Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone -- particularly those with experience w/ NY State Unemployment Insurance -- can provide some answers for me.

I way laid-off from my old job back in late Feb 2010...started getting UI from NYS in late March 2010, now the day my 9th payment was supposed to be released I get a call from the UI office. According to them, my old job still has me in their system as currently employed and therefore they can't release the payment until they can verify that I am indeed no longer working there. Fair enough, but that was almost a week ago. My question is, has anybody else gone through this in NYS or any state for that matter and if so -- how was it handled? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone -- particularly those with experience w/ NY State Unemployment Insurance -- can provide some answers for me.

I way laid-off from my old job back in late Feb 2010...started getting UI from NYS in late March 2010, now the day my 9th payment was supposed to be released I get a call from the UI office. According to them, my old job still has me in their system as currently employed and therefore they can't release the payment until they can verify that I am indeed no longer working there. Fair enough, but that was almost a week ago. My question is, has anybody else gone through this in NYS or any state for that matter and if so -- how was it handled? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Well I would contact your old company and ask them to remove you from their list. If they won't, tell them that you will be at work Friday to pickup your past several months worth of payment they owe you.

busta

Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
I've heard of companies being disorganised, but that sure beats anything else I've ever heard.

Did they not get and return the form from UE after you filed for UI ?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Well I would contact your old company and ask them to remove you from their list. If they won't, tell them that you will be at work Friday to pickup your past several months worth of payment they owe you.

busta
That's the next step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I've heard of companies being disorganised, but that sure beats anything else I've ever heard.

Did they not get and return the form from UE after you filed for UI ?
So, wait...the employer gets a form from the UE office after I began filing? Excuse my ignorance, I just don't know how this thing works

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Yep they do, so that if they dispute your reasons for being unemployed they return the form or if not they just file it. The employer (or payroll dept) would also be receiving a quarterly statement saying your benefits had been debited against their UE account, so they definitely shouldn't still have you on their "books".

Maybe the payroll dept simply failed to deactivate your employee file in the system.

Last edited by Opyelie; 05-26-2010 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Yep they do, so that if they dispute your reasons for being unemployed they return the form or if not they just file it. The employer (or payroll dept) would also be receiving a quarterly statement saying your benefits had been debited against their UE account, so they definitely shouldn't still have you on their "books".

Maybe the payroll dept simply failed to deactivate your employee file in the system.
Ok I'm seeing things a bit more clearly now thanks a bunch . Now since I have already received 8 UI payments from the state since March, this means my employer more than likely has already filed the paperwork and isn't contesting my UE claim right? Also when you say "quarterly" you mean once every 3 months correct? Geez I feel like I'm on the phone with UE right now, lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 PM

LOL - yes, quarterly is every 3 months, and yes, there is a time frame in which the employer can appeal your receiving UE benefits, but you'd have to check with your state UE dept to know what that is.

Presumably if they weren't disagreeing with the reasons you stated to UE for your separation from your employer they wouldn't have responded.

Still, you have to admit it's weird they told UE you're still on their books as an employee, unless they spoke to someone at your previous employer who never actually interacted with you but is just going from wrong computer/paper records in the office.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Just got my benefits today Apparently UE must've got some sort of confirmation on Wed so they finally released it. Let's hope everything goes back to normal

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM

That's good to hear - bet you're relieved (now get back on the rollercoaster with the rest of us LOL)

Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyelie View Post
that's good to hear - bet you're relieved (now get back on the rollercoaster with the rest of us lol)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment