U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering interviewing for a part time job that will pay about half of what he gets from unemployment. We are in CA and he is just about to start his Tier 4 extension. From looking at EDD's site, it looks like he would be able to get partial UI benefits while working part time. However, I am concerned about what happens when his current extension runs out. Would he still be eligible for FED-ED? And is it true that after a couple of months, EDD will file a new UI claim based on his new lower earnings?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,543 times
seeing as he is about to start tier 4 id say take any job he can get as a part time job might get him in the door for full time work.

as far as i know after you qualify for unemployment compensation and they determine your weekly benefits the maximum of $450 benefits payable weekly means you could earn $450 plus 25% of earnings or $562.50 per week.

Last edited by 6864cbr; 04-12-2010 at 11:40 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 14,502 times
Yeah, that is our pretty much our thinking as well. I was just curious how it would affect his remaining UI.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM

11 posts, read 20,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka200 View Post
Yeah, that is our pretty much our thinking as well. I was just curious how it would affect his remaining UI.
Weekly Benefit Amount: This is the amount of your weekly
benefit. It is the amount you will receive each week if you meet all
eligibility requirements. If you work part-time and earn more than
$25, but less than $100 in a week, your weekly benefit amount
will be reduced by your earnings that are over $25. In that case,
the portion of the weekly benefit amount that you do not receive
remains in your claim for future use until your benefit year ends
(see Item 6 for more information). If your weekly earnings are $101
or more, the first 25% does not count. The amount of earnings
remaining is subtracted from your weekly benefit amount and you
are paid the difference, if any.

not sure how long the lag is from when you report to when they take out of check.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM

35 posts, read 261,852 times
I think you can earn 40% of the weekly unemployment - All that happens above that amount would be they take away dollar for dollar the amount over. It would be good if you could at least earn your current unemployment amount, bec you would continue getting that same income, and then aim for additional work later. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment