wanting women to donate their eggs. For a brief moment, I actually considered. The money they were offering was actually quite good. My morals stopped me.

I was watching the movie, "Fun With Dick and Jane" a few weeks ago and actually found myself feeling sorry for Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni's characters. Jim Carrey's went to an interview with hundreds of people in line. It actually looked like a line I have seen in one of my interviews. Anyway, in this movie, they reached the point of desperation that they started robbing banks. I wonder how many long-term unemployed will reach this point.

I am tired of job searching. I am tired of being a female stuck in a bad neigborhood. I think most females on this board whether unemployed or not would not want to be living in a bad neighborhood. I would happily move to even Barrow, Alaska if I were offered a job there. I have been looking now for going on 9 months. I have been rejected for everything from fast food and retail to preschool teaching jobs and elementary teaching jobs. Yes, I would change careers, but then you get, "you don't have experience." I would join the military or border patrol, but I have asthma. It is like, what am I supposed to do? Go back to school and go into even more debt? Then what if you go to school for something and that job market collapses?

People clamour about how you should go to college after high school. They say, "college is the only way to get a good job." Yeah well, this is a load of BS. I often wonder if my college degree has rendered me unemployable. I often beat myself up for incurring so much debt for an unemployment check. I really think my degree is PREVENTING me from even landing a $10 an hour job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I was waiting for my car at the mechanic the other day, as if I need another bill. Well, anyway, while I was there I saw a classified add wanting women to donate their eggs. For a brief moment, I actually considered. The money they were offering was actually quite good. My morals stopped me.

I was watching the movie, "Fun With Dick and Jane" a few weeks ago and actually found myself feeling sorry for Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni's characters. Jim Carrey's went to an interview with hundreds of people in line. It actually looked like a line I have seen in one of my interviews. Anyway, in this movie, they reached the point of desperation that they started robbing banks. I wonder how many long-term unemployed will reach this point.

I am tired of job searching. I am tired of being a female stuck in a bad neigborhood. I think most females on this board whether unemployed or not would not want to be living in a bad neighborhood. I would happily move to even Barrow, Alaska if I were offered a job there. I have been looking now for going on 9 months. I have been rejected for everything from fast food and retail to preschool teaching jobs and elementary teaching jobs. Yes, I would change careers, but then you get, "you don't have experience." I would join the military or border patrol, but I have asthma. It is like, what am I supposed to do? Go back to school and go into even more debt? Then what if you go to school for something and that job market collapses?

People clamour about how you should go to college after high school. They say, "college is the only way to get a good job." Yeah well, this is a load of BS. I often wonder if my college degree has rendered me unemployable. I often beat myself up for incurring so much debt for an unemployment check. I really think my degree is PREVENTING me from even landing a $10 an hour job.
my sister needs a kidney, pm me if interested.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Steve, It is illigal to pay for or offer to buy a kidney. I just reported you to the mods! and the feds!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
You are a disgrace.

When this subforum was created there was a specific rule articulated that stated "No negativity toward the unemployed." Mocking them was considered a violation of the TOS.

I don't know whether that rule is still in force here since I cannot locate the "sticky" but consider yourself reported nonetheless.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:

I have felt for some time now, having gone through the recession of the 80s, that this one would be different.

I think it's important that people recalibrate their expectations to prevent depression and unnecessary impatience and frustration.

I understand how frightening and difficult it is. Unfortunately, this economy will not turn around anytime soon. Some economists say 2015, others longer. Per the NYT article published tonight, every recession since the 80s has resulted in fewer jobs being restored.

The New Poor - Despite Signs of Recovery, Long-Term Unemployment Rises - Series - NYTimes.com

I suggest everyone read this article and the comments. I honestly don't think anyone - not Democrat or Republican - really knows what to do about this problem because a huge paradigm shift has taken place over the past 20 years - technology, outsourcing, massive wealth redistribution and imbalance. We have never faced anything like this previously.

These are very hard truths. But I don't think anyone can make proper plans for their future based on the way things had been a few years ago. Facing that hard fact might allow some to start thinking outside the box about their options. For example, my son and daughter-in-law are on very thin ice. She does, however, have relatives in Norway. I imagine their immigration policies are not as liberal as ours, but I would not discourage them from considering it.

My apologies if I upset anyone with these remarks. I am not at all optimistic about this country's prospects near and mid term. And many people have already run out of time.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-21-2010 at 02:52 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I have felt for some time now, having gone through the recession of the 80s, that this one would be different.

I think it's important that people recalibrate their expectations to prevent depression and unnecessary impatience and frustration.

I understand how frightening and difficult it is. Unfortunately, this economy will not turn around anytime soon. Some economists say 2015, others longer. Per the NYT article published tonight, every recession since the 80s has resulted in fewer jobs being restored.

The New Poor - Despite Signs of Recovery, Long-Term Unemployment Rises - Series - NYTimes.com

I suggest everyone read this article and the comments. I honestly don't think anyone - not Democrat or Republican - really knows what to do about this problem because a huge paradigm shift that has taken place over the past 20 years - technology and outsourcing - and we have nver faced anything like this previously.

These are very hard truths. But I don't think anyone can make proper plans for their future based on the way things had been a few years ago. Facing that hard fact might allow some to start thinking outside the box about their options. For example, my son and daughter-in-law are on very thin ice. She does, however, have relatives in Norway. I imagine their immigration policies are not as liberal as ours, but I would not discourage them from considering it.

My apologies if I upset anyone with these remarks. I am not at all optimistic about the near term. And many people have already run out of time.
Excellent post.

The NYT is the only mainstream media outlet that has had consistenly outstanding coverage on the "human side" of this recession with their feature reporting. The real "gold" is found not in the stories themselves but in the comments section following these stories.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
I would join the military or border patrol, but I have asthma.
While having asthma would probably keep you out of the military, you might want to reconsider applying for Federal positions such as the Border Patrol and Customs. Over the past few years the government has relaxed many of their physical requirements for these kinds of jobs.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Excellent post.

The NYT is the only mainstream media outlet that has had consistenly outstanding coverage on the "human side" of this recession with their feature reporting. The real "gold" is found not in the stories themselves but in the comments section following these stories.
Oh, is there gold in those comments tonight. I'm can't stop reading and it's 4:30 a.m. here.

Here's one:

Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, is there gold in those comments tonight. I'm can't stop reading and it's 4:30 a.m. here.

Here's one:

Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com
I hear you.

Some of the comments are classic -- AnnS from MI is one of my favorite commenters over there.

I have even compiled a couple of digests from the NYT comments section. Here are the links:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-part-one.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-part-two.html

Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
Steve, It is illigal to pay for or offer to buy a kidney. I just reported you to the mods! and the feds!
Im not worried. and there is no word of money , offer anyone can use words. Thanks dick!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 02-21-2010 at 04:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment