Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the world will end in 2012?
Yes...the end is near! 4 7.84%
No...it's a bunch of baloney. 40 78.43%
I'm still undecided. 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

Not worried.

Let's find something else to cry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
The Mayan date of 2012 is based on the use of the number 13 in the Long Count system of the calendar. However, to use the Long Count system, you must base it on the use of 20. Doing so, in the Mayan calendar means the end of "time" runs out in roughly 8000 AD.

The use of the number 13 in the Long Count Mayan calendar does indicate a significant event, however, it does not portend the end of the world, and also doesn't indicate a NEW calendar. Something may happen, but I don't think it will be Armageddon.

But then again, there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole, and I will be fully stocked and loaded with plenty of time to spare...just in case.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The Mayan date of 2012 is based on the use of the number 13 in the Long Count system of the calendar. However, to use the Long Count system, you must base it on the use of 20. Doing so, in the Mayan calendar means the end of "time" runs out in roughly 8000 AD.

The use of the number 13 in the Long Count Mayan calendar does indicate a significant event, however, it does not portend the end of the world, and also doesn't indicate a NEW calendar. Something may happen, but I don't think it will be Armageddon.

But then again, there is no such thing as an atheist in a fox hole, and I will be fully stocked and loaded with plenty of time to spare...just in case.
I'll make the same deal with all of the people who think that the world will end in 2012, or those who think that Christ is coming back tomorrow.

Just sign all of your property and financial assets over to me, and I promise I will take care of your pets when you're gone, as well as any relatives that you have that didn't quite make it.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
I have always found the dedciphering and interpreting of Nostradamus predictions to be fascinating, although, I suppose that you have to question the interpretations as they were after all, just interpretations. This guy does not have to be interpreted as what he predicts is very straightforward...

As the scientist who helped eradicate smallpox he certainly know a thing or two about extinction.

And now Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has predicted that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.

He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption'.

Since humans entered an unofficial scientific period known as the Anthropocene - the time since industrialisation - we have had an effect on the planet that rivals any ice age or comet impact, he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...explosion.html

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-30-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
II intend to have a "we're still here" party December 22, 2012. who's with me?
LMAO! I hope Prince will do a remake of 1999. "Two thousand one two party over opps, out of time!" Din nin nin nin nin nin!!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have always found the dedciphering and interpreting of Nostradamus predictions to be fascinating, although I suppose thatyou have to question the interpretations as they were after all, just interpretaions. This guy does not have to be interpreted as what he predicts is very straightforward...

As the scientist who helped eradicate smallpox he certainly know a thing or two about extinction.

And now Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has predicted that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.

He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption.
Human race 'will be extinct 'within 100 years due to population explosion' | Mail Online

Since humans entered an unofficial scientific period known as the Anthropocene - the time since industrialisation - we have had an effect on the planet that rivals any ice age or comet impact, he said.
I look at Nostradamus's predictions as this.

If you put 100 monkeys in a room, with 100 type writers, they'll eventually write the entire works of Shakespeare. Well, given enough time, and vagueness, the prophecies of Nostradamus will come true.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'll make the same deal with all of the people who think that the world will end in 2012, or those who think that Christ is coming back tomorrow.

Just sign all of your property and financial assets over to me, and I promise I will take care of your pets when you're gone, as well as any relatives that you have that didn't quite make it.
I think the world will end (or is supposed to end as long as we don't screw it up more than we already have) around 8000 AD +/- 1%

But as I said, I plan on sticking around...but being ready for those idiots who panic and get some crazy notions or if something does happen, but doesn't end us (which is worst case scenario) to be fed and safe for quite a bit. And as far as pets, & loved ones...the dogs need to eat too...and if you're not with me "at home" then you weren't really in the circle of trust!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,525 times
Quote:
You know why he's saying that? Because virtually nobody alive today will be able to call him on it when he's wrong....

Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:

He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption'.
So maybe the human race should start worrying about how our own errors could lead to our own demise?

Legitimate threats, I suppose.

Just saying.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
You know why he's saying that? Because virtually nobody alive today will be able to call him on it when he's wrong....
I get your point, but I doubt that a world famous brilliant scientist is resorting to pranks. I'm sure that his writings will be around for future generations to read and remark on. If he is wrong, time will document him as being so. What you are saying is that we will never know for sure, but I tend to agree with his reasoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal