U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,919 times

Advertisements

My wife is collecting UI and being sent to Essex County College thru unemployment. She was working part time in Clifton NJ in a fast food place until they wanted her to transfer to a woodbridge location in november. That change would have effected her school schedule. She opted not to take the relocation offer and quit. She was just recently up for recertification and we job a letter for an appointment with a claims examiner interview for reason " You may have quit your job without good cause attributable to the work" I am now concerned they may take her benefits and her tuition waiver away. Is this reason enough to have the benefits denied?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Forgot to mention the part time job in question is NOT the job the claim is based on.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Any ideas or are her benefits as good as gone?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,229 times
This just happened to me and I am totally freaking out. What happened in your wifes case? Please advise...

Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,326,004 times
They expected her to transfer from Clifton to Woodbridge? Jeez- it's not like they're right next door to one another. That's a pretty hefty difference in commute time.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,229 times
I think there is a certain distance that they can ask you to relocate to. If it is further she can quit and collect unemployment benefits. I am in the same scenerio... quit to go to school on the Tuition Waiver (you have to go fulltime) Was told by a lawyer that I will Lose my unemployment benefits completely. It would have been nice if the WD counselor told me this!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,491,227 times
You can not quit a job and receive UI. Its just the way it is. If anything its the other way around when it comes to schooling, They expect you to quit the schooling if you are offered a job or risk losing your UI benefits. They dont want you on the UI rolls. So schooling isn't going to count. It is true you can get a wavier so you keep getting your UI benefits while going to school but if a job is offered you have to take it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
You cannot quit a job while on unemployment. The tuition waiver program is not an entitlement. It is a privilege and a very generous one. You are going to school for free, school that for others costs thousands in dollars in loans they will be paying back with interest for years to come. If the relocation interferes with schooling, then you must adjust your school shedule and if that's not possible you simply have to quit school. You can't simply quit a part-time job because it interferes with your tuition-waived schooling. You are also required to look for a job while you are attending school on the tuition waiver. If a job is offered to you, you must either attend scool full time on your off-hours, or quit school. That's how it works and how it should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment