Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 09:55 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,861,296 times

Advertisements

it really depends on what you are looking for and how detailed you need your image to be. The ones you have linked to are very 'pretty' but are not intended to be used to close detailed work.

Although the main asteroid is visible, the periphery has been sanitised, the edges have been changed to straight lines or cut off, the background has been cleaned and altered. This is the kind of thing I mean when I say that images have been tampered with. The above red colour on the right shows areas that have no detail in them at all and are pure black (RGB pixel valiues 0,0,0 on the greyscale)

Why would all those changes be necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:51 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
You do realize that it is 4 different views of the same rock, don't you? Take a good look at the view, top left and tell me what you think has been altered or hidden.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:22 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,861,296 times
Of course I realise that. Why would it be necessary for ESA to make all those changes in the overall image? Read my post again. I have acknowledged that this is perfectly good for what most people want.

I am asking why all this changing of the overall image needs to be done, thats all. It seems like a total waste of time - just shrink each image, place it in one corner and publish it.

The Japanese JAXA images of Hayabusa are the same from The JAXA site here For some reason, they all seem to do it, which makes it even more strange than if just one space agency did it.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Of course I realise that. Why would it be necessary for ESA to make all those changes in the overall image? Read my post again. I have acknowledged that this is perfectly good for what most people want.

I am asking why all this changing of the overall image needs to be done, thats all. It seems like a total waste of time - just shrink each image, place it in one corner and publish it.

The Japanese JAXA images of Hayabusa are the same from The JAXA site here For some reason, they all seem to do it, which makes it even more strange than if just one space agency did it.
Each of the 4 images were taken at different exposures...Why not e-mail them to find out why they are published this way? I assume they are reduced so that they can be viewed online.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,711,562 times
Yep. It could be that the spacecraft doesn't even bother to transmit the part of the image that's not of the subject in question. Or the setting the exposure such that details can be seen washes out the dim stars in the background. Or lots of other reasonable technical options.

But no, let's let ignorance guide us to the obvious conclusion - NASA is censoring these images because they hide evidence of an imminent alien invasion from the Moon. Or maybe Mars. Or now it's an asteroid. Maybe it's all three - the story keeps changing so who knows?

Old 11-30-2010, 07:00 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,711,562 times
It would be refreshing to get a straight answer to a question instead of unrelated links to videos with no comment by the person who posts them. I can only assume this tactic is popular because the posters can't answer these simple questions.

Anyone willing to sit through two hours of video in the hope that it somehow discusses the exact pictures given as examples in this thread? No, me neither. But I'm sure we'll be accused of ignoring the truth or whatever the conspiracy theory buzz-words are for not doing their research for them.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM

884 posts, read 715,976 times
Tomorrow we may have the answer !!!

Rumor roundup: Has NASA discovered Alien life?

FoxNews.com - Rumor Roundup: Has NASA Discovered Alien Life?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,677,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Tomorrow we may have the answer !!!

Rumor roundup: Has NASA discovered Alien life?

FoxNews.com - Rumor Roundup: Has NASA Discovered Alien Life?
Yep. Already posted a day or so ago in the A&A forum. But...it's probably a new life form on earth, that doesn't fit the parameters of life as we currently know it.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM

7,073 posts, read 12,335,570 times
NASA (aka, Never A Straight Answer) is NOT going to announce the discovery of life (small or advanced) outside of Earth. Have they discovered such life? YES!!! Will they announce it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal