Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should science seriously study UFOs ?
Yes, they could potentially be the greatest human scientific discovery of all time 26 40.63%
No. UFOs are bunk. 10 15.63%
No, UFOs impossible to realistically study 13 20.31%
Yes, we should at least try 13 20.31%
Don't know... 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

Careful... I'm not asking if they are spaceships piloted by little green men or mass delusions. I make no preconceptions about what they are/aren't. All I am curious to know about is if you think UFOs are a subject truly worthy of scientific study, and why/why not. Whatdaya think?

Last edited by Chango; 07-29-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Yes, I think they should be studied, if they aren't already being studied. These objects have been seen for a long long time, and there have been many sightings that seem to be the same phenonema in size, shape and speed. I read William Cooper's book, "Behold a Pale Horse", and his account of seeing an object while in the Navy, was convincing enough to believe, that maybe they are being studied and the public is just not made aware what they are.
I have seen some strange things in the sky, I am not positive what they are, but they are unidentifiable to me.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 PM

My thought is no, even though I believe there is something to the whole thing. The problem is we can never get anywhere past: "WTF is that weird thing in the sky!?" It's a random event and cannot be observed in controlled and unbiased circumstances, plus the case history is polluted with hoaxes to the point where you just cannot determine what is BS and what is legitimately weird.

I guess we just can't know some things...

Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Yes they should. There have been too many reports from reliable people to discount that something is there. And we need to stop deriding those who report them as something less than stable. Mysteries that repeat over time usually have something behind them. If we approached a study of ufo sitings and evidence with something other than outerspace gods or a pre determined debunking we might actually find out. Science is about discovery, not politics or popular culture, and should be allowed to do its thing and make its own interpretation.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Careful... I'm not asking if they are spaceships piloted by little green men or mass delusions. I make no preconceptions about what they are/aren't. All I am curious to know about is if you think UFOs are a subject truly worthy of scientific study, and why/why not. Whatdaya think?
Yes...absolutely. In fact, much scientific study has been and is given to this subject. When you have people such as a former U.S. President , U.S. General, Astronauts from their Craft in outer space , many hundreds of common folks /police officers / Arizona Governor in the Phoenix Lights case and many other valid cases...the phenominon demands aggresive scientific pursuit. Billions of U.S. Dollars have been sunk into the SETI Program and will continue in hopes of establishing contact with intelligence ; the many credible UFO sightings is part of the catalyst for SETI . That said, I think UFO study and the SETI Program should be put on indefinite hold until the U.S. Government gets a handle on the current financial mess of the nation . So...yes, i think its valueable but not more important than the more pressing needs we face as a nation that demand our attention.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I would say 99% of the "UFOs" are probably alien planetary "probes" sent to recover data about the planet (much like the probes we sent out to study our solar system)... a good deal can be learned about these probes (technology wise)... Its too far of a distance to travel for any alien civilization to get to this planet without knowing if there is something here that is even "worthwhile" for them, probes doesn't care about the "time" element... I find it amusing that people think aliens "arrived"... if they were to make the trek over here and judging by the arrival of these probes in the 20th century, it will be many long years before the first visit will occur... beyond your lifetime or mine...

Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Yes they should. There have been too many reports from reliable people to discount that something is there.
Wrong. There are 100,000 astronomers on this planet, both amateur and professional, and none of them ever see alien spacecraft, even though astronomers spend more time than anybody else studying the sky.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 AM

58 posts, read 185,747 times
Isn't it interesting that the frequency of UFO sightings is inversely proportional to the amount of cameras, camera-equipped cell phones and camcorders available at a given location?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Wrong. There are 100,000 astronomers on this planet, both amateur and professional, and none of them ever see alien spacecraft, even though astronomers spend more time than anybody else studying the sky.
Here's a good reason or three: Why Don't More Astronomers Report Seeing UFOs? | TDG - Science, Magick, Myth and History

Plus it is incorrect to say no astronomer has ever seen or reported a UFO. A simple google search disproves that.

Beyond that, anyone who actually does astronomy for a living would be committing career suicide to come out in public and and say they saw a flying saucer too, so there there strong reasons to stay silent if/when they happen observe something unexplainable.

Bottom line, that isn't good proof against the existence of UFOs at all.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I would say 99% of the "UFOs" are probably alien planetary "probes" sent to recover data about the planet (much like the probes we sent out to study our solar system)... a good deal can be learned about these probes (technology wise)... Its too far of a distance to travel for any alien civilization to get to this planet without knowing if there is something here that is even "worthwhile" for them, probes doesn't care about the "time" element... I find it amusing that people think aliens "arrived"... if they were to make the trek over here and judging by the arrival of these probes in the 20th century, it will be many long years before the first visit will occur... beyond your lifetime or mine...
This is why they arent travelling huge light year distances, but rather, they are appearing and disappearing from and into different planes at a moments notice. Theres alot of film showing them disappearing then reappearing soon afterward --- I doubt they are materializing then dematerializing...rather, their Crafts are simply moving beyond our finite realm to another plane (of infinity). At any rate, theres too much scientific evidence including first hand credible U.S. Government witnesses to just blow it off to 'weather balloons, testing of our new aircrafts , reflection of lights ,etc...' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal