Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times

Advertisements

This thread was generated by a conversation in the thread about the new earthlike planet being discovered. Urbancharlotte seems to be laboring under the misconception that modern man today is incapable of replicating the pyramids. Here's one of the responses he/she made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The heaviest stones in the burial chamber are nearly nine tons (and we're still ignoring the nearly hundred ton stones found in other megaliths around the world). It goes back to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) when it comes to building. The KISS way would have been using smaller stones. They used BIG stones because gravity was obviously not an issue for them (thus, bigger stones was the easier-faster way). If you want to know more about this topic, check out the link below and read what some "experts" are saying. I don't agree with them totally, but they do a good job of explaining why heavy lift cranes could not have done this job (and the alien theory is actually mentioned). For me, it is hard to dismiss the alien theory when I know our government is trying to cover-up the pyramids (and face next to them) we found on Mars. I guess the ancient Egyptians built those Martian pyramids too huh? ROTFLMAO!!!
My contention is that we are perfectly capable of building the pyramids today. It's not a matter of technology being lacking, it would be a matter of the money to do it. Oh, the Mars thing...that's another thread entirely, because there's reams of refutatory evidence for that one, too.

Discuss why you do or do not believe we could replicate the pyramids with our technology today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
I don't believe aliens had anything to do with it. I believe to say so is somewhat disrespectful to those that labored for years to do it, this is an article I read about the subject, it pretty much explains it. I know there are people that a desperate to link aliens to everything, but I dont buy into it.

How Were The Egyptian Pyramids Built?

From the article
"Once the stones were at the construction site, ramps were built to get them into place on the pyramid, said Redford. These ramps were made of mud brick and coated with chips of plaster to harden the surface. "If they consistently raised the ramp course by course as the teams dragged their blocks up, they could have gotten them into place fairly easily," he noted. At least one such ramp still exists, he said.

When answering to skepticism about how such heavy stones could have been moved without machinery, Redford says, "I usually show the skeptic a picture of 20 of my workers at an archaeological dig site pulling up a two-and-a-half ton granite block." He added, "I know it's possible because I was on the ropes too."

Old 10-01-2010, 07:36 AM

I remember watching an interesting documentary once about how some of the huge obelisks were raised into place. Apparently, they were dragged up short ramps using rolling logs underneath them, and then at the end of the ramp would be a giant, constructed-above-ground pit full of sand. The heavier, wider base of the obelisk would be dragged over the sand pit, while the lighter top half was left on firm ground. Then doors at the bottom of the pit opened to allow the sand to flow out. As the sand level decreased in the pit, gravity would pull on the now unsupported base of the obelisk, the edge of the ramp acted as the fulcrum, and the obelisk would slowly slide into place using the principles of leverage and gravity. When the sand was gone, the obelisk would be practically upright, and could be easily maneuvered by ropes into a nice vertical position, then secured.

Nothing alien nor magical about it. Simple physics, and using the planet's own gravity to do the hard work.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I remember watching an interesting documentary once about how some of the huge obelisks were raised into place. Apparently, they were dragged up short ramps using rolling logs underneath them, and then at the end of the ramp would be a giant, constructed-above-ground pit full of sand. The heavier, wider base of the obelisk would be dragged over the sand pit, while the lighter top half was left on firm ground. Then doors at the bottom of the pit opened to allow the sand to flow out. As the sand level decreased in the pit, gravity would pull on the now unsupported base of the obelisk, the edge of the ramp acted as the fulcrum, and the obelisk would slowly slide into place using the principles of leverage and gravity. When the sand was gone, the obelisk would be practically upright, and could be easily maneuvered by ropes into a nice vertical position, then secured.

Nothing alien nor magical about it. Simple physics, and using the planet's own gravity to do the hard work.
Yes I saw something similar to that. My husband is in construction, he actually watched a show on it and thought they set the standard. LOL. I marveled at the ingenuity and determination and down right back breaking work these people did. I am an architect and pride myself on my designs, but theirs was truly amazing.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Here is another great site with some photos. Pretty interesting.

How were the Pyramids built?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Oh, and don't forget using ropes saturated with abrasive materials and water as cutting blades. I've also seen that demonstrated, and damned if it's not just the most ingenius way to cut blocks of stone. I make jewelry as a hobby, and I can tell you a simple string with polishing compound on it can rub a groove into metal quicker than you can say "oh sh*t". Not only that, a simple knowledge of cleaveage planes in different types of stone makes it pretty straightforward to split a gigantic granite block with simple hand tools.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-01-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget using ropes saturated with abrasive materials and water as cutting blades. I've also seen that demonstrated, and damned if it's not just the most ingenius way to cut blocks of stone. I make jewelry as a hobby, and I can tell you a simple string with polishing compound on it can rub a groove into metal quicker than you can say "oh sh*t".
Oh, I believe it. My husband has used some pretty interesting materials to do things. I need a hobby, a release. I was thinking stained glass.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I don't believe aliens had anything to do with it. I believe to say so is somewhat disrespectful to those that labored for years to do it, this is an article I read about the subject, it pretty much explains it. I know there are people that a desperate to link aliens to everything, but I dont buy into it.

How Were The Egyptian Pyramids Built?

From the article
"Once the stones were at the construction site, ramps were built to get them into place on the pyramid, said Redford. These ramps were made of mud brick and coated with chips of plaster to harden the surface. "If they consistently raised the ramp course by course as the teams dragged their blocks up, they could have gotten them into place fairly easily," he noted. At least one such ramp still exists, he said.

When answering to skepticism about how such heavy stones could have been moved without machinery, Redford says, "I usually show the skeptic a picture of 20 of my workers at an archaeological dig site pulling up a two-and-a-half ton granite block." He added, "I know it's possible because I was on the ropes too."
Hey I'll go you one better.........WHO CARES????????

Whether they were or weren't is nothing but pure SPECULATION...and speculating upon it will not get us any further than we are now.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hey I'll go you one better.........WHO CARES????????

Whether they were or weren't is nothing but pure SPECULATION...and speculating upon it will not get us any further than we are now.
Well, if it was somehow proven that aliens DID build the pyramids, then I'd probably care. But it's patently obvious that they were built by human beings, no magic required and no alien technology required.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Discuss why you do or do not believe we could replicate the pyramids with our technology today.
I am glad you decided to start a thread on this topic. It shows that you at least took my argument seriously (because I was being serious). I understand that my views are "out there", but I do have my reasons.

One of the biggest myths about the face and Pyramids on Mars is that we re-photographed the area in question and came up with nothing. For those of you that believe this (I used to believe it too) should really watch this video.

YouTube - Life On MARS? - New Scientific Evidence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal