Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,495 times

Advertisements

I was denied unemployment benefits and sent a letter to the NJ Apeals Tribunal about 1 week ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive an answer. My first appeal was denied that is why I sent a letter to the Appeals Tribunal.

I was denied because I was on company medical leave for over 240 days and the company terminated me. The NJUemployment claims I am not eligable because "I quit my job and it was non work related". The medical issue I had no longer exists and I am ready and will to work. However I cannot find employment. I am 80 years fo age.

Last edited by Patx3; 04-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 PM

15 posts, read 44,421 times
I'm not sure how long it takes, but I'm going through a simular situation. I had an anxiety attack at work and they wont grant me unemployment because I "walked out and quit my job". To make matters worse, they are charging me 500 dollars for money they previously granted, and I don't have a dime to my name. The only help I'm getting is food stamps, but I cant exactly pay my bills with food stamps.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx3 View Post
I was denied unemployment benefits and sent a letter to the NJ Apeals Tribunal about 1 week ago. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive an answer. My first appeal was denied that is why I sent a letter to the Appeals Tribunal.

I was denied because I was on company medical leave for over 240 days and the company terminated me. The NJUemployment claims I am not eligable because "I quit my job and it was non work related". The medical issue I had no longer exists and I am ready and will to work. However I cannot find employment. I am 80 years fo age.
You should not be denied benefits if you were terminated from your job due to an extended medical leave. If you went past the 12 weeks allowed by FMLA, they have the right to end your job, but you still qualify for EI benefits. The reason I know that this is true is that it is exactly how I ended up on Unemployment. The only time you should not be qualified is if you were terminated for some type of disciplinary problem (whether true or not) or if you haven't worked enough quarters.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 AM

160 posts, read 374,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx3 View Post

If you are 80, you are eligible for Social Security. Do you own your own home? You could try a reverse mortgage for cash.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
It took nearly 18 days (calendar) for me to get a response to my tribunal appeal. The hearing was scheduled for the very next week so keep your schedule open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment