Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:36 PM

6 posts, read 56,261 times

Advertisements

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: IL

I recently received approval for unemployment benefits from a company I was fired from 1 month ago. I took another full time job and worked there for 4 days last week. Due to a dispute with my employer about my responsibilities, I am going to quit. I doubt I receive any payment for my 4 days of work.

fwiw, the salary at this job is half of what i was receiving at my former job.

1. If I DO receive payment for the 4 days worked, will I now be ineligible?
2. If I DON'T receive pay, do I even need to report my employment?

If I do receive pay and don't cash the check, will this provide enough substance for an argument for continuance of benefits if the state of IL or my former employer finds out about my job?

FWIW, I have now decided to relocate with my fiance to another state, which I should've done when I suspected this employer/employment to be suspect.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 AM

593 posts, read 884,817 times
Default Unemployment

Be careful as Ill and other States have strict quidelines that if not followed to the tee can get ou a felony conviction plus payback . You have to re-
port the work you did and the money earned. They will then subtract the recent money earned regardless if it is less than past history. You will
continue to receive benefits ,but in some States they delay payments in order to check with the company you easrned monies from to make sure
your accurate. Be care also than when you report work that they don't cancel your unemplyment entirely as was the case here in Florida due to
inexperienced folks who don't have a clue what the rules are except for key people you need to get to know. (Back line contacts) generally the toll free numbers are bogus and rarely is anyone going to answer. You must keep records of all attempts to get work the address/phone and who you spoke with
and be ready for an audit from time to time. I have 160 documentations to date (2 per week X80 weeeks)

Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Be careful as Ill and other States have strict quidelines that if not followed to the tee can get ou a felony conviction plus payback . You have to re-
port the work you did and the money earned. They will then subtract the recent money earned regardless if it is less than past history. You will
continue to receive benefits ,but in some States they delay payments in order to check with the company you easrned monies from to make sure
your accurate. Be care also than when you report work that they don't cancel your unemplyment entirely as was the case here in Florida due to
inexperienced folks who don't have a clue what the rules are except for key people you need to get to know. (Back line contacts) generally the toll free numbers are bogus and rarely is anyone going to answer. You must keep records of all attempts to get work the address/phone and who you spoke with
and be ready for an audit from time to time. I have 160 documentations to date (2 per week X80 weeeks)
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So I will continue to receive benefits after quitting my second job? I don't have a problem reporting the income, I just don't want to lose my benefits going forward.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM

613 posts, read 957,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunemployed View Post
My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: IL

I recently received approval for unemployment benefits from a company I was fired from 1 month ago. I took another full time job and worked there for 4 days last week. Due to a dispute with my employer about my responsibilities, I am going to quit. I doubt I receive any payment for my 4 days of work.

fwiw, the salary at this job is half of what i was receiving at my former job.

1. If I DO receive payment for the 4 days worked, will I now be ineligible?
2. If I DON'T receive pay, do I even need to report my employment?

If I do receive pay and don't cash the check, will this provide enough substance for an argument for continuance of benefits if the state of IL or my former employer finds out about my job?

FWIW, I have now decided to relocate with my fiance to another state, which I should've done when I suspected this employer/employment to be suspect.

thanks
It's against the law for the company not to pay you. And, the days that you worked, the company has to pay into unemployment insurance. The company will not be the one that you continue to collect on, it will be your old company where you earned enough in the previous quarters to collect.
Cash the paycheck because ILL will ask the company for earned income.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
It's against the law for the company not to pay you. And, the days that you worked, the company has to pay into unemployment insurance. The company will not be the one that you continue to collect on, it will be your old company where you earned enough in the previous quarters to collect.
Cash the paycheck because ILL will ask the company for earned income.
Cool, thx for the reply. So I will be eligible for unemployment after quitting this job?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM

After quitting temp job, woman can't restart unemployment - chicagotribune.com

Reading this concerns me.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,643 times
Default Blessings

There will be an investigation in relation to your recent job separation. You will have to prove good and just cause for quitting. Your last employer will be contacted. If it is determined you do not have a good reason for quitting, you won't receive benefits at all. You can, of course, appeal.

I sure wish you much luck here as I went through this a little over six months ago.

Blessings.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowwarrior View Post
There will be an investigation in relation to your recent job separation. You will have to prove good and just cause for quitting. Your last employer will be contacted. If it is determined you do not have a good reason for quitting, you won't receive benefits at all. You can, of course, appeal.

I sure wish you much luck here as I went through this a little over six months ago.

Blessings.
so after 15 months at one job (and being approved for UI benefits), and 4 days at another, I have to prove why I quit after 4 days to receive future benefits?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 PM

166 posts, read 440,973 times
Yes you do. The purpose of UE is a safety line ( a laugh in itself) and intended to make you get back into the work force ASAP. If it was so easy (another laugh in itself) and enough to make the bills and feed your family, then why would anyone bother to look and except work, instead it would be a nice little paid vacation.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 AM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Wow...it almost seems pointless to accept a new job while on unemployment because from this article, looks like it's a catch 22. You never know if the job is going to work out & when it doesn't, you've screwed yourself out of your unemployment?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment