Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should science seriously study UFOs ?
Yes, they could potentially be the greatest human scientific discovery of all time 26 40.63%
No. UFOs are bunk. 10 15.63%
No, UFOs impossible to realistically study 13 20.31%
Yes, we should at least try 13 20.31%
Don't know... 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

If they cannot account for what they are, they should be studied. I saw a UFO once. Was it a real UFO or me just not being able to identify it? You know, just because it's unidentified to me doesn't make it worthy of research. The air force or the weather people maybe knew what it was. Heck, the guy sitting in the car next to me may have known what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Many of the UFO stories are very compelling. It doesn't really matter if astronomers see them, or this group, or the air force, or this town sees them.
Actually, it does, because astronomers have a better understanding of what's in the sky than do most people. What you've stated is equivalent to saying it doesn't matter whether a property is appraised by a real estate appraiser or a perfume salesman.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
as I said: what we can perceive and/or replicate and subject to peer review.
So something that we cannot perceive and/or replicate and subject to peer review needs to be regarded seriously? Since I cannot see pink elephants on Mercury means I need to seriously consider their existence?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Actually, it does, because astronomers have a better understanding of what's in the sky than do most people. What you've stated is equivalent to saying it doesn't matter whether a property is appraised by a real estate appraiser or a perfume salesman.
To use a real estate analogy. It'd be like a homeowner finding an odd anomaly when inspecting a home. Or potential home buyers. Just because an appraiser or real estate agent doesn't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Haven't astronauts seen ufo's, or unexplained lights/phenomenon?

That Rendlesham Forest story would be like something odd happening right outside of a real estate appraiser convention. And some of the top people at the convention saw things they couldn't explain.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
UFO's by definition are UNIDENTIFIED flying objects. You comment is a misnomer.
Of course UFO's exist - otherwise they would all be identified, no one debates that. The OP tried to differentiate this, apparantly many did not read it well. The explanation and origination to explain UFOs is the one in question.

A UFO is not automatically classified or assumed to be of alien nature, and it shouldn't be, such assumption automatically dismisses a mass of explained and unexplained natural earthbound phonemeno, it simply means "unidentified".
There is probably a lot of natural earthbound phenomenon that has not been explained. That, I think is worthy of scientific study.

I don't think every sighting is of alien nature. Many of the sightings are probably natural lights. Like the nothern lights (aurora borealis). Maybe a very complicated combination of things going on (that could explain why these ufo's move so fast, and appear to defy human physics).

-Also to clarify. The descriptions under the poll results at the top of this thread, sort of assumes ufo's are alien in nature.

"Yes, they could potentially be the greatest human scientific discovery of all time." I think that implies, of alien origin. I dont think natural unexplained lights from earth would be considered one of the greatest human scientific discoveries of all time. This is where I got confused. Looking at the poll, and the title, "Are UFO's a phenomenon worthy of scientific study?"

Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
This is worth watching.

YouTube - ‪Stephen Hawking: Asking big questions about the universe‬‎

Old 08-06-2010, 05:42 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
The astronomer thing is ridiculous. People who watch the country-military,radar operators etc have reported craft. People who are actually in the skies i.e pilots commercial and military have reported them aswell.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
To use a real estate analogy. It'd be like a homeowner finding an odd anomaly when inspecting a home. Or potential home buyers. Just because an appraiser or real estate agent doesn't see it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Haven't astronauts seen ufo's, or unexplained lights/phenomenon?

That Rendlesham Forest story would be like something odd happening right outside of a real estate appraiser convention. And some of the top people at the convention saw things they couldn't explain.
Astronomers do not see UFO's because they can identify all objects in the sky. Non-astronomers, who are not experts on what's observable in the sky, are the only people who can see objects which cannot be identified.

Astronauts have seen odd phenomenon. However, to this date, no alien spacecraft or anything of the sort.

I'm not familiar with the Rendlesham Forest story. Let me guess -- a bunch of lay people saw an iridium flare and assumed it was an alien spacecraft looking for people to beam up?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Rendlesham Forest story. Let me guess -- a bunch of lay people saw an iridium flare and assumed it was an alien spacecraft looking for people to beam up?
It was pretty interesting.

Rendlesham Forest incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - ‪The Rendlesham Forest Incident - Part 1/3‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Rendlesham Forest Incident - Part 2/3‬‎

YouTube - ‪The Rendlesham Forest Incident - Part 3/3‬‎

Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,413 times
Red face Are UFO's a pheomeon worthy of scientific study?

Of course it is. We have documented proof on Channel 5 news that there were sitings on June 30th, July 8th and around July 19 with film footage to prove it. The object was triangular in shape and about a football field in length.

In March of 2010 a wave of UFO sighting were seen over Ohio.

Just recently released to the public on March 13, 1987 then Governor of Arizona, Jefe Simington witnessed what is called the "Pheonix Lights" approximately a football field in length. This was considered a major sighting and was not revealed to the public due to fear of panic.

I believe it was President Jimmy Carter who made a campaign promise that if he was elected he would make know the file on UFO's. Well he was elected President and nothing further was spoken of any UFO investigation.

To believe or not to believe is up to you...I believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal