U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 AM

125 posts, read 998,522 times

Advertisements

The economy seems to be recovering a little bit and I am seeing thousands of job postings, so a logical explanation of why you might be unemployed still is because you fall into one of these categories.

1.) No college education - the unemployment rate for college grads is under 5%

2.) You are too picky about your job search. You essentially choose to be unemployed until the "perfect" job comes available with the "perfect" salary

3.) You just don't feel like working - with all the benefits extensions, you rather collect a check then work.

4.) You are a recent college grad with out any work experience / in-demand skill sets

5.) Age discrimination - only if you are 55 and older I can see this being an issue. Older workers typically demand a higher salary, have less energy and new innovative solutions.

6.) Poor social skills, hygiene issues, or poor appearance

I feel that most unemployed people don't understand economics and how the market works. If you spent 10 years as a mortgage broker and that market took a nose dive and you haven't had work in over a year in that field then it is time for you to refocus your energy on a new market that is hiring. There are jobs out there. Some of them require more education, less glamorous conditions, or may not be where your interests are BUT there are jobs available.

So would everyone stop saying there aren't any jobs available!!!
There is more than enough jobs available....YOU just don't want to train for them or accept their salary range.
We need to stop UI extension and let the market correct itself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 AM

194 posts, read 293,883 times
You have got to be kidding me with your comments. Thousands of jobs? Sure if you want to call any job posting a job just go to walmart they aren't even hiring,but your statement is so untrue. There are over 15 million people unemployed to get back to a 5% unemployment rate we need to create over 400,000 per month until 2013. Get your facts straight before you make comments like the above. Also do you really think that people enjoy being unenployed???

Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 AM

112 posts, read 310,126 times
LOL Gotta thank you for the laugh. Where are the thousands of jobs? Unless you live in a state with the unemployment rate under 8 percent...you've got to be kidding me with those remarks.

NO ONE'S jobs are secure. I feel bad for the peoiple who go around thinking that they can't get fired / let go and then one day comes and they're handed the pink slip. I'm unemployed and have a college education.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNicerThanYou View Post
LOL Gotta thank you for the laugh. Where are the thousands of jobs? Unless you live in a state with the unemployment rate under 8 percent...you've got to be kidding me with those remarks.

NO ONE'S jobs are secure. I feel bad for the peoiple who go around thinking that they can't get fired / let go and then one day comes and they're handed the pink slip. I'm unemployed and have a college education.
I typed in NURSING at indeed.com and there were 431,169 jobs available. (nationwide)
I typed in CUSTOMER SERVICE and there were 60,971 jobs available
I typed in PHYSICAL THERAPIST and there were 136,898 jobs available
I Typed in TELLER and there were 33,624 job available
the list goes on.

Last edited by misc.random; 06-06-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,444,684 times
Great just great another clueless troll badgering and baiting us...just what we need.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Great just great another clueless troll badgering and baiting us...just what we need.
Well, let me ask you, what field/position were you in before you became unemployed? How long have you been unemployed? WHY DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STILL UNEMPLOYED?

Do you honestly believe no organization is hiring at this moment?

Would you be willing to retrain for a different career if it meant having a new job?

By no means, am I saying that being unemployed isn't a serious issue right now. I just think more people will simply have to take a less paying job or a career in a new field if they want to be employed. That's how it works. If option A no longer exists then you have to go with option B instead of waiting years for option A to magically reappear.

Last edited by misc.random; 06-06-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM

854 posts, read 3,615,864 times
My industry is cutting jobs everywhere. So, I tried to get into the type of job that I was in 8 years ago, however, they want to know why I left, and they say they are concerned about how long I have been out (things change fast).

I recently started trying for entry level jobs in other industries. I found out the $ for one of them, and it would be too low to live on (would not even be able to pay for gas to get to work I think). I am not saying that I would not take a low paying job if one was offered to me, however, it would be very tough to manage. Plus why would they pick me (40 something and taking a lower paying job), over someone looking for entry level (out of college)?

There is also short term thinking and long term thinking. If I take a job out of my career path, or that I have a chance to fail at, then the next time I am looking for a job, I will have even more explaining to do and it will be even tougher. For example, I have the skills for a customer service job, as I have succeeded in customer service in the past. However, I know I would not have the patience now that I had 15 years ago, and there is the burn out factor, so I can picture myself getting fired and/or not succeeding.

I would also love to get a master's degree or certificate that would help me switch careers, however, I can not afford that right now. Also, there is no guarantee that this would help (my friend with a master's degree is having trouble because they also want 10 years of experience).

Last, the unemployment system does not make it easy for people to try different things to get a job. I temped last summer and my unemployment was reduced by $80 a week after that (benefit year). I was also at their mercy once I started. If I turned down work, I could have lost unemployment (for example, they decided to keep me an extra month, which was fine, however, they did not ask me....I remember thinking they were treating me like I was an office chair....lol!).

I am sure there are imperfect unemployed people, just like there are imperfect employed people. Not sure why people are so quick to judge.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,855,020 times
Default The Numbers

Why are people unemployed?

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics Job Opening and Labor Turnover Survey:
"In March 2010, there were 2.7 million job openings in the United States "
"In March 2010, there were 5.6 unemployed persons per job opening."
You do the math.

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

The next JOLTS release comes out tomorrow. I seriously doubt that major improvement will be shown.

There are not anywhere near enough jobs for even the most industrious, qualified, educated, determined or desperate job seekers.

PS: Note that these figures are based only of the 15+million unemployed number, and do not include the underemployed because they cannot find full-time permanant jobs, nor the "discouraged"workers who have stopped looking[or current U6 Unemployment rate of 16.6% versus the U3 of 9.7%]. Adding those numbers bring the total un/underemployed to 25.7 million people looking to fill those 2.7 million jobs.

Last edited by nj185; 06-06-2010 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
My industry is cutting jobs everywhere. So, I tried to get into the type of job that I was in 8 years ago, however, they want to know why I left, and they say they are concerned about how long I have been out (things change fast).

I recently started trying for entry level jobs in other industries. I found out the $ for one of them, and it would be too low to live on (would not even be able to pay for gas to get to work I think). I am not saying that I would not take a low paying job if one was offered to me, however, it would be very tough to manage. Plus why would they pick me (40 something and taking a lower paying job), over someone looking for entry level (out of college)?

There is also short term thinking and long term thinking. If I take a job out of my career path, or that I have a chance to fail at, then the next time I am looking for a job, I will have even more explaining to do and it will be even tougher. For example, I have the skills for a customer service job, as I have succeeded in customer service in the past. However, I know I would not have the patience now that I had 15 years ago, and there is the burn out factor, so I can picture myself getting fired and/or not succeeding.

I would also love to get a master's degree or certificate that would help me switch careers, however, I can not afford that right now. Also, there is no guarantee that this would help (my friend with a master's degree is having trouble because they also want 10 years of experience).

Last, the unemployment system does not make it easy for people to try different things to get a job. I temped last summer and my unemployment was reduced by $80 a week after that (benefit year). I was also at their mercy once I started. If I turned down work, I could have lost unemployment (for example, they decided to keep me an extra month, which was fine, however, they did not ask me....I remember thinking they were treating me like I was an office chair....lol!).

I am sure there are imperfect unemployed people, just like there are imperfect employed people. Not sure why people are so quick to judge.
No judgement. Simply stated logical arguments which you have proved. YOU chose not to take a low paying job (for whatever reason) even though there was work available.

I think there is a lot of entitlement issue with Americans. With globalization, more educated workforce globally, illegal immigration, H-1 visas, and lack of exports, we really need to bring some more SKILLS to the table to be competitive.

If you don't want a job because its low paying, not something that interest you, require more training/work....then someone else will take it and you will be left unemployed.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,433,882 times
Reneeme also said that the job didn't even pay enough to pay for the gas to get to work. The idea that it's "entitlement" thAT keeps people in that situation out of work is downright abusive. You wouldn't work for free. Why should Reneeme?

My problem is there aren't jobs in my industry. I've been out of work so long it's difficult to keep going. You lose hope after sending out the 1000th resume and going to the 100th interview only to hear them time and again say, we would hire you but we just don't have the work. A lot of people I heard have just "given up" and stay on unemployment.

I'm not on unemployment so I had to find work outside of my industry. Work that does NOT pay the bills. But what can I do?

Last edited by smartalx; 06-06-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment