U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 52,692 times

Advertisements

I called the unemployment offices in NJ last week because there seemed to be an error on my computer when I went to file my benefits.

When I called, the guy said that I should call on the 10th because I will need to file a new claim. My date of claim was on 5/17/09. He said I may loose my benefits. I just started my second tier.

I know you do not know the circumstances, but does everyone need to file a new claim after a year? What if so, what makes them decide if I belong on unemployment?

If you need more information - I will be glad to tell you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,954,980 times
Yes - at the end of your benefit year you need to speak to an actual agent & either re-certify your claim, by answering a few questions, or open a new one if you have worked in the past year under circumstances which would qualify you for a new claim [seasonal, full-time temp job etc.].

If you have not worked in the past year, the process for re-certifying is fairly simple & you will continue on your way through whatever tiers you are eligible for according to cut-off dates.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 PM

The only work that I had was 1099 (self employment) - does that count?

By self employment, I sell Blackberry themes on mobihand.com - I work an hr a week...IF I work at all (design new themes). There are weeks that I do not work but do make anywhere from 85-100 a week.

Last edited by kingmg4; 05-07-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,590,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmg4 View Post
The only work that I had was 1099 (self employment) - does that count?

By self employment, I sell Blackberry themes on mobihand.com - I work an hr a week...IF I work at all (design new themes). There are weeks that I do not work but do make anywhere from 85-100 a week.
While 1099 earnings will reduce the payment you receive from UI each week, they are not counted toward a new claim. Earnings from an employer who pays into the UI system and pays you on a W-2 basis are counted toward a new UI claim.

Whether or not you have worked over the past year -- and, if you have worked, regardless of the nature of your earnings -- you must still re-certify on the one-year anniversary of your original claim. When you re-certify at the one-year anniversary, UI will check to see if you have accumulated any earnings toward a new claim.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 AM

Is there any back lag? Will I receive weeks without a check?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,590,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmg4 View Post
Is there any back lag? Will I receive weeks without a check?
As long as you re-certify on or immediately after your one-year anniversary, the verification is usually done immediately while you are on the telephone with the UI rep. So unless something unexpected turns up in your file to cause UI to halt your benefits, you resume receiving payments with no gap.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Everything went fine, thank you nj185 and diorgirl for keeping me at ease until the call!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment