Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: edit this is an original work by yours truly. An account I wrote of a backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps of Northern CA. Gordon and Laurie agreed that this account was accurate to the best of our rememberaces.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

The following is a true story.
Snippet:
Think what you may about the supernatural, but there was something about Sugar Pine Lake, something odd. Something that makes me wonder.

The year was 1987. It was late August and it seemed like a good idea to go on a backpacking trip in the Trinity Mountains (north of Weaverville, CA). So my friend Gordon, his wife, Laurie and I took the six hour drive to Weaverville.

Gordon is an insurance agent. At the time, his wife was a secretary and yours truly was a Social Services case worker. Now I share this bit of personal information so you will realize that the three of us are sensible people. Down to earth, perhaps a little boring in some ways, but regular folk. As a rule, secretaries, insurance salesmen and government bureaucrats are not known as the sort of people who are given to flights of fancy.

Moderator cut: Link to rest of story: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=42827

Link about the trail and pics of lake:

http://trinityalpsphoto.blogspot.com/2007/12/sugar-pine-lake.html

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Re-formatted in order to adhere to city-data's "copyright rules"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
A bit bland for my taste, sierrasam.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,221,768 times
Nothing personal but that little tale wouldn't scare a Brownie troop.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Not all ghost stories are intended to be scary. Some are vaguely romantic and some are "haunting" the way a ballad can be haunting. To be honest if there were ghosts, I don't believe in them as such, I think most of them would be basically benign or at least as benign as living people.

The closest to "scary ghost" stories I've heard of real life involve ghosts that are "territorial." Like you go into a specific room and the door locks then pots fly at you. The idea being that is "their room" and they don't want you there. However once the person left nothing happened and as I recall they weren't seriously injured.

That story aside I don't really believe in ghosts even though I don't know what caused that incident. Which granted I find that unsatisfactory as I do like things to have an explanation. Ghosts just don't fit my concept of the supernatural and also do not fit as a natural explanation. (I guess it could be "The Devil" but for a variety of reasons it is best not to invoke the Devil as a go-to explanation for anything)

Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM

494 posts, read 890,103 times
Ghosts don't exist. There are perfectly normal and natural explanations for everything that is claimed to be 'supernatural'.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A bit bland for my taste, sierrasam.
Whatever. Most people like my story, esp the folk at work. And my time at TOL was quite an experience. As a Christian I found that place a bit scary.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Whatever. Most people like my story, esp the folk at work. And my time at TOL was quite an experience. As a Christian I found that place a bit scary.
Nothing wrong with your story, it's just that it's hard to be afraid of something I don't believe in.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:49 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
I thought it was a good story.........and well told.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nothing wrong with your story, it's just that it's hard to be afraid of something I don't believe in.
I imagine that's true, but I think I've been scared by stories involving things I don't believe in. (UFOs, zombies, etc.) If you can get caught up in a story the premise doesn't have to be believable per-se. I think it's called "suspension of disbelief."

Old 10-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Well I do have to admit that certain stories, particularly when made into movies that skillfully use suspense, and the startle effect certainly do make me jump, so much so that I'd rather not watch them.....Alfred Hitchcock was the master of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal