U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM

34 posts, read 187,368 times

Advertisements

I am registered with a company that only has temp work from September through November and if I am LUCKY, I can get online when their schedule opens in August and grab a full time schedule for the approximately 10 weeks of work. Some of those weeks, I may be without even one day of work but if lucky, other weeks I can grab many days and possibly get myself from 20 to 40 hours for the week.

I have never been on unemployment, so please excuse my naivity on the matter. How does this work with unemployment, if I am still unemployed at that time? Do I continue to file my weekly unemployment claim and simply let them know what, if any income I have made for the week?

In Arizona, it is not difficult to go beyond the state $240 weekly benefit, so I know that if I work 2 days, I will exceed their total (even with the FAC).

When you start a job that you know is temp and has a deadline, under those conditions, you do not ask unemployment to close your case and rather inform them of the POSSIBLE temp work and continue to file your weekly claims? AND (whew) does that then truncate your benefits?? Whereas you had 26 weeks, now you will only have 24 weeks, if you worked two of those weeks and collected no unemployment? (hope I'm not making this sound as confusing as it is in my head) or do they simply continue to give you the option of having 26 weeks in total if you do not find permanent work after the temp job?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM

129 posts, read 506,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tpring View Post
I am registered with a company that only has temp work from September through November and if I am LUCKY, I can get online when their schedule opens in August and grab a full time schedule for the approximately 10 weeks of work. Some of those weeks, I may be without even one day of work but if lucky, other weeks I can grab many days and possibly get myself from 20 to 40 hours for the week.

I have never been on unemployment, so please excuse my naivity on the matter. How does this work with unemployment, if I am still unemployed at that time? Do I continue to file my weekly unemployment claim and simply let them know what, if any income I have made for the week?

In Arizona, it is not difficult to go beyond the state $240 weekly benefit, so I know that if I work 2 days, I will exceed their total (even with the FAC).

When you start a job that you know is temp and has a deadline, under those conditions, you do not ask unemployment to close your case and rather inform them of the POSSIBLE temp work and continue to file your weekly claims? AND (whew) does that then truncate your benefits?? Whereas you had 26 weeks, now you will only have 24 weeks, if you worked two of those weeks and collected no unemployment? (hope I'm not making this sound as confusing as it is in my head) or do they simply continue to give you the option of having 26 weeks in total if you do not find permanent work after the temp job?
Every state is different when handling working while collecting unemployment. About 6 months ago, I was called by a recruiter about a 3-month temp only position. Needless to say, I interviewed for the job and wasn't considered, but before that, I called the unemployment people in Pennsylvania (where I live) and asked them about taking on a temp assignment and collecting unemployment. They told me that as far as wages are concerned, I was able to collect up to 40% of my weekly benefit amount under the guise of a Partial Benefit Credit. So, if I make $300 for example, I can work and get up to $120 and not have it affect my unemployment. Any more than that, and unemployment will only make up the difference up to the $300. I was also told that when you open an unemployment claim, your claim is active for one year from date of activation. So, if I had gotten the temp job, worked three months, then was let go, I could go back to collecting unemployment benefits because my being let go wasn't due to something I did, it was a termination of the temp. agreement, per se. But remember, the clock is ticking on your unemployment benefits. If you have a 26-week state unemployment claim, and during that time, you work 5-6 weeks making enough so that you can't claim unemployment, those are 5-6 weeks that you will not be able to get unemployment on are gone, and can't be made up.

If you do start temping, then you will need to let unemployment know you are getting wages and how much. From there, they can determine whether you get any of your unemployment benefits, or none during your time temping. Each state has it's own rules and guidelines for this, check with your state unemployment for more detailed information.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Thank you Wabbitstu (funny, do you keep rabbits?)

I know my claim gives me 26 weeks and a year to use it in but wasn't sure how the details bare out. Arizona is a very poor UI state as they go and I know that I get only a $30 grace amount (meaning, if I make $30 for the week, I still get my entire UI benefit but anything beyond that and I quickly lose the benefit, really a small amount, who, even at minimum wage is only going to make $30 for the week if they find some kind of work...even part time is more than that).
I'll try to track down some friends who are on UI in AZ as I met a lot of them at my last temp job...little did I know, I should have applied back in September of 2009 when I had little to no work. Yikes.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM

129 posts, read 506,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tpring View Post
Thank you Wabbitstu (funny, do you keep rabbits?)
No, it's from a Looney Tunes cartoon with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. It's the one where Elmer brings Bugs home in a basket mentioning making "wabbit stew" only to have Bugs convince Elmer he has got a disease called "wabbititis".

Old 03-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Oh yes, that's a classic...I misread it and thought it read Rabbits too or Rabbits two

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM

23,428 posts, read 49,801,058 times
You might want to visit your state unemployment website and browse through the links. It's possible many of your questions could be answered.

https://www.azdes.gov/landing.aspx?id=4211

In Wisconsin, $30 is deducted from part time wages, 67% of remainder is deducted from UI benefit and you are paid that figure after the deduction plus your wages. Each state calculates differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or